P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Grindcore as a genre classification
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
obscureinfinity

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:30 am    Post subject: Grindcore as a genre classification Reply with quote

Just curious as to how many people, like me, consider grindcore in its purest form to be punk at its most extreme, and not a genre of metal. There have always been crossovers and similarities between punk and metal and this is obviously just nitpicking, but I find the progression of hardcore punk, to crust, to grind to make more sense than grind itself being considered a genre of metal. I think the confusion is centered around the emerging grind and death metal scenes happening at the same time, which saw bands from both genres at their most intense.

I could see it argued how Napalm Death, Repulsion, Terrorizer and other pioneers could be considered death/grind but something about the attitude and power chord driven riffs make it easier for me to label them grindcore. Thoughts?
salted

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I always thought it owed a lot more to punk than metal.

But mostly I thought it was shit
ADK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debatable, but for me it's a Metal subgenre. Fear of God and Anal Cunt both had Metal connections before and Napalm Death was already completely different band when they shifted from HC-Punk to Grindcore and brutalized their sound. And bands like Carcass, Repulsion, Terrorizer or Impetigo are clearly not thinkable without the Death Metal context. I think all these bands are closer to Venom than to the Sex Pistols.
dronevil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Grindcore as a genre classification Reply with quote

obscureinfinity wrote:
power chord driven riffs make it easier for me to label them grindcore.

That doesn't even make any sense. Don't metal bands mostly play power chord riffs too? Unless you're talking about the more shreddy bands that play more scales than riffs.
obscureinfinity

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impetigo are death/grind and I'd say the same about the first two Carcass albums. I don't hear death metal in Terrorizer riff-wise but the guitar-tone is pretty metallic and similar to a lot of Floridian stuff so I get where you're coming from. Repulsion sound pretty punk oriented to me but I can admit to hearing some death metal riffs pop up on Horrified.

The Sex Pistols are as light as punk gets just like Judas Priest is about as light as metal gets -- naturally, seeing as how both bands helped pioneer their respective genres. Punk got more intense with hardcore in the 80s, same as metal, so I think it would be more fitting to use Discharge, Anti Cimex, Doom, and Amebix as examples instead of 77-punk.

Last edited by obscureinfinity on Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:49 am; edited 2 times in total
obscureinfinity

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Grindcore as a genre classification Reply with quote

dronevil wrote:
obscureinfinity wrote:
power chord driven riffs make it easier for me to label them grindcore.

That doesn't even make any sense. Don't metal bands mostly play power chord riffs too? Unless you're talking about the more shreddy bands that play more scales than riffs.

Of course but it's rare to find entire metal songs or at least albums based around only power chords don't you think? Punk rock songwriting is pretty much exclusively written with power and bar chords.

I'm not pretending like everything I'm saying here is consistent -- since genre classifications never are.
sloughfegkillers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a kid I knew grind core as something that had its foundations in punk.
obscureinfinity

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that semantics matter all that much here but the -core in grindcore always made me think it was a subgenre of hardcore.
sloughfegkillers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's pretty obvious, prog-punk Laughing
paintedbird

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

salted wrote:
shit
sloughfegkillers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A band like Sore Throat comes to mind...I don't think they gave a fuck about being labelled, their attitude probably made them closer to punk.
ADK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obscureinfinity wrote:
Punk got more intense with hardcore in the 80s, same as metal, so I think it would be more fitting to use Discharge, Anti Cimex, Doom, and Amebix as examples instead of 77-punk.

Fair point, but I would argue that all those bands can be traced back to Discharge, and their influential stuff came out after they brutalized their music under the influence of Motörhead (and probably Venom). Early Discharge singles were just regular Punk Rock, and by the way the early Onslaught stuff doesn't sound much different.
stenchofburningdeath

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, good grind borrows about 50/50 from 80's hc punk and metal. Bands that leave one or the other out pretty much consistently suck.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It clearly takes influence from both so arguing "is it more of this than this" seems like a real waste of time....
sloughfegkillers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to Joy Division's Interzone, post punk gone heavy metal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: