P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Receiving new records scratched or damaged
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tireheb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Records pressed at MMP (yes the Behexen was done there) can have variable quality. Some might have more bubbles, dust and other crap than others. Even the center hole can be fucked up.

Katharsis VVVVE was originally done there as well, at least my copy has a bubble on the start of side b. It was later pressed at GZ and it supposedly doesn't have these issues.
I have this record and can someone tell me what it sounds like, please.

"You can't hide the hook!"
Eivittu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backwards wrote:
I've had a similar problem with the Impetuous Ritual LP, only the opposite. It got really distorted and crackly during the really low end parts. I also thought it was needle problems. I decided to just get a new copy because I thought maybe it could have just been a defective LP, but the same problem was present on the new copy.

I dare to claim that your cartridge/record player is to blame. Maybe your record player isn't set right, maybe the cartridge doesn't work properly with your record player etc. I have this record and it sounds perfect on my record player but when I played it on my father's record player (which is about ten times more expensive) it got distorted. Have you experienced this with any other records, preferably with some that has a lot of lows etc?
Backwards

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eivittu wrote:
Backwards wrote:
I've had a similar problem with the Impetuous Ritual LP, only the opposite. It got really distorted and crackly during the really low end parts. I also thought it was needle problems. I decided to just get a new copy because I thought maybe it could have just been a defective LP, but the same problem was present on the new copy.

I dare to claim that your cartridge/record player is to blame. Maybe your record player isn't set right, maybe the cartridge doesn't work properly with your record player etc. I have this record and it sounds perfect on my record player but when I played it on my father's record player (which is about ten times more expensive) it got distorted. Have you experienced this with any other records, preferably with some that has a lot of lows etc?

No, not to the extent of the Impetuous Ritual LP.
Inverto Crosso

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that unusual to come across with warped records or records that aren't properly centered. Also, I don't understand why record labels choose to make the inner sleeves of thick heavy weight glossy paper. The most recent example of this is Gehenna's "Unravel" LP. I had to rip up the sleeve to get the record out and it was full of scuff marks.
Eivittu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backwards wrote:
Eivittu wrote:
Backwards wrote:

Hmm, that's odd. The fact that you simply got unlucky is pretty much out of question as well since you purchased another copy with same issue. Maybe something to do with the way the album was mastered and your needle can't follow the grooves properly? I guess we both agree that the album has very weird production so that could easily explain the distortion. I know you said it already but didn't you encounter this problem even with Grave Upheaval debut? Just asking as it's quite close to Impetuous Ritual production-wise. I haven't tested that album on my father's record player but will do the next time I visit him.
Eivittu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inverto Crosso wrote:
Also, I don't understand why record labels choose to make the inner sleeves of thick heavy weight glossy paper.

This is so annoying! Happens way too often. I wonder why not to use poly lined inner sleeves in the first place. Increase the price if necessary, I don't care. Just don't shove records in those tight shit sleeves that will leave records scratched.
Backwards

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eivittu wrote:
Backwards wrote:
Eivittu wrote:
Backwards wrote:

Hmm, that's odd. The fact that you simply got unlucky is pretty much out of question as well since you purchased another copy with same issue. Maybe something to do with the way the album was mastered and your needle can't follow the grooves properly? I guess we both agree that the album has very weird production so that could easily explain the distortion. I know you said it already but didn't you encounter this problem even with Grave Upheaval debut? Just asking as it's quite close to Impetuous Ritual production-wise. I haven't tested that album on my father's record player but will do the next time I visit him.

With the grave upheaval debut something else happens. Because it is soo bass heavy and resonant the bass drowns out everything. But that is due to my less than stellar receiver, I just turn the bass way down when I play that album. I do not get any distortion on it. I have a decent turntable, and put a grado black cartridge in it.
Tireheb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inverto Crosso wrote:
Also, I don't understand why record labels choose to make the inner sleeves of thick heavy weight glossy paper.

Not just inner sleeves, but also the actual cover sleeves. Some might remember first Hooded Menace LP's diehard edition. I bet those covers weight more than the LP's. Covers were so thick carton that it was impossible to put the LP's into the sleeves.
I have this record and can someone tell me what it sounds like, please.

"You can't hide the hook!"
the wizard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Satan Lp, clear 1, came with a big cum look alike mark on it and it was shrinkwrapped, fortunately it doesn't affect the playing btw always annoying for a brend nu record, any1 else in this case ?
Eivittu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backwards wrote:
Eivittu wrote:
Backwards wrote:
Eivittu wrote:
Backwards wrote:

With the grave upheaval debut something else happens. Because it is soo bass heavy and resonant the bass drowns out everything. But that is due to my less than stellar receiver, I just turn the bass way down when I play that album. I do not get any distortion on it. I have a decent turntable, and put a grado black cartridge in it.

Okay, thanks for clearing that out. However, our discussion got me curious and now I really want to try it on my father's record player. By the way, did anyone else receive shrink wrapped Teitanblood 7C with damage on records? My copy has about 1cm sized audible mark on side D. Didn't see it as a big deal so decided not complain about it but would be interested to know if someone else had similar experiences.
rthdx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tireheb wrote:
Covers were so thick carton that it was impossible to put the LP's into the sleeves.

Just a general note: it's quite possible to use thick material, but it do obviously require a different cutting mat, which is usually an "inexcusable waste of money" for the jews making "luxury" products aimed at the plebeians. I guess quite many have experienced troubles even with closing gatefolds made of just 350gr cardboard. Well, what can be expected if some greedy (or brainless) subhuman used the die-cut form with the spine width designed for 300 gr material (or even less). Wink
bigcartel
youtube
Backwards

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eivittu wrote:
Backwards wrote:
Eivittu wrote:
Backwards wrote:
Eivittu wrote:
Backwards wrote:

Okay, thanks for clearing that out. However, our discussion got me curious and now I really want to try it on my father's record player. By the way, did anyone else receive shrink wrapped Teitanblood 7C with damage on records? My copy has about 1cm sized audible mark on side D. Didn't see it as a big deal so decided not complain about it but would be interested to know if someone else had similar experiences.

I checked my copy and mine is clean. That looks like something that happened at the plant. A few of my records have similar marks, and ironically most of them were shrinkwrapped.
Fallen_Empire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's a legitimate gripe I will always replace an LP if the customer provides proof. There's a reason that plants usually press overages.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallen_Empire wrote:
If there's a legitimate gripe I will always replace an LP if the customer provides proof. There's a reason that plants usually press overages.

Its good when labels and distros do that, but with the costs of shipping and everything its just a headache for everyone.
bearsbearsbears

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had quite a few records show up with audible scratches/blemishes or what have you recently too. Same goes for loud pops or clicks in random areas of a record that visually appear fine. Really frustrating stuff; especially when it doesn't come out with a run through the Nitty Gritty. I've been lucky enough to be dealing with distros who are more than willing to replace the defective stuff at their expense however which is nice, but fuck... how hard is it to get a record out the door of a pressing plant without completely shredding it? Stop fucking shrinkwrapping records.

That method mentioned earlier by Orpheus about applying pressure to my cartridge as it passes over the problem spots sounds interesting but I get the feeling I would just fuck everything up even worse than before. Some ballsy stuff, doing that, haha.

Check out my sale-thread HERE!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: