P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

What shortcuts do you use to filter bands?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: What shortcuts do you use to filter bands? Reply with quote

Since there are literally thousands upon thousands of bands out there, it's impossible to check them all out, and the number grows each day. As with anything else in life, the vast majority of it is crap, and maybe 10% of it worth a spin or two, with a nearly infinitely smaller number of them being truly special that'll stick with you over the years.

As I age, I find myself having zero interest in checking out bands with names like "Uunteyylsynkkeytbthqphoguiopncve". I get that it may seem shallow, or ethnocentric in the case of bands using obscure words in their mother tongue, but at the same time, I just don't fucking care. Gotta make cuts somewhere, and a band with a name that I have zero chance of remembering, let alone being able to recommend it to someone from memory is an easy cut to make. Especially when a lot of it is rather riffless stuff depending on "atmosphere" instead of skilled songwriting.

I'm sure I've missed out on a few good things that fall in that category over the years, but I'm okay with it. I know lots of bands use the "we don't want our name and music to appeal to many people" schtick, but I don't buy it. If that was true, you woudn't bother recording your stuff and spreading it around the world. I guess it comes off as lazy to me in the regard that if you truly had art you felt was worthwhile to share with the world, you'd make an effort to have a name that people can remember. Again, I'm aware this is a subjective thing on my part, and I'm also aware that as the years go on, it's harder and harder to come up with a great name, but it doesn't change the way I feel.

Black and white 90's style albums covers/corpse paint/weapons in the woods etc being used in the last 20 years is another immediate hard pass for me. It shows a lack of self awareness that makes me completely uninterested in the music. Maybe I've missed out on a few good Darkclones because of that, but then again, that style has been beaten into the ground for more than 20 years. The world doesn't any more of it and the classics will last me a lifetime.

So, how do you filter through the heaps of music out there? Are there any rules of thumb you use? Might be a decent topic for discussion on here instead of the endless -what's your favorite song on this album- polls littering the board. Feel free to rip me a new one, or better yet, give me some more tips on how to stay angry and hate new bands.

Edit: Lots of people replying with how they can tell with a short sample of music if a band is worth their time. That's fine, I do the same, but I'm asking specifically for things that make you not even bother to check the bands music out at all.

Last edited by blodhemn9 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ough

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really the only filter I have is: does this shit have RIFFS?
Professor Black

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They aren't perfect but I can usually rule a band out based on:

Latin song/album titles
More than 2 word band name
Less than 3 band members

www.bathorybook.com
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ough wrote:

Riffs are definitely the most important thing in metal to me, by a long shot. But still, you can't check out every band ever to see if they have riffs. There's got to be some sort of method Laughing
Ough

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
Ough wrote:

Riffs are definitely the most important thing in metal to me, by a long shot. But still, you can't check out every band ever to see if they have riffs. There's got to be some sort of method Laughing

Yeah, that's the filter once I do decide to hit play on a Bandcamp or whatever, but not really sure what it is that leads me to there... maybe label affiliation, or comments by like-minded individuals on message boards such as this place, or compelling artwork etc...
The Fallen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually something like;

Does the bandname/albumtitle/concept/artwork speak to my imagination?
If yes, then, does the music live up to my expectations based on bandname/albumtitle/concept/artwork?
Upon first listen, does the music grab my attention and does it make me want to hear more?
extinctionbehavior

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more demented the album cover the better has usually worked for me. If an album has a less cool cover and I still want to check it out, I listen to the shortest song to see if it beats ass, and if the shortest song doesn't beat ass, then the rest is boring to me. There needs to be a Riff Committee stamp of approval of sorts on certified riffers
Uncolored

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first thing I check is the label that is releasing the stuff. if I like most of their catalogue I will surely at least check out with few spins on bandcamp/youtube.
if it's advertised like "crazy old school metal in the vein of 80's gods bla bla bla" but it's nuclear blast or metal blade I won't even bother.

also I check bands based on comments of people/friends I trust and that I know I have common musical taste.

do you need buttons for your band/distro/label? send me a pm
Ough

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

extinctionbehavior wrote:
The more demented the album cover the better has usually worked for me. If an album has a less cool cover and I still want to check it out, I listen to the shortest song to see if it beats ass, and if the shortest song doesn't beat ass, then the rest is boring to me. There needs to be a Riff Committee stamp of approval of sorts on certified riffers

I'm with this guy
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should clarify too that a big part of it is that I've been into underground metal for 24 years at this point, and I have a couple thousands albums across different mediums that I don't have enough time to listen to as is. So the will to check out new stuff has really decreased in the last few years, and the overwhelming amount of it makes it even less likely that I'll put the time into it. So I find myself coming up with arbitrary reasons why I don't check out this or that band out that people who still keep up more than I do tell me to check out.
fantomasragnarok

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No bands from Israel, South America, Africa, the middle east or other shit hole countries.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dementedness or lack thereof in the artwork doesn't matter one way or another to me at this point, I'm long past being intrigued by weirdness, but I'm 100% on board with the rest of your position Laughing Especially if the shortest song doesn't beat ass, it might not be worth my time.
GrimorthPaleblood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't have any, I just listen to everything I can as long as it stays within the genres I can appreciate. Whether it is Rock, Metal, Punk, Ambient, Electronic and everything in between. I'm not the EDM or Rap type of guy, so I generally try to avoid those.

This is spot-on as well too though.

Last edited by GrimorthPaleblood on Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Backwards

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Label is a good indicator of worthy or not worthy of checking out.

Last edited by Backwards on Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:50 am; edited 2 times in total
IXTAB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: What shortcuts do you use to filter bands? Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:

As I age, I find myself having zero interest in checking out bands with names like "Uunteyylsynkkeytbthqphoguiopncve". I get that it may seem shallow, or ethnocentric in the case of bands using obscure words in their mother tongue, but at the same time, I just don't fucking care.

Guilty as charged!
3. Content related to Necroytardonic Records
4. Memes
5. Ebonics

e-mail ixtab[at]nwnprod[dot]com regarding forum account activation or problems
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: