P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Shopping for Metal in San Francisco and Los Angeles
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goat.Pestilence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Shopping for Metal in San Francisco and Los Angeles Reply with quote

particularly in Berkeley, Stanford and LA i need shops with good selections of black, death, doom or thrash metal, preferrably also with a good selection of vinyl, thanks in advance!
Blood and Thunder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an OK sort of punk store that had some metal on Melrose. I think if you're on La Brea, and headed towards Hollywood blvd, you turn left and walk for 5 - 10 mins.

Dark Realm is Downtown, but I didn't get there. Sure plenty of other people here have some better insight.
Then the devil must...

http://www.blackmetalrevolution.com/preview.html
http://www.blackmetalrevolution.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/bmrevolution
s.charlach

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHAXUL RECORDS has just opened its doors in San Francisco, 1816 Haight Street. Stop by Tues-Sunday 11-7 and support it.
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amoeba is right across the street from Shaxul Records. Amoeba Berkeley and Rasputins Berkeley are both pretty good.

Web: nwnprod.com

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

NWN PROD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When will you be visiting the bay area? I might be available to show you around for an afternoon.

Goat.Pestilence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help everyone
and thanks yosuke for the offer, but it is my mum going not me haha

i also looked at Aquarius Records on the net... is this a good place?
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquarious is good for other things besides metal. It's worth going to.

Nosliw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goat.Pestilence wrote:
thanks for the help everyone
and thanks yosuke for the offer, but it is my mum going not me haha

i also looked at Aquarius Records on the net... is this a good place?

Yes. Aquarius Records is a great place to go for metal and beyond. Check it out.

Oh, and they're very very reliable and awesome when it comes to mail orders.

T/S List: http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4783
TeethofSkull

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The place on Melrose is called HEADLINE.
Good shop. Mostly vinyl, mostly punk, but I got a St. Vitus record there and a Pungent Stench LP too.

Dark Realm is in Downey, which is actually South of and East of LA. Unfortunately they're 90% CD. Decent video selection and maybe some decent tapes. I got Blind Illusion tape and the Dim Mak demo there. Also as great VHS of Dissection/At the Gates/Morbid Angel from '93. They also have tons of "typical" shirts : Venom, Death, Iron Maiden, etc. It's worth it to go say hi to Rick. He's very mellow and very cool. He's been around and is happy to chat.

Amoeba in LA is great too. Better for old rock than metal. The metal section is like every new styled black metal release, but they do stock NWN titles, and the metal buyer, Jason is a cool dude.
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're going to send your mom to these stores?

guitar_Demon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeethofSkull wrote:

Dark Realm is in Downey, which is actually South of and East of LA. Unfortunately they're 90% CD. Decent video selection and maybe some decent tapes. I got Blind Illusion tape and the Dim Mak demo there. Also as great VHS of Dissection/At the Gates/Morbid Angel from '93. They also have tons of "typical" shirts : Venom, Death, Iron Maiden, etc. It's worth it to go say hi to Rick. He's very mellow and very cool. He's been around and is happy to chat.

i got some cool vinyl when i was there a few years back visiting family. and yea rick is a killer guy very laid back and easy to chat with
HELLTHRASHER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeethofSkull wrote:
Good shop. Mostly vinyl, mostly punk, but I got a St. Vitus record there and a Pungent Stench LP too.

Amoeba in LA is great too. Better for old rock than metal. The metal section is like every new styled black metal release, but they do stock NWN titles, and the metal buyer, Jason is a cool dude.

Not to mention they do special orders if you can't find what you're looking for.

You can also listen to ANY CD in the store BEFORE you buy it. So that's good news for all and no one will go home be dissapointed with a crappy CD they thought was gonna be good, etc.
Unlike at other independant record shops where you can only listen to the 'used' cds, Dark Realm offers this and more.
ryan_the_snake

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeethofSkull wrote:

Amoeba LA is not as good as the SF shop for metal IMO, but they have some pretty cool and cheap music VHS upstairs.
Goat.Pestilence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
So you're going to send your mom to these stores?

maybe one or two of them haha. i will just tell her to keep an eye out. hopefully i can find a catalogue for some of these places as she probably couldnt name one band i listen to lol
SorceressBitch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan_the_snake wrote:
TeethofSkull wrote:

Amoeba LA is not as good as the SF shop for metal IMO, but they have some pretty cool and cheap music VHS upstairs.

And Amoeba SF has some good stuff on clearance sometimes ($2 or something, don't quite remember). Hollywood's clearance section sucks ass and it's expensive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: