P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

USBM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Choose
Judas Iscariot
13%
 13%  [ 20 ]
Black Funeral
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Leviathan
8%
 8%  [ 13 ]
Absu
28%
 28%  [ 42 ]
Black Witchery
20%
 20%  [ 30 ]
Xasthur
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
Crebain
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Lurker of Chalice
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Profanatica
12%
 12%  [ 18 ]
Weakling
5%
 5%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 145

theliving

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

astralvesl wrote:
For some reason I always though Cobalt was Canadian. Black metal band for people who don't like black metal imo.

I don't see them as a black metal band. As much as I love said genre, Cobalt is something else. Well, was something else. I do enjoy "Gin." "Eater of Birds" though...primal metal fury. Love it. Only thing from the last decade that touches it for me is "Pilgrimage." Totally different vibes. Both masterfully crafted.

USBM has always been pretty second rate. I had a soft spot for a lot of it in high school, it was some of the first black metal I would hear.

I can't think of anything from the US I'd say in the same breath as the likes of "Filosofem," ILDJARN, early ULVER, BRANIKALD, etc. Europe/Russia corners the market on this style EASILY.

I could name another dozen or more bands that I'd hold above anything from the USBM scene. The above are just the obvious masters, in my mind.
nileppez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theliving wrote:
eighthplague wrote:
Denominator_Zero wrote:
COBALT.

WAS/IS TERRIBLE.

"Eater of Birds" > Everything mentioned in this thread.

Are you homosexual?
Joker, The

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Kansas City)Watain. The TRUE WATAIN!
theliving

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nileppez wrote:
theliving wrote:
eighthplague wrote:
Denominator_Zero wrote:
COBALT.

WAS/IS TERRIBLE.

"Eater of Birds" > Everything mentioned in this thread.

Are you homosexual?

Do you want to tongue my ass? Smile
eighthplague

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even know what "USBM" is. There's no sound associated with the country, there's no connected "scene", and it's all because you're talking about a MASSIVE chunk of land. The originator of that fucking term as some sort of pseudo-sub-genre needs lynched.
theliving

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all seriousness though...

IF THAT'S POSSIBLE HERE Rolling Eyes

Let's break it down.

We have Judas Iscariot and friends (Nachtmystium & Krieg). ALL second-rate tribute bands, and that is being very generous. If black metal is all about SPIRIT than these bands all fall flat. You quit making tunes because daddy needed to be re-elected? KVLT. Arrow

Leviathan, Xasthur, Dragaur, et al in CALIFORNIA. Well, I don't even need to say much here. Unique in some regards, laughable in others. Plenty of unique music out there, doesn't mean it should be remembered.
(Case & POINT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uA_Ff4GQrY )

Grand Belial's Key? Demoncy? Von? Black Witchery? With the exception of VON, what have any of these bands offered that was GROUND-BREAKING or NEW? OH EM GEE, a black metal band playing PUNK riffs!! THAT'S SO ORIGINAL. You want to molest Jesus, we get it. GBK is immature hooligan metal. Moving along.

(I do like Demoncy, but really...BEHERIT. All I need to say here)

Weakling? Cool, I enjoy it to a point. Really though, I'd rather spend my time listening to SWANS. JG wishes he was Gira. (I'm being overtly patronizing now, I'll admit)

HOWEVER

There are a few bands who do push the envelope and try to make their own identity within the USBM scene. I tip my hat to them, even if the music isn't that great.

I would rather a C+ original band than perfect clone of something that was done better in 1993. Tribute bands are fun and all (Apokalyptic Raids) but at the end of the day...if we listen to a variety of music do we really need 12 bands that all sound like BURZUM/MAYHEM/DARKTHRONE?

The answer for me is no, I don't. Fuck, I'd rather listen to TEGAN & SARA over Drowning the Light. Smile

ENJOY: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e9NSMY8QiQ&feature=kp

Exclamation
eighthplague

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the stuff coming out of Europe just sounds like "BURZUM/MAYHEM/DARKTHRONE", too. The argument you're making doesn't seem to hold up when you consider that newer bands from the world over take at least some influence from what came before them. I haven't heard a really original new black metal band in years, location be damned.

Ironic to your post, the upcoming Krieg album is really fresh sounding.
invinCIBility

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
Yamatu: I don't remember them being any good
Enbilulugugal: They sounded like noise core.
Tjolgtar: Don't know them. youtube link?
Lucifer's Hammer: I think the 7" I have sounds more like death metal. Youtube link to any black metal era stuff?
Usurper: Were they really black metal? I like their demo, first album and MCD but never really considered them to be bm.
Ritual: Drum machine black metal. They were never good.
Ember: I remember liking one MCD by them but don't really remember them.

Lucifer's Hammer didn't have a 7", maybe you're thinking of Masochist...

First Yamatu tape is cool enough, listen to the tail end haha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNyQWTl2rY0

LOL @ Centuries of Deception!
theliving

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe you. "Blue Miasma" and "The Isolationist" were absolutely horrible. Share. Enlighten me. I loved "The Black House" as a kid, I'd love to feel that rush again.

There's a difference between influence and plagiarism. To your credit, each Vrolok release had its own identity even though the influences were at the forefront. "Soul Amputation" is one of the more original things I've heard in the last decade. Despite that it takes a lot from other modern/past bands. It's about taking your influences and molding that into something fresh.

I'm sure a lot of artists today could paint an exact replica of the MONA LISA. Is there a point to that? That question is the best example I have as to why most bands today aren't worth MY time.

Something like "Ascetic Meditation of Death" by Cult of Fire is GREAT to me. It may not bring anything new to the table if you break it apart. It's basically Ravi Shankar tracks spliced into black metal. Cool, we broke it down. As an ENTITY, that album stands by itself. I LOVE it. What other band has taken the raw, ferocious essence of black metal and combined it with Hindu mysticism and instrumentation?

A band like Drowning the Light or Satanic Warmaster takes the template of a very specific sub-genre and apes it. I don't need to hear Vlad Tepes part II. Personal opinion of course!

Something like "Soul Amputation" or "Ascetic Meditation of Death" may sound like bits and pieces of other bands. They are at least trying to forge new paths.

Innovation and evolution are key. Metal seems to hate both.
invinCIBility

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is retarded, but I like it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQf3PsXPJkY

Someone trade or sell me the tape.

Always wanted to hear the Centuries of Deception guy's other band Enchanted Sorrow. I think the other member might've been Ray Shipley from SOL Evil.
astralvesl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does everything have to be new, original or innovative to be good? This is black metal, I like Judas Iscariot because they sound like Darkthrone, I don't want them to be innovative. I've never understood that criticism: I enjoy pizza, just because some jackass isn't putting sushi and chicken fingers on it doesn't mean he can't make a damn good pizza.
theliving

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judas Iscariot sucks at making pizza. OBVIOUUSLY
the coming of blood angel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamatu is pretty good. It's cheesy Italian horror prog black metal but I think it has it's charms.
eighthplague

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the coming of blood angel wrote:
Yamatu is pretty good. It's cheesy Italian horror prog black metal but I think it has it's charms.

That's a cool description. It might be time to revisit them.
la_ciudad_podrida

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:
the coming of blood angel wrote:

That's a cool description. It might be time to revisit them.

I think they pull this off the best. Yamatu is one of those projects that really sticks out to me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: