P R O D U C T I O N S
 
 FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 
 Profile 
 Log in to check your private messages 
 Log in 

Vinyl Talk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Nosliw



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Posts: 1776
Location: Ottawa, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't come across a lot of warped records on my end <knocks on wood> except for one package from Japan where the packaging was completely crushed, warping my records pretty badily. Idiots working at Purolator, I say. Other than that, all of my records are taken care with great care, thanks to Canada Post and USPS.

It seems that the resurgence of vinyl due to those silly hipster and scene kiddies has caused the plants to churn out junk records and lower QA. Damn them for that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
guitar_Demon



Joined: 01 Dec 2007
Posts: 418
Location: the islands

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:
Nothing made today is of the quality of yesterday. Cars and now vinyl albums it would seem.

.

a truer statement was never spoken, i hate new cars , i have a 78 and unless i can absolutly avoid i wont buy anything newer, actually ive been looking for a 47 ford truck to restore for the past year or so Very Happy haha
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Endless Morbidity



Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 2108
Location: New York

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says on piratepress.com that GZ uses 100% "virgin vinyl".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Demoniarch



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 5900

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be that some of the producers of vinyl, and I imagine it is even true to an extent realize or think that a majority of the people buying vinyl are not buying it to listen to at all anyways. The vinyl is bought to collect, hang on walls, to sort through and gloat in the bragging rights of having one of the 1000 made. Then listen to the cd that is released instead.

So why would anyone bother to make quality vinyl when I bet 3/4 of the people would not even realize they had a warped record or not anyways.

Maybe I am off the mark, yet it sounds fairly reasonable. Or it is just that in the haste to make as many and as much of them as possible we get what we get. Friday vinyls.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Endless Morbidity



Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 2108
Location: New York

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's true. Especially of the bigger labels, who all of the sudden are making more vinyl editions. That was probably Back in Black's original belief, until they got complaints for their early releases.

Fucking Best Buy is setting up vinyl sections in their stores now, from what I hear and they sell a ton of it through their website.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Evil Fifi



Joined: 25 Jan 2008
Posts: 405

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:
My guess would be that some of the producers of vinyl, and I imagine it is even true to an extent realize or think that a majority of the people buying vinyl are not buying it to listen to at all anyways. The vinyl is bought to collect, hang on walls, to sort through and gloat in the bragging rights of having one of the 1000 made. Then listen to the cd that is released instead.

So why would anyone bother to make quality vinyl when I bet 3/4 of the people would not even realize they had a warped record or not anyways.

Maybe I am off the mark, yet it sounds fairly reasonable. Or it is just that in the haste to make as many and as much of them as possible we get what we get. Friday vinyls.


I guess a bit off the mark.

I for one was talking about vinyl released by small labels, where a press run of 500 - 1000 was always "normal" (because of lack of money or because not that many people were interested in that kind of music). Where stuff is released for the sake of it, where there never was a "vinyl hype" because it was the normal thing to do.

Therefore I think an explanation like that of "schadel_reich" or "stampoutdisco" on page 1 is much more reasonable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CR99



Joined: 26 May 2007
Posts: 9620
Location: M�lheim an der Ruhr/Germany

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endless Morbidity wrote:
I think in some way that has to do with newer inner sleeves that are used, those semi gloss ones. I hate having to pull an LP out of those. It's a such a tight fit, it feels like LP is stuck to it, and I'm pretty sure they cause surface scratches.


How I hate that sound when pulling the vinyls out of that crap. "SQUUUUUEEEEEECH"

I usually throw them to the trash and put on good old fashioned paper ones

PS: Never had any warped vinyls so far...?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Endless Morbidity



Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 2108
Location: New York

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the good ol' plastic inner sleeves that were almost like a bag, but they have chemicals that could fuck up your vinyl. The newer inner sleeves suck, but I wonder if they aren't "acid bearing". According to the Record Collectors Guild, all paper sleeves are going to create scratches on your vinyl with each pass and they advice you to use "rice paper" sleeves from Japan.

I'm obsessive compulsive, but not that bad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jimmy Ghione
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CR99 wrote:
How I hate that sound when pulling the vinyls out of that crap. "SQUUUUUEEEEEECH"

How I'd love it to hear your german shithead do the same sound when I kick your mouth and put an end to your retarded whining. "SQUUUUUEEEEEECH".
Back to top
Shiru



Joined: 04 Feb 2007
Posts: 1819
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Fifi wrote:
Demoniarch wrote:
My guess would be that some of the producers of vinyl, and I imagine it is even true to an extent realize or think that a majority of the people buying vinyl are not buying it to listen to at all anyways. The vinyl is bought to collect, hang on walls, to sort through and gloat in the bragging rights of having one of the 1000 made. Then listen to the cd that is released instead.

So why would anyone bother to make quality vinyl when I bet 3/4 of the people would not even realize they had a warped record or not anyways.

Maybe I am off the mark, yet it sounds fairly reasonable. Or it is just that in the haste to make as many and as much of them as possible we get what we get. Friday vinyls.


I guess a bit off the mark.

I for one was talking about vinyl released by small labels, where a press run of 500 - 1000 was always "normal" (because of lack of money or because not that many people were interested in that kind of music). Where stuff is released for the sake of it, where there never was a "vinyl hype" because it was the normal thing to do.

Therefore I think an explanation like that of "schadel_reich" or "stampoutdisco" on page 1 is much more reasonable.


But it made on same factories
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Evil Fifi



Joined: 25 Jan 2008
Posts: 405

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiru wrote:

But it made on same factories


Hello Shiru-shiru :)
if that was supposed to be a question, then my answer is: "I don't have a clue".
If that was supposed to be a statement, then my answer is none at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CR99



Joined: 26 May 2007
Posts: 9620
Location: M�lheim an der Ruhr/Germany

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endless Morbidity wrote:
all paper sleeves are going to create scratches on your vinyl with each pass and they advice you to use "rice paper" sleeves from Japan.


How do you get those? They cost a fortune I assume, right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hellfire Commando



Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 2235
Location: Montral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also read that those annoying plastic inner sleeves were the best for keeping your vinyl intact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kapalika



Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 2425
Location: Germoney

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endless Morbidity wrote:
[...]"rice paper" sleeves from Japan.



Paper on the outside, semi-transparent stuff (for a lack of a better description) on the inside?
At least those are what I buy at a local second hand record shop.
_________________
A nobody in a world of somebodies
Black market list
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
doomedplanet



Joined: 03 Nov 2006
Posts: 477
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great thread.

All of the vinyl made by the pressing plant GZ Digital media (all 12” vinyl pressed by NWN is done there) is really highly charged with static. That shit paper they use is terrible for records, there are really only a couple of things to do:

Throw out those crappy semi gloss inner sleeves they use. These sleeves scratch the crap out of your records. I don't even take the records out, I “tear” the sleeves off in such a way as not to scratch the vinyl. If it is a printed version of those crap semi gloss inner sleeves I gently remove the vinyl trying not to scratch it. If it is one of the hard printed inner sleeves I also take it the record out.

I then clean the record using this:

http://www.vpiindustries.com/products_165.htm

I bought it when it was ½ that price in the 90's.

The other thing to track down is a Panasonic bh-653 anti-static gun from the 70's, they show up on ebay now and again for cheap. They are battery powered and work. I once did a test. It was a dusty day and I could see dust floating in the air. As I took a new record out of the crap sleeve I could see all the dust in the air in the area of the vinyl get attracted to the record! I zapped it with this gun and cleaned the record and guess what? It didn't have that strong static and the dust was not flying towards the record.

I then put the record in this:
japanese innersleeve:

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-LP-LD-INNER-Sleeve-Japan-Made-Archival-Anti-Static_W0QQitemZ360085119891QQihZ023QQcategoryZ52473QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

for $.15 cheap price each it is a lot nicer than having the records scratched to shit by crap sleeves.
These sleeves also help reduce static.

Tracking the 3 items above was worth every cent. Especially old 70's vinyl for example with caked in dirt gets easily cleaned outby the HW-16 . Take your records and just look at it under a bright light and see how dirty they are. Every time you play a dirty record that dirt gets ground into the grooves and also damages the needle, making it wear out faster.

schadel_reich wrote:
I say this due to my experiences with records collecting dust and skipping. I find that newer records attract dust pretty damned easily. I have some original Possessed and Motorhead records and none of these get dust in the groove and they definitely don't skip. Meanwhile, some more recent records such as the Victimizer "Communist Crusher" EP seem to get dust in the groove easily. And I do keep my vinyl in good condition.



Endless Morbidity wrote:
I think in some way that has to do with newer inner sleeves that are used, those semi gloss ones. I hate having to pull an LP out of those. It's a such a tight fit, it feels like LP is stuck to it, and I'm pretty sure they cause surface scratches.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group