P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Ever tried to stop collecting?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
obscureinfinity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AOD wrote:
Well, I don't see me as a collector, but a fan and, last but not least, a listener. I buy stuff that I like and if I dislike some records, I sell them.
I don't care about complete discographies...if a band releases 10 albums and I like only 7, I will skip the other 3 albums...but I can become very obsessive when I really worship a band...so I am hunting for bootlegs and rehearsal stuff.
Sometimes I am in the mood to clean out my collection from stuff I bough in LP packages 20 years ago. Of course, I have a huge collection, but I try to keep it as big as it is. I always sell some stuff to buy new stuff...but there are many collectors out there who simply buy every colour of each album they like...this seems to be very strange...I always prefer black vinyl and sometimes I buy CDs...not the format is the important thing, but the music itself I think.

This. I have no interest in owning a band's entire discography if they went for a sound I don't care for on later albums. The point of owning a collection, above all else, is to listen to the music. I can't see that ever getting old.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry Rollins on "collector scum."
http://m.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/01/19/henry-rollins-the-column-are-you-collector-scum?showFullText=true
thus

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of it is the label's fault... labels who deliberately cater to the "scum" are degrading themselves and lose my respect, though overall they may be increasing their sales.

There's nothing wrong with diehard editions in principle. People who want to pay more get cool stuff like NWN's tapestries. But anyone who buys into the "100 red, 200 green, 300 blue" thing should be gassed. Labels doing that shit are probably using CD masters and artwork anyways, since their releases are not marketed as something meant to be played.

I think it's a lot worse in the mainstream than it is at this tier of the "underground" though.
Cursed_Reefer

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy music to LISTEN to it. I do collect Reifert releases, cause I'm a fanboy, but that's all.

Why should I support Nuclear Blast buying all coloured versions instead of buying one black LP or one coloured at my choice? You don't support bands doing this. I'm talking about the new stuff that's coming out today. Nothing wrong about collecting ancient albums in different formats.
Marmer

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trying to quit as well. but its a real addiction. its a disease i think. i think its quite hard to do so. but one day i will succeed.
Marmer

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
http://m.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/01/19/henry-rollins-the-column-are-you-collector-scum?showFullText=true

This one is so recognizable? Made me think about the idiotry im in also.
alexyorkalive

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have organically almost stopped buying records at all these days, whether or not you call it "collecting" anyway. I am currently going through a period of (re)discovering many old and great bands, particularly 80s dark pop and gothic.

I hardly buy anything at all these days due to family and house and work commitments (I would rather spend my money on something for them or the house or my business than a record, usually), so when I do buy something on that rare occasion, I don't mind splashing out on whatever the "best" edition is of it - one of the reasons I do this is because it will retain its value better than a less rare edition. At some point in the future my son/daughter/both will inherit my record collection, and if they want to sell it they can, and I hope they'll be able to get something decent for it. It's something I enjoy now a great deal but I also hope is an investment for them as well, to a very small degree.

I see nothing wrong at all with collecting for the sake of it, or for financial investment. Collectors help keep record labels alive and that can only be a good thing. Does anyone really give a shit what Rollins has to say any more? Who gives a toss what everyone wants to do. Do what you enjoy. If you want to spend money on records, do it, if you'd rather spend it on booze, do it.

I think as you get older your commitments and priorities change. When you're young your life is relatively simple, so go ahead and buy records and enjoy yourself when you can. It's very hard to justify spending £30 on a record when you have 2 hungry kids.
satanic ritual abuse

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:

The man is probably right, yet I'd like to be part of the 300 elite Boris fans.

I guess I'll stop when my expedits are full. I'm already starting to buy the same album twice or thrice...
Humus

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had those Boris records. Not that interesting in the end so I got rid of them.
manbeargoat

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've stopped for a while now (basically the past 3 years with a few purchases here and there) but not by choice due to being in college and having no money. Also just dropped a few grand on a trip to Spain. Unfortunately though this had led to me missing out on a few things I really want and will have to pay premium now for them (Reverend Bizarre LP reissues come to mind).

For me though I don't really get caught up in having different presses and editions. I just want 1 record for an album I like; don't really care if it's ultra kvlt first pressing or a reissue.
glwdrk

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy records when I can afford them, which is about twice a month or so. To me, it's not so much about "collecting" (as in owning rare stuff) but constantly buying new music that I enjoy. I like a lot of different genres, so chances are I will find something in a record store or at a market. I am not obsessing over record hunting, but the sheer act of digging through the crates gives me a lot of pleasure. My wife has very similar tastes, so there is always new music at our home because she buys "the other" stuff. Good girl!
In Solitude

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glwdrk wrote:
I buy records when I can afford them, which is about twice a month or so. To me, it's not so much about "collecting" (as in owning rare stuff) but constantly buying new music that I enjoy. I like a lot of different genres, so chances are I will find something in a record store or at a market. I am not obsessing over record hunting, but the sheer act of digging through the crates gives me a lot of pleasure.

Exactly how I am.
Carpathian_Florist

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collecting and building a collection are two different things. I will never be the "action man" who has to every single pressing in every color. It's pointless to me.
KŽjser ÷ccˇlt

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped buying records actively a couple of years back. It became too much of a quantity over quality thing and ate just too much money even though I tried to make "absolute" want lists and made clear budgets. It just seemed that I couldn't control my obsession (like when discovering some brilliant, new band it just usually overrided all the lists and budgets and there was always just too much stuff I "needed").

And I must say I'm happy about my choice.

What I miss most is the constant hunt. Countless hours spent going through grimy bargain bins at flea markets, mailing to obscure south american distros for shitty bootleg-tapes, being autistic about matrix-codes and barcodes. I usually still check the bargain bins but it just doesn't feel the same.

Of course I still buy some records (drooling over the Ulver-box already) but I'm no more a collector.

PS. this sounds way too much like a former drug addict story
wasteland

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO

morg wrote:
Fuck is end!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: