P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Satyricon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brooklyn Bastard 666

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fucking good song.

"To Your Brethren In The Dark."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=24&v=1iXAYa05RNg

Great Death, Black, Hardcore cds & records for sale:
https://www.discogs.com/seller/Inh722/profile
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frost is looking mighty Auschwitz these days.
Vanitas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooklyn Bastard 666 wrote:
This is a fucking good song.

"To Your Brethren In The Dark."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=24&v=1iXAYa05RNg

Awesome song.
Silverburst

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That track sounds like a castrated version of Black Lava. No atmosphere whatsoever. I really dislike the mix, too, with his vocals way up front and repeating the title an obnoxious amount of times. That may as well have been Ringo Starr time keeping.
TotalKhaos

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satyricon is the best Kiss cover band in existence right now.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever conviction sounds like, its seems to be lacking here... how does the same band that wrote Rebel Extravaganza release this new album and the one previous? How is this the same two guys???

There were some less than favorable songs on the albums between RE and the self titled, but there were also some decent songs even if they fall into that whole black and roll style... at least they were alive.

Whatever extreme artistic depths these guys believe they are trying to reach down into to express some darkness or whatever only they see... or perhaps they have a whole new different fan base now which explains it all really... cause to the rest of us perhaps desiring something else... something slightly more reminiscent of their previous expressions... once again this album is not that.

So they have conviction... but it is for a whole new market of people to eat up, people that I guess are happy spoon fed singles and garbage they are told is the 'thing' at that particular moment. Bell curve shit.
Unaerth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys ... just stop. Ha! Stop worrying, or even thinking about it/them. They were done after Nemesis Divina. What is everyone expecting? They have been "commercial" since then. So much other good stuff to focus on and support out there ...
nok
banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my LP of this today. It's pretty good. It's no Nemesis Divina but it's got some pretty good songs (and a few that are garbage). Way better than the shit Darkthrone, Enslaved and others from that era are putting out these days. Some really great guitar lines throughout the album as well.
candlesmoke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unaerth wrote:
Guys ... just stop. Ha! Stop worrying, or even thinking about it/them. They were done after Nemesis Divina. What is everyone expecting? They have been "commercial" since then. So much other good stuff to focus on and support out there ...

+1

And to the above poster, you may like the sound of modern Darkthrone or not, but at least they have sticked to their guns and have not gone commercial. They are still authentic and honest musicians who are not in it for money, big record deals, or coverage in trendy magazines. I respect that. Say what you will about their sound.
nok
banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candlesmoke wrote:
Unaerth wrote:

+1

And to the above poster, you may like the sound of modern Darkthrone or not, but at least they have sticked to their guns and have not gone commercial. They are still authentic and honest musicians who are not in it for money, big record deals, or coverage in trendy magazines. I respect that. Say what you will about their sound.

I've honestly not followed Satyr enough to know about coverage in trendy magazines. I don't follow musicians in general. I torrent or buy LPs but I don't often go to shows, read interviews online or go to sites like blabbermouth or pitchfork for music news. This forum is where I get almost all my metal news from. This level of ignorance probably helps me stomach Satyricon. I'm sure if I knew 5% of what you're talking about it'd put me off of the band, but since I only have their music to measure them by, I can say the new album is pretty decent. Musicially speaking there's some great songs on it. I definitely cannot say the same for Arctic Thunder.
gojko88

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Satyricon is that attention-seeking these days, they just use the coverage they get, riding on their reputation and (former) status. Satyr as a person may be a different story.

The bigger problem for me is when a band starts extolling their work to death while the end product is average at best (ditto Watain). They really lost me when they wrote a few days ago that there is a "small group of weak-minded people who dislike the new cover" or something in that vein. This amount of inability to handle criticism after 25 years on the scene is baffling and pathetic.
candlesmoke

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nok wrote:

Fair enough. It's just the impression I have of Satyricon. Something about them is simply hard to stomach, perhaps Satyr's narcissism combined with the blandness of their more recent albums. But to each his own, I guess. Never was into the black n' roll genre anyway.

I wonder, though, what does Satyr himself call their music these days. Still black metal?
Vanitas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not saying anything about the cover, but it's amazing that the people are labeling it at as "a 5 dollar drawing on a bar napkin", while, actually, it's Munch's work. And I'm talking about the reviewers. If you cannot at least read the info at Metal Archives, then you really shouldn't be reviewing the album.
nok
banned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candlesmoke wrote:
nok wrote:

Fair enough. It's just the impression I have of Satyricon. Something about them is simply hard to stomach, perhaps Satyr's narcissism combined with the blandness of their more recent albums. But to each his own, I guess. Never was into the black n' roll genre anyway.

I wonder, though, what does Satyr himself call their music these days. Still black metal?

I don't really get a black'n'roll vibe from this new album. Then again, my idea of black'n'roll is stuff like Gehennah or Blood Storm. I don't know how I'd classify the new album. Definitely has black metal roots but it strays quite a bit. The album is quite varied. There's a lot of complexity and texture going on (which is in direct opposition to the simplicity of the cover art, which I really like).

I've given the full album several listens now and I think it's solid. I never thought I'd buy a Satyricon album after ND but after hearing a couple advance tracks I ordered it last week and the whole album has grown on me since I received it this morning. Some seriously fucking great songs on it, Satyr's antics be damned.
Dismal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That song 'brethren' in the dark' is alright, surprisingly ok. Does have that 'Black Lava' ( but not quite as good) vibe. Still, a decent song. Don't think I'll buy the album, but will probably check out other songs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 26 of 28

Jump to: