P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Releasing music/starting a label?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone talking about losing money is strange to me. How are you losing money if you're not throwing away your stuff? I find it difficult to believe that you don't at least break even. You guys probably meant to say that you spent money on tapes and CDs and they just turned into unwanted tapes and CDs instead of money, right? You can't possibly lose money unless you're selling at below manufacturing cost and or getting ripped off left and right.

Web: nwnprod.com

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

Shiru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
Everyone talking about losing money is strange to me. How are you losing money if you're not throwing away your stuff? I find it difficult to believe that you don't at least break even. You guys probably meant to say that you spent money on tapes and CDs and they just turned into unwanted tapes and CDs instead of money, right? You can't possibly lose money unless you're selling at below manufacturing cost and or getting ripped off left and right.

yeah but there can be 1000 and 1 thing.... actually giving away doesnt sounds so scary if it is sells well.... much worse to trade a lot of stuff that you cannot sell, or get no orders for your releases and only shitty trades.... though in the end i think it is sooner or later will be around zero anyway Very Happy
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is that you don't actually lose money by sitting on your own records or other people's records for that matter. You turned cash into another asset which you hope to turn back into more cash. Sometimes it takes longer to get to the second stage, but it doesn't mean that you're losing money.

The only way to lose money:

1. Become official and pay taxes.
2. Get ripped off.
3. Lose parcels

duff138

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that most other lables sell their discs for close to 3 times as much ($15) as NWN! I too find it strange that people can lose money.
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just means that they pay their bands $10 per copy. It makes total sense.

Caina

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
It just means that they pay their bands $10 per copy.

Wow, can you give me the names of some of those labels? I could use that kind of money Very Happy

www.myspace.com/cainaband
http://www.last.fm/user/WilburWhateley

Good traders/sellers: Yosuke, Grief, s.charlach x2, Blekt , headnhalf x2, destrucSEAN, Sadovahr x3, GROUND ZERO Entertainment, Ykh
Morbid69

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is such thing as a bad investment, where you put all your money into releasing a band no one likes. Then again, you'd have to try pretty hard to do this.

Running a label, in its infancy anyway, is all about making contacts around the world and promoting the bands. Lots of time in the post office, lots of time writing letters. Anyone can throw money at a project but the real work is here.

If you manage your money its even less of a problem. Simply breaking down all your label sales into cash and keeping it in a bag / bank account separate to your spendings will keep the budget flowing.

Make sure you have a job too. Very few labels survive when run by an unemployed owner; spending the sales on beer and burgers. If you can live off it, more power to you ... but it will take a hell of an effort.

Mr_Belvedere wrote:
I rather prefer playing with my girlfriends pussy instead of nerding around in a virtual hell
carnal sadist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncolored wrote:
carnal sadist wrote:
Now I am releasing tapes

are you the guy who wanted to re-release the hell chuch demo tape??
just last week the pre-hell church band reformed and they called me for playing bass! yesterday was our second rehearsal, we are playing one song from that demo Cool

That was me. My older brother had a copy of that tape and it made it's way into my collection somehow.

http://malignstudios.circleofdestruction.net
Malign Studios (Artwork and Layouts)
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should only start a label if you find something that you believe strongly in and want to release it. Too many people create labels as a hobby and just for the sake of doing so. They end up flooding the "scene" they claim to care so much about with useless crap, pointless garbage.

If I was going to do a label, the only stuff I can think of that I'd want to release, is old out-of-print stuff from back in the day. All unlimited and maybe some special limited releases (like that damn "All the Witches Dance" Pic LP that's long over due). Though it's just as gay to release only sure-to-sell collector's editions of old cult albums. That's just recycling and compensation for the fact everything today is shit.
Professor Black

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
to lose money:

1. Become official and pay taxes.

Although depending on certain variables (location, day job, etc.), there can be advantages.
Professor Black

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
Releasing a record is easy. Getting rid of all copies is another story.

This comment I agree with 100%.

Do not buy 1000 copies of the same album unless you're prepared to then invest the time and organization it takes to mail out 999 of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: