P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Agathocles - Fascination of Mutilation flexi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Agathocles - Fascination of Mutilation flexi Reply with quote

Does anyone have any information about this release? I received 5 copies of this item today from the guy who used to run Buttface records. The flexis are red, and do not have a cover, but there is a cover shown at the entry at Metal Archives, so I assume it's supposed to have one. Does anyone have this release with a cover? Is it xeroxed or printed? If it is xeroxed, is someone able to make some copies I can enclose with these coverless copies? Of course I do not intend to sell them off as original copies with new covers if they are in fact xeroxed. I'm keeping a copy for myself and plan on selling the other 4 at normal 7" prices ($5 plus postage). Does anyone have any other information about this release? Please don't ask to buy a copy yet - I'll announce when I'm selling them, and if there is enough interest here, I'll sell them exclusively to people on this forum. If I can't find covers I'll give them away as freebies with other orders.
TryMyTrust

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasnt there been a bunch of bootleg flexis on ebay as of late?
Humus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have this but gave it to a friend who's Agathocles collector. I'm sure it has a sleeve but can't remember if it's xeroxed or printed. Normally I see that friend later this week so I'll ask him.

TryMyTrust wrote:
hasnt there been a bunch of bootleg flexis on ebay as of late?

This agx flexi was released nearly 20 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got these from the guy who used to run Buttface Records, so I know they are not bootlegs.
TryMyTrust

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/AGATHOCLES-FASCINATION-OF-MUTILATION-MINT_W0QQitemZ320153072407QQcmdZViewItem

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the pics it definitely looks xeroxed. If someone can copy the covers and insert(s) that would be greatly appreciated. Get in touch at lyderhornrecords@yahoo.com if you can help out. I'll pay for the costs of the copies/postage or trade for something in return.

TryMyTrust: Are you getting back to me regarding the stuff you're selling soon?
TryMyTrust

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought i pmed my address already?
Bestial Devastator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it once. The cover was xeroxed.
Goab

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a bunch of old Agathcoles (early 90s) 7" EPs I'd like to trade away. if any of you are interested send me a PM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bidding on that eBay auction now so I can just make my own covers. If I win I'll put them up for sale as soon as I've made new covers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some dickhead outbid me, so I'm still gonna need xeroxes from someone. Send an e-mail or PM if you're willing to help out.
aussie68

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the matter of the AGATHOCLES 'Fascination Of Mutilation' flexi-disc several of you have been talking about.

HI - I'm the guy that financed it. BUTTFACE, Alan, The Aussie etc etc. Whilst I can't recall who I sent these long out of stock items to in 2007, I can tell you that they are not bootlegs. When I moved to the USA from Australia in 1990, I met up with the guy from Rigid Records in Tampa. He needed $ for the project as he had already told my friend Jan (vox) that the project was under way (which it wasn't).

As I was going to return to USA in the same year 1990 after a short visit back in Australia, and had been good friends with Jan since the demo days, I went ahead and offered to finance.

The only thing connecting Rigid Records to the release is the logo on the disc and the cover and that he knew where to press it (Eva-Tone in Clearwater).

The release had a cover, but it was a high-quality copied cover, not a direct photocopy as in a post office copier. Rather a better quality one costing just a little more (they make the black blacker and not grainy grey). The cover is actually a photo from a book I got at the Adelaide Medical School library's section on autopsies (which was mailed to Jan several years before the 1989 gig from which the sound recording was taken).

This release also contained a folded, double sided lyric sheet. Done in exactly the same way as the cover, with lyrics on one side and a small mini poster of an under-age Christina Applegate (from her spot on the pre-Married With Children night time drama 'Heart Of The City') on the other.

Several higher circulation magazines were paid $ by me for advertising, as an example Maximum Rock 'n' Roll, but a few weeks after publication the orders started dwindling and I couldn't understand why. Back then AGx were one of the hottest items, one of the fastest sellers (as well as musically). My eye was on the future. As Digby Pearson was in Tampa watching Nocturnus record their debut, we discussed the release which he thought a good choice for quick turn around and ultimately a debut CD for the 'label'.

The CD was to be an official Carcass live in Brazil, seeing as though we had endorsement from the band. I though that a good business choice.

BUT as the orders dwindled and I became busier with my other projects I wasn't at the family home of the Rigid Records proprietor as much. One particular day I came to get some stuff and found a huge box filled with opened mail in his closet (as well as a lot of my personal vinyls etc NOT in his closet any more). Every one of them an order, or a question about an unfulfilled order.

You name it, one guy paying for one copy, another guy paying for 100 copies to stuff in his fanzine orders. The fucker had screwed me and the fans.

So good old Vernon Blake (Rigid Records) stumbles into his parents home, where he is still living at 30 something then, high as hell on coke and asking what I was doing. HA. So all those AGx fans paid for his fuckin 8 balls on my reputation!

That's the story of 1990's release.

What does 2009 hold you ask, does anyone even care?

Well, as Jan has always been my pal, I naturally took all the records I could find which I had paid for the production of anyway, and have carried with me all across the USA for the last almost 20 years. Without covers, just the discs.

We've recently made contact again in Nov 08, and he will be getting the last 60 remaining units in the new year (except this time there will be a template for the covers/lyrics which he will copy). I am pretty sure though before he gets them I will re-do the covers obliterating any reference to Rigid Records. Possibly even defacing the logo printed on the disc)

It'd be a shame if someone threw their money at that fucker for anything again.

The item will be available once Jan has possession of them from the long running official AGx mailing address.

Why don't I sell them myself here? Well I think Jan is owed them personally, that's why I kept them all these years and didn't just throw them in the trash. Why ruin a good run of not making a single dime on this record, and put a few dollars in Jan's and let those who really want the record have a chance to get it properly from him? And in Australia I probably couldn't sell a unit anyway, I think they are all into some idiot called FLORIDA here or something anyway hehehe.

THanks for the chance to write this big gassy answer to the questions. And to the fella that posted under 'guest' about this issue, sorry I can't recall who you are, but you can contact me if you want to.

Cheers
aussie68

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH yeah, I also forgot to mention that the restocked flexi 'should' also contain a copy of the 1989 interview from Buttface # 2 as a little bonus history.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: