P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Interesting thoughts on metal.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Professor Black

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invictus Productions wrote:
I thought Choosing Death was Death Metal history for dummies. Not well written, up Earache's ass and not nearly as analytical as it should have been.

I haven't read it, but I tend to find "insider" histories problematic, precisely because they have loyalties to mind, whether it's to Earache or to a particular political agenda, as in the case of Lords of Chaos. They also have to worry about selling copies, of course, which reduced a lot of "Sound of the Beast" to something Scott Ian would be reading off of cue cards on VH1.

The best books I've ever read about metal were written by academics, and are here:

http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Metal-Sociology-Deena-Weinstein/dp/0669218375/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224185379&sr=8-2

New edition, which I haven't seen:

http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Metal-Music-Culture-Revised/dp/0306809702/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224185379&sr=8-1

And one that is completely awesome in terms of documenting the musical tropes (despite using Van Halen in several examples):

http://www.amazon.com/Running-Devil-Gender-Madness-Culture/dp/0819562602/ref=sid_dp_dp

Note that these pretty much stop after the 80s, so if your experience with metal pretty much starts with the 90s, you'd probably find the other books more entertaining.
dreamethereal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreamethereal wrote:
I don't understand why everyone seems to love Lords Of Chaos (the book). I think it was poorly written and doesn't really talk about the music enough.

Choosing Death was a good read though...

Beacuse from a cultural, socio-political viewpoint, which the book was ultimately coming from, the music is secondary. The central tenet of Lords of Chaos was "what provoked & inpsired these musicians to adhere to such ideals and philosophies and the influence it then had".

I thought Choosing Death was Death Metal history for dummies. Not well written, up Earache's ass and not nearly as analytical as it should have been.

Regarding Amon Amarth's music; I've never really been a fan though I like some of their songs. They're the Manowar of Death Metal is many respects and their music is entertaining.

A friend of mine met the author of LoC once who coincidentally is not a metal fan. I guess maybe that explains the approach. Either way I would consider that a weak attempt as to the "why" of black metal crimes, etc.

Even though I plan to pursue my master's degree in creative writing, I would really like to write some type of black metal historical account and focus specifically on the music.
Invictus Productions

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the LOC chapter 'Resurgent Atavism' was one of the central parts of the book. For Black Metal history, music wise, fanzines are your man. I find the factors that influence the music more interesting that hearing someone talk about the actual music.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I picked up a copy of the Swedish Death Metal book by Daniel Ekeroth and I'm hoping it will be a worthy investment. I am hopeful because right in the introductory chapter he promises to avoid what I consider the most glaring pitfall in most of the books on metal I've read have. They focus on the superficial aspects that surround the music but spend little time discussing the music itself. This is why I heavily disliked Lords of Chaos. The individuals who made up the Norwegian scene, removed from the music they created, were the same breed of bored and restless teenagers found the world over. I have precious little interest in church burnings, murders and other acts are merely sensational and really don't have anything to do with the music itself. Folks that age have been doing moronic shit for a long long time. Take out burning a church and insert joining a gang or robbing a convenience store. Makes zero difference to me. What matters is the timeless music these individuals created. I'll go further to say that to me really that is the only thing that matters.

Articles like this, again the author spends too much time on superficial aspects. For someone whose primary focus and concern is always with the music this really couldn't be any less relevant. It works with sweeping generalizations and has little, if anything, to do with music.
The_Elite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the LOC chapter 'Resurgent Atavism' was one of the central parts of the book.

Which is pretty much why the book was written- he wanted to make Varg his new poster boy.

People forget that when Lords Of Chaos came out it sold relatively few copies (mainly because it had little or no distribution) and it wasn't till a good many years later that it became some sort of black metal 101 for the commercial metal fan/layman.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal
Country
Old Westerns
Horror

Why does it matter what you like and why always the need to subject separations on intersts.
An insane satanic psycho can like Lust and Johhny Cash all the same.

The sad thing is the current need to turn metal into a common marketable crap fest like the pop music scene or rap scene.
Trying to turn the genre into a commonly acceptable and understandable life style for the main market just results in mindless and endless crap being created, and not just albums alone.
That retarded Headbangers Journey... a direct result of being gay and feeling a need to explain why you like metal to parents or teachers, to the main masses of pop orientated populations... soon Britney Spears and Cradle of Filth will tour together and everyone will love one another.

I hope I die by the sword long before.
vugelnox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:

That retarded Headbangers Journey... a direct result of being gay and feeling a need to explain why you like metal to parents or teachers, to the main masses of pop orientated populations.

I enjoyed that documentary primarily because it didn't do that, offer "excuses" for why metal is what it is. It didn't go in any great depth or detail but I had no expectations of it doing so. The director also didn't rely on endless hyperbole as the basis for everything he discussed (unlike Sound of the Beast, another shoddily written tome on metal). While he failed to point anything out that any respectable and perceptive metalhead wouldn't think to be common sense he wasn't an idiot either and was fairly astute in his observations. Perhaps a B- effort.
greenmonster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amon Amarth itself isn't too bad, but (for the most part) "viking metal fans" are idiots. Stupid article imo.
krawling kaos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Black wrote:
Thesis: Metal is the new alternative.

Sub-thesis: Metal has more relevance to politics than indie rock.

Support 1: Indie rock is sometimes very lame, its fans lamer.

Support 2: Metalheads do not dress androgynously.

Support 3: I am building my entire argument based on imagery and fashion. Music is irrelevant to what I am saying. I do not actually listen to music. I watch it.

Conclusion: It turns out that I am not capable of writing anything meaningful on this subject. Here is a barnyard analogy to prove it. The vacancy of Amon Amarth's songwriting may have something to do with this all, but I can't be certain.

Yes, Goldenbull, you do need Isten back issues.

Damn, I wish Professor Black was my Comp 102 professor.
I'm not being sarcastic, the guy's smart.
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always really astounded that people are so suprised about and dislike LOC so much. Any background on Moynihan and Blood Axis makes his agenda quite clear and as such I really quite like the book - but I had been into his music and writings for some years before it came out. Being a sociology graduate may also help in that respect haha.

Personally, I find books that are just lists of dates, albums and tours about as boring as watching paint dry. The Swedish DM book is quite good though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: