P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

blasphemy / carcass / repulsion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philemon Siclone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The term Black Metal wasn't even in use in the time around 1988/89/90. Neither in distros nor in zines. Everything in extreme metal was either Thrash or Death or Grind. And most swedish DM-Bands of that time even got angry when compared or connected to BATHORY in any form. Black Metal was viewed by the large majority as a totally dead thing, back then.
Carlzilla

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philemon Siclone wrote:
The term Black Metal wasn't even in use in the time around 1988/89/90. Neither in distros nor in zines. Everything in extreme metal was either Thrash or Death or Grind. And most swedish DM-Bands of that time even got angry when compared or connected to BATHORY in any form. Black Metal was viewed by the large majority as a totally dead thing, back then.

This isn't entirely true.

Deicide used to call themselves black metal all the time around the time of the first album. Blasphemy used the term pretty regularly in interviews in the early 90s. Some of which can be read on that website that was posted earlier in the thread. It was certainly a lot less frequent in the late 80s, because most of the bands that were seen as early "black metal" went in other directions...

And now we have fags complaining about other fags. A "fagoboros" if you will.

http://www.last.fm/user/carlzilla
DESECRATOR777

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the term black metal was indeed used in the late 80s, not very often mind you but yes it was, shit even around that time frame mayhem used to call themselves death metal around then and my bathory under the sign...Lp came with a quote from metalion saying something like... the ultimate death metal album or something like that...so you know the terms reflected the thoughts of that time frame...

if you look at old combat/important record mail order insert catalogs they used the term black metal still in 87...so it was a term to describe bands like running wild. and to me, running wilds early material is indeed black speed metal.
Philemon Siclone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlzilla wrote:
Philemon Siclone wrote:

This isn't entirely true.

Deicide used to call themselves black metal all the time around the time of the first album. Blasphemy used the term pretty regularly in interviews in the early 90s. Some of which can be read on that website that was posted earlier in the thread. It was certainly a lot less frequent in the late 80s, because most of the bands that were seen as early "black metal" went in other directions...

Yes, that may well be. But back then there wasn't no internet-site to look up where each and every interview of each and every underground-band was stored. So, when I was around 15, and started with reading Magazines, Fanzines and catalogues, I just never stumbled across this term as a present, used term. It was there, but only in historical context. Thats what I mean.
ToadstoolMoon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first heard Blasphemy & Beherit as a very young kid in 94 when my older brother got FAoD & TOoBB tapes from a friend that lived in the same street as we did (those old Polish MG Records tapes, fellow Europeans in here sure remember them) and even as late as then, local fans were talking about them as death metal or death/grind bands.

That might be because of the isolation of our country though, since the BM trend arrived here in full power as late as 96 with an article in local Metal Hammer that talked about the Scandinavian scene. People of course listened to classic stuff like Bathory or Root, but it was mostly about death metal in here up to that point. Black metal was either ignored or ridiculed even by a lot of UG fanzines.

asmael LeBouc wrote:
Ok alright, something UNIQUE, raw with weird vocals?

Trörkrvisätänsrökrëh
Endsieg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philemon Siclone wrote:
The term Black Metal wasn't even in use in the time around 1988/89/90.

funny enough Bravo magazine called Running Wild "black metal" in one of their issues, must have been around 1984/85.
Tireheb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endsieg wrote:
Philemon Siclone wrote:
The term Black Metal wasn't even in use in the time around 1988/89/90.

funny enough Bravo magazine called Running Wild "black metal" in one of their issues, must have been around 1984/85.

Death Metal hadn't settled into a certain sound or type at that time. I have a compilation CD of Texas band Militia and in the booklet there are old flyers for gigs with line-ups such as Slayer/Watchtower/Militia with event title "Death Metal Attack".
I have this record and can someone tell me what it sounds like, please.

"You can't hide the hook!"
Philemon Siclone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANd then? 1984/85 was in no way alike to the pre-nineties-years. Many early Thrash Bands wee called (or sometimes labelled themselves as) Black Metal as far as I know. But come 1988 it just was a thing of the past. Beacuse by that time Thrash had fully developed as a genre and DM was in the latest stages of its own evolution. A few years in the eighties make a huge difference, because so much was going on. Contrary to now. Were repetition and regurgitation of collected accumulated news/infos from the past consumes all of our time.
Ethylic Overkill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody quoted the insane french bastards from Morsüre.
Their Acceleration Process LP (1985 !) is totally overlooked. They're usually labelled as thrash metal but always found it's really more than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOQOrF0S8Eg

raskolnikhilov

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread, best i've seen in a while.
The influence of oldschool grind is irrefutable.I think many bands shy away from wearing those influences on their sleeves figuratively and otherwise because grind isn't simply fashionable (or never was).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: