P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Watain
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dhorshonkari

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacrilegio wrote:
....just another White Metal band....

How do you figure that? As in, not Satanic? Well that ain't true 'cause whether you like their tunes or not, Watain is for Satan all the way. Or do you mean white dudes? Well in a way that's accurate, but their live Bass player is from South America originally, so that's like 4 white dudes and 1 brown boy.

I'm curious what you mean by White Metal..

- When comes the vinyl??

- Who is stocking the vinyl in Europe???

- What distros have the vinyl in North America????

- Looks like the vinyl is sold out everywhere.
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still support/rate Watain, although its quite odd seeing people who have no support or involvement for what they stand for wearing their shirts these days. I reckon Sworn.... is one of the stronger BM albums of the last few years - memorable riffs and melodies without being gay and cheesy.
DeviantDCLXVI

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, I've never been able to get into this band, and not for lack of trying.
demoniac possession

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First two albums are great.After that they are a bit boring.
I saw them live in Athens before some years. Stage show and the performance were like a satanic ritual.Their frontman is a really insane and devoted person in black metal.Hailzz!
In Solitude

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:

Now compare with Watain 6/7 years later. International deals, reissues, definately a very different outlook on the commercial aspect has developed within these years. Not that I have a problem with bands who do that, but bands going from one extreme to another, well...

If you haven't changed a lot in 6-7 years, something is wrong. People (and their views) are always changing and evolving.
Ruggegore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opolus wrote:
WATAIN is a prime example of seriously silly scene police bollocks!!
1. "Oh, they incorporating melodies, for fuck's sake, sorry, this is gay!" Yeah, sure, why not listen to the next couple of mistuned gasmask-goat-bulletbelt-talentless average band. Don't get me wrong, I also dig shit like BLASPHEMY, CONQUEROR and PROCLAMATION, not the least because they do their thing, and are also good at it, but eventually I think it takes a lot of guts and songmanship, to come up with decent melodies, that don't sound corny and still work out as a whole within a song. That's a quality they have, only very few bands within Black/Death Metal contained!
2. "Buhhhh, they're getting too popular for their own good!" Yeah, that makes the music far worse, does it? Any random dude with Down-Syndrom can wisthle along to "Freezing Moon" and "Witching Hour" by now, does that make those songs any worse? FUKK NO!! Black Metal ain't your precious hidden secret anymore, how much you, me or anyone else wishes it to be! The most important thing is, that you still do it on your own terms! Everything else is irrelevant! And I'm a 100 % sure, that WATAIN do just this, meaning, that they wouldn't sound any different, if they'd sell far less records, or to quote the late, great Cliff Burton from one of his rare TV interviews:"We do what we wanna do. If they consider that selling out, whatever!"!! To me personally, they're the perfect culmination of classic MAYHEM & DISSECTION!! Anyone who doesn't hear that is a bloody fool!! Twisted Evil

Best post I´ve read in a long time. I agree soo much!
Albin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except for the dissection comparison . something that I've never and will never understand ...
s.charlach

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning Watain. An English version of the interview in MK 0.5. Maybe it's of interest...

My first contact with Watain was not intended at all as I wrote because of the 3rd issue of “Hellish Massacre” but it was sold out unfortunately and so you sent the “The Ritual Macabre” tape to me instead. You apologised for the very bad sound quality, but I still think that it fits the tunes extremely well. That live tape was (and probably still is) the best way to encounter Watain’s very harsh essence imho.

Ah, I still think it sounds like shit. But it is obviously up to the receiver how to interpret and fathom Watain, although those who define the mentioned tape as a good and representable introduction to our work has a very different view of it in relation to ours. To me that tape is far too shallow to work as a proper gate into the Temple. But sure, the merciless harshness and the dark passion is there, two things that are very fundamental to our being.

What was your first impression while entering the ossuary in Kútna Hora? I was a bit disappointed as there's so much light and far too many tourists by the way, impairing the atmosphere with the never ending “klick-klack” of their cameras. But even without the folk it would have been kind of disenchanting as most of the known pictures show only details and so there’s (luckily) enough space to paint the vacancies. I expected a small, musty, dim “cave”; bones laying all over the ground or hanging at the walls, skulls staring accusatorily out of their alcoves. But what I’ve seen was way too artificial and draped.

We had the privilege of visiting this Temple of Death very early on a misty monday morning, so there was not a living soul there apart from us and some old hag in the entrance. The lack of life other than that flickering inside ourselves probably added very much to the experience. Strange that you found it disenchanting com pared to what you have seen on photos, for me it was almost the other way around. What you describe sounds more like the catacombs in Paris, which is more like a grand necrotic labyrinth. Kutna Hora is after all a chapel, and not a burial place per se. I have to say it was far more powerful that I had expected, surrounded as we were by centuries of old, unburied death. I can’t remember how many minutes or hours we spent there admiring the morbid inventiveness of the architect who clearly was one who knew what kind of respect and adoration that Death truly deserves. It was not my last visit there, that is for certain…

As I find it extremely hard to find words about your passionate lyrics I will try it that way. What do you think about this? Does that show what you praise with your poetry, especially with the one for “Opus Dei (The Morbid Angel)”?

Oh, I really do not think in such consummate terms when writing lyrics. I just write. Most often I ponder for a long time upon an emotional flow or vision, abide in it, and then strip it down to its smallest molecule. When I hold that molecule in my hand, I place it on my altar and write unto it until my fingers bleed… Sometimes it takes years, sometimes seconds to write a whole lyric. But all of the title-tracks for every album where of the sort that took minutes to write, they just came unto me.
About “Opus Dei” it was Necromorbus who wrote it so I couldn’t say I know what was going on in his mind at that time. I just know I liked the lyric a lot when I got it.

Does total glorification of all oppressive Christian deeds mean worship or even act for oneself? Let’s put it straight, I can fully stand the self-denying part, but the potential violence against the beloved makes me wonder, the praise of God‘s twisted ways to show his understanding of love, redemption and sympathy for the devilish. Why should anyone support the rape, torture or murder of one’s own family to pick up some words from Ofermod's declaration?

First of all, my religion is not in any way built upon the glorification of Christendom’s oppressive aspects. The fact that I appreciate them and consider them beautiful is just my individual stance towards that very subject, which is also something that has leaked into my lyrics now and then. I leer at it in scornful silence and arousement, but it is in no way something that my religious life revolves around, just as it does not revolve around the worship of Pol Pot and Pinochet, even though they are admirable fellas both of them from a Satanic point of view.
I am not sure I understand what you want with the rest of your question but judging from how much you involve God and Christianity in everything, it is very important that you understand the fact that Satanism is in no way restricted to those two things. Those who believe so have fathomed naught. It is convenient for someone who lives in the west to use western (Christian) symbolism and metaphor to describe Satanism, but that does not in any way mean that Satanism is limited to those symbols. In Japan the colour white symbolizes Death, and in the west the colour black symbolizes Death, which one do you think that I would use if I wanted to symbolize Death? So, do not mistake us for having any kind of affection to Christianity or God. I piss on “god”. I am its enemy. I deny the laws of the creator god and hail the coming of total lawlessness, chaos, fire and Death! Ask yourself who you really are instead of trying to understand who others are. Step into the night, meditate upon Death and the haunting darkness that lurks beneath the tombs, commit the nocturnal crimes you lust for and then ask yourself; out from which norms do I judge the world? Who am I NOT to praise the things that move against the current and break the shackles that binds the flock the shepherd? A human being?! Wow, impressive… There shall come a night when all flesh and blood and its futile mind structures shall PRAY for Death.

The pragmatic proof of God’s existence says that there has to be a determinant reason of being that all ethnics have a conception of divine without any settle. As there are many different names for gods and goddesses there have to exist religious archetypes that transcend time and even conventionalised conceptions of belief. Do you picture any causal types of divine forces?

I do indeed believe in religious Archetypes that transcend cultures and civilizations, it is very obvious when studying the history of the religions of the world even just briefly. But whether or not you believe in one god form or many is quite irrelevant, it is your relation to them and their virtues that is of importance, not their names or origin. Are you an enemy of the world, and if so, what are you going to do about it?

Here and there is this “Satanist” vs. “devil worshipper” confusion and if I remember it rightly you considered yourself a devil worshipper in Horrible Eyes #3. Black Witchery’s Impurath called himself a very individual Satanist and draws a firm parting line to “the mass amounts of devil worshippers which are so prevalent these days” in the sixth issue of Hellflame. What do these words mean to you?

There used to be a time when I put a great deal into the difference of these words but in the end I realized that by doing that I just let other misuse them. Satanism is the burning path of the Adversary, the quest of levelling with the fathomless darkness that hovers beyond the dream of this world; the realm of the Dragon. I burn with love for Satan, his fire burns inside me and thus –beneath the thick layers of godwaste- I am Him, I am the Opposer of the ego that yearns for the fire of the self. I am he that worships the Devil, the Satanist, the predator, the accuser, the hungry flame… The enemy.

There has always been this chasm between philosophical and religious trends when it comes to the question of self-determination of the human act. What do you think? Are we bound in passivity through obedience or is there anything like the literal motif of Faustus?

The only thing worth of obedience is your own Will, once you have defined it.

Is there only sinful flesh? What’s the way to conquer the organic curse?

Flesh is as much of a tool as a knife or a wand. It is dead matter and will remain dead matter unless impregnated with meaning. This happens very seldom for most people, for no matter how meaningful they consider their pitiful lifes to be they still remain the same blind fools until the day they lay down to rest in their little coffins. Let’s put it like this. You are born into a prison, it’s shit because you cannot do what you want, it’s a bit rough sometimes and you never figure out what things look like on the outside. But on the other hand it’s nice because they serve you free food and people tell you what to do so you don’t have to think for yourself, which most people are not fitted for anyway. So there are two options; either you spend your life in a prison or you break out, provided you have the fire within you to burn the walls. I choose to burn, and always being on the run is the price to pay.

Are there any special moods, paintings or books that are a driving source of inspiration?

I live a life that is very inspiring and fitting for the kind of lyrics that I write. If you live in a house by the sea and work as a fisherman and one day you’d get the idea to write a lyric, it’d probably revolve quite a lot around water, boats and sea-creatures. The life I lead inspires me to write about other things.

Your lyrics but also the frightening visuality of Watain remind of a life on the edge. How is it possible to write such strong words full of hatred and self-neglected fanaticism but still living day after day? When life is nothing but the sum of all human efforts which resists against death, how do you hold the balance between the apparently necessary turning away from your self and staying alive?

It is really very simple; I live my life just the way I want it. I am not being opposed, I oppose. I am not being controlled, I control. I have a fire in my heart whose nature is constantly getting more and more known to me, and the more I understand it the clearer my path becomes. The life of a Satanist is war, but once you have chosen your path there is no way back. Staying alive doesn’t mean escaping Death, it means being able to live the way you intend to. Hence my reference to the average human cattle as “dead”.

Why do you think is there this never ending, but often destructive liability to the dark? Do we peer into the abyss for knowing what we believe in?

We peer at it because it calls us. It calls us from within and we heed it’s call, because no one can resist the tempter. One can learn about him, but few have the guts to. One can worship him, but few have the flame that evokes such immeasurable love. One can understand him, but few have the knowledge. But we all heed His call.

Wide branches of the growing Pagan Metal trend are not tired to accentuate that the Norse pantheon is built upon strength and honour while Christianity (and therefore Satanism) is a religion of weakness and hypocrisy. What would you like to reply to them?

That in the end –no matter how their internal “values” may differ from tribe to tribe- they are all worshippers of the same demiurge and yearn commonly for nothing but to serve the law and order that they were born into. So fuck them.

Do you have any relation to the breathtaking Scandinavian nature and the ancient forces lurking in there?
No.

It’s quite impressive that you have extinguished the blemish that it was and unfortunately often still is just about conversion of Christian ideas, exactly this narrow-minded indolence which’s the reason why Black Metal is often noticed as something “not being taken serious”. When did this parting from standardised Black Metal phrases happen and what was the reason for you?

It happened when people started to think and not just take certain things for granted. I think it was a very natural direction for Black Metal to take. While most of Black Metal died out around 98/99 in favour of plastic dolls with no visions or ideas but to make money and get laid, its essence lived on and took new shape in bands that dared to actually delve into the mystery of what the genre has always been about; Satanism. Bands that actually did something as groundbreaking as changing the direction of a whole subculture. I don’t say that no bands before those had the same idea, some indeed had. I’m thinking about the early days of bands like Necrovore, Morbid Angel, Mayhem, Samael and other bands that consciously attempted to create coalescence between what can be said to be the most extreme form of music with Satanic magic. But now it has been taken to another more obvious and relevant level. I don’t give a fuck if people call it Black Metal or anything else, it just happens to be the most fitting term to us personally. I don’t call Emperor “Black Metal” and I do not call a Laveyan a “Satanist” either, so….

In contrast, why there’s this stereotypical “Fuck God, Hail Satan” slogan which doesn’t want to fit rightly to Watain’s previously twisted concept as your viewpoint seemed to be anything but a front against orthodoxy. Is it time for some tedious war mongering in order to side more fans?

We simply felt that it was exactly what we wanted to write on the shirt. Considering how people have been so incredibly unintelligent as to even mistake us for being Christians (hah!) we felt that we wanted to make a bit clearer point this time. If people now were so fucking eager to have opinions about things then it was better to give them something that they at least have the mental ability to have an opinion on. In fifteen years we can hopefully move on to course B in the Satanist Class, lets see how many of you that will still be around then.

Abigor’s T. T. propagated his “soft vision in blood” and demanded “a united great power – Viking Metallers like Enslaved side by side with Pagan Metallers like In the Woods side by side with Black Metallers like Immortal” in 1994; a typical statement for this time when bands tried to swear to an imaginary battle against Christianity. What’s your “vision in blood”?

Let’s just say that while people fly planes into buildings, blow up hospitals or go on killing sprees in high-schools, I don’t think Black metallers should be that very cocky when talking about their war against Christianity. It is just embarrassing. Let me put it like this; if I were to choose a platform for encouraging people to actually join forces and become a threat to the world, the current “Black Metal scene” would be the last place I’d choose. The only thing you find there is juvenile confusion, unwarranted pride and sheep-mentality, people who have not even BEGUN to murder Christ within themselves. Not really something I would like to “join forces” with. Anyway, I lay this matter to rest, for once again I find myself smiling scornfully, knowing what I know about this little world and its fragile future.

What shall rest in remembrance of Watain when you are gone once?

Everything shall rest. In the black vastness of total Death.
Albin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read the last answer ... and we see an Erik who already know every black metal bands and individual on earth to say they are just juvenil bunches of useless peoples ... Is watain more dangerous than Nifelheim ? More dangerous than other bands such as exordium , Horna , or even dark funeral , drudkh , ofermod , Xasthur and goatxxxxxx whatever etc ?????

answer is no . black metal never heart anybody , to quote him , or only maybe certain bands , but definitely not Watain . i find them very pretentious to think and indirectly say they are so much dangerous because of mass touring .
More and more he is considering Watain the only herald of Satanism ... and slowly it will turn into a cult of the ego maybe ? instead of the primal vision of real satanism = forget the ego to become one with the Devil .
Hopefully not . I know they are serious , really . But they have to slow down concerning self promotion , and those kind of things .

My opinion of course .
In Solitude

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a great interview.
Goab

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being influenced by Dissection and classic Mayhem can't be a bad thing nor a reason to stab this band to death. The're certainly melting a lot of classic metal infleunces these days and that's what makes of "Sworn to the dark" a milestone of an album, a "moment of history" as Costa Stoios very well stated on the description of the album on his mailorder list.

If someone is trying to stablish a parallelism between this band and Dimmu Borgir for example, because of their increasing popularity he isn't only deaf but a retarded jerk. They're comitted to black metal, they're fully into what they do, on what they think and behind everything they stand for. That isn't something that many of those highly praised hyped graveyard desecrator war mongers nuclear bestial whore raping gas mask copycats just in the furcking trend for the sake of it will never understand and will never be able to achieve.
Opolus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goab wrote:
Being influenced by Dissection and classic Mayhem can't be a bad thing nor a reason to stab this band to death. The're certainly melting a lot of classic metal infleunces these days and that's what makes of "Sworn to the dark" a milestone of an album, a "moment of history" as Costa Stoios very well stated on the description of the album on his mailorder list.

If someone is trying to stablish a parallelism between this band and Dimmu Borgir for example, because of their increasing popularity he isn't only deaf but a retarded jerk. They're comitted to black metal, they're fully into what they do, on what they think and behind everything they stand for. That isn't something that many of those highly praised hyped graveyard desecrator war mongers nuclear bestial whore raping gas mask copycats just in the furcking trend for the sake of it will never understand and will never be able to achieve.

Very Happy I know that Costa took that sentence actually from a promo sheet to that album, so those are not his words, not the least because he doesn't like DISSECTION, from what I know, so... Not that I don't agree with the rest of your post, though!
IronBloodBlasphemy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't understand why people get so bent out of shape cause others have a divergent point of view about an album or band. I don't like "Sworn to the Dark" as much as previous Watain output. It's not a bad record, it just pales in comparison to their other stuff. "Puzzles of Flesh" is my favorite Watain song.
Goab

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Very Happy I know that Costa took that sentence actually from a promo sheet to that album, so those are not his words, not the least because he doesn't like DISSECTION, from what I know, so... Not that I don't agree with the rest of your post, though!

I slipped here (didn't know about that promo sheet) , but hey, Costa likes late Watain this is what he told me when I did that oversized patch for them:

WATAIN is a good band and people who say they wimped out just want to
be the cool underground guys. It is always the same shittalk when bands
all of a sudden get a bit of popularity.

Albin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goab wrote:
WATAIN is a good band and people who say they wimped out just want to
be the cool underground guys. It is always the same shittalk when bands
all of a sudden get a bit of popularity.

He's right , totally .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: