P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Good metal writing/journalism or lack thereof
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aphidhair

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Good metal writing/journalism or lack thereof Reply with quote

From the Archgoat thread:
VergonJosh wrote:
BaronOvHell wrote:
Freelance Fiend wrote:
Kim Kelly has already heard it Evil or Very Mad

She's about as autistic as they come... can't wait for her Vice piece on Archgoat Rolling Eyes

Laughing

Hyperbolic cliché does not equal quality writing; nor does paying lip-service to social issues: writing a lot but basically saying nothing at all. I don't mean to just focus on K. Kelly's work either, as this basically goes for all the PF/vice/metalsucks/decibel "writers." Let's face it, we have a vacuum of good metal writers, much less journalists right now, at least here in N. America (I can't say much for Europe.)

The Chips and Beer dudes, love or hate them, at least have some style and an axe to grind. I have a feeling most of them won't like this new Archgoat record. But I'll take a funny, stylized, obnoxious (but at least well thought out) review over the stupid PR ad copy that passes for writing right now. Modern blog/vice/PF writers seems to think their lack of thought, creativity, and style is compensated for by being able to say they heard an album before you did or "premiering" a track from said album (why even bother writing anything at all then?). This PR masquerading as critique just seems legion right now. In the end I wish bands like this wouldn't send promos to Vice, et al. And they would starve these fuckers for material. And Twitter? Fuck twitter.

So, what I'm wondering is, who are your favorite writers covering metal right now? What are some blogs, pieces, whatever that actually do some of these bands justice?

Last edited by aphidhair on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
aphidhair

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And more bitching: these fucking god awful top ten lists that come out at this time. This dull, superlative laden slop. At least from the bigger sites that suddenly now cover metal (thanks again to the Pitchfork, blah blah people) all share this awful group think mentality -- the same basic lists with the same basic words but in different positions. Jesus. This isn't music writing, it's some sort of awful purgatory for words to go to when they die.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For stuff that is still active, I've always appreciated the writing and thoughtful reviews of Wormgear (used to be a cool prinzine, now it's a cool webzine).

http://wormgearzine.com/
Kojiri

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this thread just another way of saying "Mainstream sucks" or "mainstream vs. underground"?

Talk about a lot of useless words to say essentially a cliche in itself.

Don't like mainstream writers? Read more DIY zines. Problem solved.

You're waiting for the next great mainstream musicwriter? They've never been that great or that terrible. The quality hasn't really dipped... the alternative options have just gone up and muddied the water.

The 60s are dead son.

Trade/Buy/Sell!: addo_of_nex, Black_Fire, bunyip, cannibal_riot, cursed blood, dawid, Deathammer, etdeath, wvrm
aphidhair

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kojiri wrote:
Is this thread just another way of saying "Mainstream sucks" or "mainstream vs. underground"?

Talk about a lot of useless words to say essentially a cliche in itself.

Don't like mainstream writers? Read more DIY zines. Problem solved.

You're waiting for the next great mainstream musicwriter? They've never been that great or that terrible. The quality hasn't really dipped... the alternative options have just gone up and muddied the water.

The 60s are dead son.

Nope, that's not the issue at all. I think most "underground" writers are awful, too. The more mainstream ones are just more egregiously bad because they're harder to avoid if you, like, are on the internet, dude. What I am asking is: Who are the good writers? Which I wrote above, after some admitted bitching about shitty writing.
astralvesl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like No Clean Singing from time to time, found a few good bands on there but can't say I've ever really paid attention to the writing.

I think the PR masquerading as critique point is spot on these days though, it's become an industry and commercializing the genre seems to be the highest priority of the internet writers. Moreover, not that the standards of metal journalism were ever very high, but w/ the internet these days everyone's an expert; merely having your article posted on vice, spin, etc... confers credibility for some reason. The thing that irks me is when you get people who use that status and credibility to push their own agenda and the hivemind that is the online metal media falls right in line w/o a flicker of critique. That and of course the idea that we need to inject morality into the personas within the extreme metal scene. Fuck that noise.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invisible Oranges isn't all bad. You can find quality interviews on that site.
IXTAB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody interviews like Laurent Ramadier (Snakepit zine). The guy often knows more details about his subjects than the interviewees themselves. Unlike most zines where I have a hard time reading interviews with bands I know little to nothing about, I could read all Snakepits cover to cover, given the time needed. You feel like you know every detail of the band after reading one of his interviews.
3. Unidentified band photos and youtube links
4. Memes
5. Ebonics

e-mail ixtab[at]nwnprod[dot]com regarding forum account activation or problems
PeterVenkman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of this isn't journalism at all, just mindless PR with no artistic value, and yeah the so called top 10 lists are full of so much garbage it's laughable.
ias

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jo Bench

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like autothrall, that's about it.
Caligari

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best metal writers in my opinion, in terms of style and creativity, are in Decibel Mag, Too bad the mag spends 80%-85% of its content in bands that are pretty awful. I mean, they had a Machine Head article titled after the Celine book Journey to the End of the Night...what the hell was that about?

Chips & Beer was fun for a while for me, but reading a review about an 80's heavy metal record that mentions no music but tries to be funny while expanding on bullshit about pasta and Gene Simmons' crotch doesn't do much for me.

Some of the best metal writing I've seen lately came in the last issue of Horrible Eyes. Too bad is not a monthly.

There are hundreds of terrible writers online and some decent-good ones and a few stand outs. IO is still pretty decent in terms of quality but none of its current writers are as poignant as IO's founder Cosmo Lee. There is certain level of quality in the writing there though.
Coming Soon: BUNKER 66 / HUMAN BODIES / SKELETHAL / ALUCARDA

Last edited by Caligari on Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:14 am; edited 3 times in total
holy ghost

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this is being addressed: writing your entire fanzine in olde english font makes it such a chore to read. I don't know if Haruspex is well written or not. My eyes start to bleed after a page or two.....
Kill Monument

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: tr Reply with quote

I really enjoy Klemi's in depth interviews for the fantastic Kaleidoscope zine. NTB has introduced me to tonnes of great BM over the years in ZT. I think ZT is mostly well written too. The articles in Iron Fist can be excellent even if I'm not always into the journalist-as-centre-of-the-world/ celebrity approach that is often applied. If the interview is revealing and entertaining enough I can get past it but it's unnecessary and misses the point of journalism.

www.facebook.com/malthusianDM
In Solitude

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It starts and ends with ISTEN.

Well, mostly. Wink All this online 'journalism' diarrhea is of course a symptom of instant gratification and expectations. Besides some already mentioned, Lurker's Path has some great writing, and so does Black Ivory Tower.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: