P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Interesting info, taking care of records and stylus
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Interesting info, taking care of records and stylus Reply with quote

Here...
http://www.needledoctor.com/Cleaning-Vinyl-Methods;jsessionid=0a0108431f43154429b3723e42ee9c819c57a74c3657.e3eSbNyQc3mLe34Pa38Ta38MaNz0
IXTAB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 22 pages?! I'll have to read it when I have a chance, but in the meantime...

I have problems with static, so much that the turntable mat often sticks to the bottom of the vinyl when I pull it off the turntable. Of course, records then become dust magnets. Does anyone have good suggestions for dealing with this? The humidity level in the room isn't low (50-60%), so I don't know what the root problem is. I've been thinking of spraying the turntable mat with Static Guard, but I don't know if that's bad for vinyl.
3. Memes
4. Ebonics

e-mail ixtab[at]nwnprod[dot]com regarding forum account activation or problems
minge-eater

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the easy way of doing this, is to leave your lps sealed and never play them , like a lot of these freak vinyl collectors.

Im gonna smash a couple of lps on the heads of my polish neighbours , instead of throwing the usual melted ice cream over them.

TRUE KVNT
Descension twat of the year
CR99

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IXTAB wrote:
Wow, 22 pages?! I'll have to read it when I have a chance, but in the meantime...

I have problems with static, so much that the turntable mat often sticks to the bottom of the vinyl when I pull it off the turntable. Of course, records then become dust magnets. Does anyone have good suggestions for dealing with this? The humidity level in the room isn't low (50-60%), so I don't know what the root problem is. I've been thinking of spraying the turntable mat with Static Guard, but I don't know if that's bad for vinyl.

I have a anti static carbon fibre brush for vinyls which costs around 5-12. before you play you have to brush the vinyl for some turns.
still a little bit of statics on some of the glossy vinylsleeves, but they don't collect much dust at all.
shit-faced

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's the original mat of the record player it could also help to replace it with an antistatic slipmat.
IXTAB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a carbon-fiber brush, but I'm not sure if it's "anti-static." It doesn't seem to help very much. The turntable mat I'm using is from the WITCHFINDER GENERAL die-hard.
3. Memes
4. Ebonics

e-mail ixtab[at]nwnprod[dot]com regarding forum account activation or problems
monsterSquad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the patience to read all of this right now, but what I do is first clean the stylus with this Japanese solution that I purchased at sleeve city, I let that air dry, then give the record a quick brushing in the direction of the grooves with this special Nagayaka (spelling??) brush. It's very soft.

I use the nunslaughter slipmat, that seems to reduce static. not sure if it's made to or not.

I have read somewhere in the past that you should clean the records before you play them by brushing them as small particles of vinyl can actually melt into the grooves. I never followed the rule until recently, but I haven't noticed any difference. I just play them and I'm happy with that.
brown growth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clean the stylus after every couple records with this Japanese shit I bought online. I clean my records with Phoenix record cleaning solution (you can buy either a liter or a gallon at a time!) and a record cleaning brush every time I play them. This may be a tad overboard but I also wash my hands before I start listening to records as well. I'm not too fond of oily fingerprints on my precious babies.
monsterSquad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brown growth wrote:
I clean the stylus after every couple records with this Japanese shit I bought online. I clean my records with Phoenix record cleaning solution (you can buy either a liter or a gallon at a time!) and a record cleaning brush every time I play them. This may be a tad overboard but I also wash my hands before I start listening to records as well. I'm not too fond of oily fingerprints on my precious babies.

that's not overboard at all man, i always wash my hands before i play any record or even touch the sleeve. also, I don't recommend using that phoenix solution, i recommend using a brush instead. i found buildup and mildew from using that solution man.

and by the way....i never touch the groove on the record. only the edge
Chit019

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People actually play their records? that's madness.

After reading all the care you guys put on your records before and after playing them, I feel like a reckless person.
monsterSquad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chit019 wrote:
People actually play their records? that's madness.

After reading all the care you guys put on your records before and after playing them, I feel like a reckless person.

yeah man, this is not the Sunn0 forum. I play every fucking record I own, but I am careful with them.

I am careful with everything i own, I don't want to live in a dirty scumfucker pigsty, if you think it's cool to break your own shit on purpose then do it.

but i invite you to my home to listen to records and drink beers/whiskey anytime you want, i am justs very neat and clean with them.
Bestial Aggressor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clean vinyl, lighter fuel and a cloth does the trick (no shit) . Also good for removing price tags that some retarded retailers insist on putting on sleeves..
Straxus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i get used Lps, I clean them with shampoo (the shit for hair cleaning) and dry them with a spounge...

I must buy another equipment... poor sound from my shit... Besides the needle too...

I dont see the point of buying Lps, if you are not going to listen the vynils... I collect vynils to see them and to hear them...
GROUND ZERO Entertainment

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need one of these for static:

I've had mine for 25+ years & they work like a charm...
they used to be made by a US company called DISCWASHER, mine came in a kit along with a record cleaning brush:

& stylus cleaning brush:

and the 2 kinds of solution...
apparently they are now made in the UK by a company called MILTLY...

I see they have gone waaay up in price though....I got the kit with: STATIC GUN, Record Cleaning Brush, Stylus Cleaning Brush, & Record Solution, and stylus solution for maybe $20 or $30 total...
looks like they are trying to get $75+ for just the gun...but they do work amazingly well!!
www.red-sky-design.com/GZEmailorder.htm
Good Trades: NWN! / H.H.R. / No Sign Of Life / LIE IN RUINS / BLOOD HARVEST / Asphyxiate / Prof. BLACK / Axa Valaha / Bloody Prod. / SONIC TEMPLE / Kuravilu / Death Dealer
Karan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Chemical Engineer here? Well, my father was one, and he told me once that Isopropil Alcohol was a safe bet for cleaning stylus...and even records in itself...he was also a big record collector so I guess it is a kinda safe bet...and it is not expensive to buy just a few of that alcohol.
In any case, I just bought a new stylus for my everyday use stereo (a Fischer one).
I think that vinyls need to be taken care by cleanig them in an almost dry state and try to avoid any kind of liquids...those special brushes seems to be the perfect solution, although there is the thing of static...well, no one said it was going to be easy any way! Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: