P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

old demo tapes rotting in quality?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: old demo tapes rotting in quality? Reply with quote

well i have some old recordings then my deck died, now i got a new deck, well not new but the seller overhauled it and seems legit cause he has thousands of feedbacks with tape decks etc. so i guess i can trust him with keeping the original sound of the deck.

now i compared my old recording of a tape with the new one of the same tape (i have still 100 left to record sadly which i didnt do in the past) and some songs are nearly the same as the old recordings with slight less clarity and then some parts or songs sound like there full stereo gets a bit split and panned strangely. it'S so far 2-3 tapes. it cannot be the deck as another tape i compared with an old recording sounds nearly the same without those issues......

so i wonder myself why so many so far not only 1, i kept them in my shelf without any sun lightning possible, dark and dry room.

guess tapes just suck and my tapes are rotting away?
i got some original nargaroth, thyrfing, agalloch etc. left and i dont want to think they lost quality like that too........ if thats the case i guess i will sell these shit tapes before they are totally lost and i can only sell the artwork lol wish my old deck didnt die and i had spend more time recording all tapes about 10 years ago.......
under a funeral shroom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Nargaroth you're referring to an 8-track correct? But yeah, cassettes degrade over time, hell I wore out a bunch of them by playing them too much back in the day. R/C tapes were particularly prone to warbling and sounding like shit after time.

But now in scene of baby Watains and weak emo scums with haircut
Caine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

under a funeral shroom wrote:
With Nargaroth you're referring to an 8-track correct? But yeah, cassettes degrade over time, hell I wore out a bunch of them by playing them too much back in the day.

i have to check it was the orke with painted case etc. im still sorting the stuff here and am angry atm about this FUCKING crap medium (yeah cult or whatever i always hated tapes, tv tapes etc.) as i hear the degradation now and have to live that the rest of my tapes i didnt recorded in the past lost decent quality as well......... and some demo tape recordings i found sound just awful on the net......
blewcheer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Physical formats break down, some faster than others (cassettes being the first to degrade, typically). There really isn't a valid argument against that, although a lot of people will try and make one. I have some old demos that still sound fine, then some newer stuff that I know sounds worse than when I bought it just a few years ago. I have CDs from the 80's that are fine, stuff from 10 years ago with the dreaded "holes" in the foil. Vinyl seems to hold up best, but I've worn the fuck out of my copy of Nevermind the Bollocks over the last 20 years, so there's that...

End rant.
Candlemass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy is like 15 years old. I doubt he has 10 year old demo tapes rotting away.

gromcrom wrote:
Other fails must listen instead homeless hiking gypsy of Darkthrones.
blewcheer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candlemass wrote:
This guy is like 15 years old. I doubt he has 10 year old demo tapes rotting away.

Discogs is real as long as you believe in it deep down in your heart of hearts.
Anything is possible with the power of magic, comrade.
Caine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candlemass wrote:

double the 15 and you got it right! i even got tapes 20 years old.... Wink
Inverto Crosso

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the oldest tapes I have in my collection are +30 years. People and Cds rot and die...
Attic Snake

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes tape wears out. It's magnetic particles on plastic. Over time the particles and plastic wear away. Every time you play them you are ruining them. Same goes for vinyl. Ever heard stories of the bands doing to many overdubs and wearing their tapes to just about see through same goes for regular cassettes. Also if stored improperly the tape breaks down and sticks to itself causing drastic degradation in audio quality. Sometimes you get ghosting as well on older tapes wear the imprint from one part of the tape bleeds through and arranges the particles of another part of the tape and you hear both parts at once.

As far as the op's question. The tapes could be old and worn but if you are constantly getting panning, phase, and garbled audio issues it definitely could be the tape head.

"Boss Metalzone sucks dicks. It makes femmy noises and it sounds like a weak nerd with glasses limping to the pharmacy to buy allergy pills."
Speerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why people persist with this bullshit format I don't know.
Exitium

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speerhead wrote:

Because tapes are great. Rolling Eyes

Blutkvlt wrote:
Wear your cunted out black metal shirts while practicing occult rituals like burning sage and posting quotes from Aleister Crowley on facebook.
Endsieg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speerhead wrote:

you fail at kvlting!
Kill Monument

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: If Reply with quote

I like tapes but they are very unpredictable. Only in the last year has my copy of Alice in Chains 'Dirt' started to go to shit after, what, twenty plus years of regular play? I also have tapes that got fucked on their first spin. The best has to be my Cult of Fire tape with no music on it! At least it won't degrade, I suppose...

www.facebook.com/malthusianDM
Caine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what sucks the most while recording the last couple of days is that some tapes tend to have disbalances in L+R field. some seem to have lost a bit of it and am a bit louder on the right or left side..... fuck tapes especially the cheap Fero ones
Tireheb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you just buy your first used tapes and it came as a complete suprise? Smile
I have this record and can someone tell me what it sounds like, please.

"You can't hide the hook!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: