P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Ordo Ad Chao
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thoth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I'm listening to this album again and shit, there's some really fucking killer material. Definitely their best work after DMDS. Too bad for the sound, really... this album would've been a total classic with a decent sound. Worst part is that I don't think it needs to be much more different than that, perhaps a little bit less low mids, more mids & highs and some reverb... since I have my own studio I think I'll actually try to remaster the whole thing just for my own personal pleasure and see if I can make it sound good enough for me to actually want to listen to it from time to time, haha
caligulasremains

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you do... hook it up. and then maybe release a bootleg cd r and write on the cover that it has atilla, dead, and maniac on vocals ;]
Frozen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoth wrote:
Man, I'm listening to this album again and shit, there's some really fucking killer material. Definitely their best work after DMDS. Too bad for the sound, really... this album would've been a total classic with a decent sound. Worst part is that I don't think it needs to be much more different than that, perhaps a little bit less low mids, more mids & highs and some reverb... since I have my own studio I think I'll actually try to remaster the whole thing just for my own personal pleasure and see if I can make it sound good enough for me to actually want to listen to it from time to time, haha

Give it a listen with a good pair of headphones if you haven't. Makes all the difference.
dAHMER

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always takes a moment for my ears to adjust to the production, but once that happens, I'm fine with it and I think it kind of works with the material. Killer stuff!
W. Helm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There;s always something to moan about productions. Either it's too clear or too muddy or whatever. This production suits the music. It's obscure and abrasive, just like the music.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I find annoying about the production is that it seems to get slightly better as the album plays on... or is that just me?
Thoth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch: might simply be that you get used to it.

Otherwise, I do agree that the production does fit the music, however it really seems as if it was sabotaged. I mean, I do like the idea of a really murky and necro production, but in this case it's also completely flat. Since the music is very much about ambiance and that feeling of unease, this flat, absolutely unmixed/unmastered production really takes OUT of the feel of the music.

Anyway, my 2c.
Frozen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns the lights off and listen to it with headphones. It's anything but flat.
caligulasremains

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrong, still flat. the lights didn't make any difference to the sound either.

and my headphones are some of the best on the market.
Frozen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we just have a different definition of the word then. I find the mix to be really interesting actually. Very dynamic.
southern_death

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know why this album is so discussed/respected...

And in the other hand Chimera normally bashed; that is truly one competent black metal album, one of the few BM albums with crystal clear production that I can stand and enjoy...

Ordo ad Chao is a rip off of later Deathspell Omega and later Blut aus Nord with a pseudo focus on atmosphere...

It's not bad, but clearly overrated. And I personally think they were dishonest using that production values... knowing all the money and production work used in previous full lengths, knowing they are up in wave of 'main$tream' black metal, it's almost just a gimmick...

Chimera is competent and honest in what it presents, Ordo ad Chao -while not bad- is clearly overrated, a kind of rip off style and not totally honest production sound...

This is my humble opinion listened various times to the last mayhem...
Frozen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both albums a lot. The riffing on Chimera is off the hook.
Opolus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozen wrote:

QFT. As a whole "Chimera" may very well be the better album, but the horribly clean, streamlined production (drums, anyone?), coupled with Maniac's atrocious vocals ruin it for me. A shame really, because the guitar work is simply phenomenal!

P.S.
Also agree on one of the above posts about the fact, that if an unknown band on the "right" (whatever that means) label would've released "Ordo..." most wannabe Black/Death Metal underground wankers would've creamed their pants over the album, just sayin'...
W. Helm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opolus wrote:
Frozen wrote:

QFT. As a whole "Chimera" may very well be the better album, but the horribly clean, streamlined production (drums, anyone?), coupled with Maniac's atrocious vocals ruin it for me. A shame really, because the guitar work is simply phenomenal!

On that album I actually started appreciating maniacīs vocals. And the guitarwork is stellar indeed!
Frozen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny when people nag about productions. Sure Chimera is quite an artificial sounding album, but it's well balanced and what else would have fit it's style? It's a modern Black Metal record with nihilistic/militant lyrics. I think the production fits it perfectly. Cold, cynical and efficient. Would have ruined it to drench it in reverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: