P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Vinyl Talk
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Vinyl Talk Reply with quote

First:

Since I just got myself a new receiver and pair of speakers, I put on the following:

ROOT - Hell Symphony pic LP
OFERMOD MLP
NIFELHEIM - Envoy of Lucifer

All three were warped. The Root was just wavy, but the other two were skipping and bouncing the needle right off the record.

I played some older LP's that I had for longer, shit from the 70's and 80's and they were fine. So my question is, are newer vinyls more prone to warping or some shit? Particular thicker ones? I noticed that many of my newer ones are warped.
dronevil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also found many of the new vinyls i bought are slightly warped, 12's usually plays alright but the 7's skips hardout, i usually put some stuff on the center label while playing and it works alright...
Evil Fifi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that as well (gladly no bouncing, but minor warping on a lot of vinyls). From what
I remember it was mostly on the newer stuff (has been a while, fucked up stereo). Might be
due to the way I stored them (on the floor, leaning against the wall, kinda like this (looking
from the side): //////), or the climate in the room (like in winter when the room is heated
up and then I open the windows and temperature falls for a few degrees), or maybe it's just
the quality of the vinyls themselves. Have to admit it got me kinda itchy when I noticed,
like "what the hell...argh, panic on the titanic".
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a few more LP's tonight. "Slightly warped" is exactly it. The LP is very wobbly on the turntable and you can see the tonearm bouncing up and down, but not off the record. That only happens with a few of them and it's very fucking annoying. Nothing can piss me off more than a fucking LP pressed within the last year or two, that is pretty much worthless now due to warping.

For the last few months my record collection was stored in a room without windows. The big problem is that there is WAY too much baseboard for such a small room, causing it to become a fucking inferno when you turn the heat on during the winter. I also ran a dehumidifier in here. It kept the place nice and dry, but it also made the room ultra hot as well.

But the oddest thing is the fact that some of the vinyls from the 70's play perfect, but almost every newer LP has some degree of warping.

Maybe I'll get lucky and they will fix themselves. I once had a record that was badly warped, but since it was rare I kept it. I recently put it on just for the hell of it, and it actually places perfectly now.
schadel_reich

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with warping could be due to the material being slightly different. I say this due to my experiences with records collecting dust and skipping. I find that newer records attract dust pretty damned easily. I have some original Possessed and Motorhead records and none of these get dust in the groove and they definitely don't skip. Meanwhile, some more recent records such as the Victimizer "Communist Crusher" EP seem to get dust in the groove easily. And I do keep my vinyl in good condition.
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in some way that has to do with newer inner sleeves that are used, those semi gloss ones. I hate having to pull an LP out of those. It's a such a tight fit, it feels like LP is stuck to it, and I'm pretty sure they cause surface scratches.
stampoutdisco

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it could have something to do with the gap in vinyl demand in the 90's, all the old timers who had been making vinyl forever, were out of a job, and the young hip things who bought the presses and opened up small pressing plants had to learn from scratch, and didnt go through any training, or apprenticeship or whatever with making records??

Or maybe the price of high quality vinyl was cheaper in the 50s/60's/70's and now with oil prices going up, rather then rise prices pressing plants use cheaper inferior vinyl??

These are just theories.....
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The badly warped records I could play by adjusting the tonearm weight, where the cartridge is closer to the LP, but of course causes it to drag across the record, creating an annoying sound and most likely further damage to the LP.

Speaking of pressing plants, I'm curious to know exactly how many are left in the world. Particularly in the US.
Evil Fifi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endless Morbidity wrote:
I think in some way that has to do with newer inner sleeves that are used, those semi gloss ones. I hate having to pull an LP out of those. It's a such a tight fit, it feels like LP is stuck to it, and I'm pretty sure they cause surface scratches.

Love that as well, gggrrrr. I had new stuff coming in this kind of inner sleeve with leftovers - seemingly - from the pressing plant in it (you know some black particles). My my, did those lp's look nice when I pulled them out of the sleeve. I also have quite a few lp's - newer stuff - which looked fucked right from the very start, usually looks like someone tried to clean the lp with some kind of very soft sandpaper
(usually only visible if a light source shines from a certain angle on the vinyl).

As for the warping: did anyone notice that those lp's are only warped on one side? I had stuff where one side played with no warping at all while the other had some of that slight warping. Or maybe I'm paranoid.
dronevil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Fifi wrote:

As for the warping: did anyone notice that those lp's are only warped on one side? I had stuff where one side played with no warping at all while the other had some of that slight warping. Or maybe I'm paranoid.

i also noticed that, for those new warped vinyls only one side skips and the other side works fine...
Shiru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, many LPs that reached my mailbox was warped, thogh very very few wasnt playing...i mean skipping
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing made today is of the quality of yesterday. Cars and now vinyl albums it would seem.

I am guessing the whole new surge of interest in vinyl has a few producers of the format churning this shit out as fast as they can and quality control be damned.
Bestial Devastator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problems with skipping vinyls of newer releases but since I changed my stylus they all play fine.
Jimmy Ghione

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schadel_reich wrote:
The problem with warping could be due to the material being slightly different. I say this due to my experiences with records collecting dust and skipping. I find that newer records attract dust pretty damned easily. I have some original Possessed and Motorhead records and none of these get dust in the groove and they definitely don't skip. Meanwhile, some more recent records such as the Victimizer "Communist Crusher" EP seem to get dust in the groove easily. And I do keep my vinyl in good condition.

+1. Say 'thanks GZ media' twice every night before falling asleep for that, my guess is they use recycled vinyl to press that cheap crap which for some weird reason they dare to call 'records'. Not to mention the horrible picture discs they make, those pale colours they use sometimes make the background picture look transparent almost. I wonder why can't labels use a more professional pressing plant, are prices really that outrageously higher compared to GZ?

Czechs should only mind stuff that they know how to handle properly, i.e. running whore houses for horny italian tourists.
Kapalika

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are good at beer brewing as well. Wink

I luckily never had a problem with serious warping rendering a new record unplayable BUTnewly bought vinyl with surface scratches due to poor handling at the production facility seem to be on the rise - as it was the case with my copy of the Necros Christos album. Shrinkwrapped but plenty of those scratches (exactly as those Evil Fifi described).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: