P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Ever tried to stop collecting?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Too Dark Park

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never tried to stop for good but for the last few years I have taken a break from buying records for approx. three months of the year from Nov. to the end of Jan. I find doing this helps me keep things in perspective.
passetiermes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold pretty much all the valuable albums that I had, no regrets. I can still perfectly understand the lure in collecting and people who want to own the first pressings. Already the 'chase' can be great, not to mention if you happen to find something, that has passed you by for years.
Ac!dM!nd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried ... failed ... then tried again ... this same result.
need a shrink
having more than 5000 records in collection seems has no sense, because all i do - just listening to new stuff, searching for another good albums. that's crazy, but i love it (still)
Uncolored

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

passetiermes wrote:
I sold pretty much all the valuable albums that I had, no regrets.

where your graf spee lp relocated? Wink

SatanHussein wrote:
my dream is to organise a funeral doom festival and sell my stockpiles of antidepressants at the merch stand
Orpheus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of a "collector" of lots of things; occult/antiquarian books, records, music equipment (both for recording and playback), parts for electronics projects I don't have the time to start etc... Due to that situation, having finite resources like anyone else I can't really spend money on multiple pressings of the same record or book. If I find a superior edition of a work I already own, the old one gets sold/traded. I only really buy anything when it's a "deal".
Basically I have too many interests for any single one to get out of hand. Mostly. Confused
I have to stop buying semi functional electronics equipment that I don't have time to fix. There's a backlog where for every one unit I repair, two get added to the que.
passetiermes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncolored wrote:
passetiermes wrote:
I sold pretty much all the valuable albums that I had, no regrets.

where your graf spee lp relocated? Wink

To Yosuke's expedit.
multicide

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold my collection after high school due to financial issues and gave up on collecting pretty much after. Now I only have a little over 100 cds compared to about 5-600 cds + vinyl which I use to own. It's a shame because at the time I thought I made good money but compared to today's prices, it'll be a pain in the ass to rebuy all of my favorite music.
siegeresist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past I have tried and tried again with no success because during those times the addiction was so strong and I also had fewer financial obligations at the time which allowed me to proceed to a collector's mindset. Getting all those "kvlt" albums to impress.....myself since most people are not into black metal or alternative music in general and therefore would not realize what they are looking at when seeing my music collection.

As of right now I have 630 CDs, two dozen tapes, and three dozen (approximately) vinyl records, of all sizes. That doesn't seem like much compared to some other people's collections out there but I actually want to listen to all of these music formats and get the full enjoyment out of them rather than have them collect dust.

I think that collecting music is an enjoyable hobby if you don't have much else going on in life. When you get married, have a family, and have to prioritize your life music collecting often takes the back burner. Also wanting to make bigger purchases (i.e. guns) can take some disposable income away from what you would have previously spent on music.

I am done collecting music obsessively and in mass like I used to. It is a fun hobby but at the end of the day it is just that, plus I had gotten to the point where I felt like I was essentially buying the same few albums over and over again, same themes, similar artwork, similar lyrical content, ect...
Piotr Sargnagel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to a much smaller house. Most of my records are stored in my father's house now. I have one expedit and whaddya know, the records in there are getting listened to WAY more and I am enjoying them just as much. This year I am buying the SABBAT boxset and am going to look for two or three other albums and that is it.
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I implemented a policy back in the 1990s of only buying something if I thought I'd listen to it for years, not months/weeks/days.

This cut out almost all of the hype-bands and flavor-of-the-week trends, in addition to some stuff that is musically good but I don't like and thus wouldn't listen to.

The result is a collection that very much reflects both the history of metal and a strong personal sense of what underground metal means.
throneofmight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservationist wrote:
I implemented a policy back in the 1990s of only buying something if I thought I'd listen to it for years, not months/weeks/days.

This cut out almost all of the hype-bands and flavor-of-the-week trends, in addition to some stuff that is musically good but I don't like and thus wouldn't listen to.

The result is a collection that very much reflects both the history of metal and a strong personal sense of what underground metal means.

Pretty much a similar approach in my case. I also make sure that (in rare cases) anything not complying with this standard will get off the window ASAP.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Eivittu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have thought about stopping couple of times but never bothered to try as I know I would just spend it on something else - can't save a dime. What I have seriously considered in last year or so is to cut down my purchases in half but have failed miserably in doing so. This year I thought about cutting down a little bit from the usual amount I spend but at least failed this month. Maybe next month then, right? Wink
GoatSe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been cutting down on the record buying, but I never really saw myself as a collector. Sure, I do buy records, and I think my closest friends and my girlfriend (people not into metal or even music for that matter) see me as a collector. Even so, I usually don't buy the same album as both CD and LP. There are, of course, some exeptions. For some reason I have some Iron Maiden records and some random black metal albums on both formats. But all in all I think I own maybe 600 cd's, some 60 LP's and maybe 35 tapes, so I have nothing compared to the real collectors and music consumers around here. Even so, I find myself in a state of life where I simply don't have the time to listen to music for more than max. 2 hours a day (including when I'm on the go, cause I put some of the cd's on my iPod). Hence, there is no point in buying more and more records. But I guess the only point in collecting is either to make money or just please yourself.

Sure, if I had unlimited money I would buy all kinds of shit. But in life you sometimes have to choose between metal records or other stuff.
Shiru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoatSe wrote:

Sure, if I had unlimited money I would buy all kinds of shit. But in life you sometimes have to choose between metal records or other stuff.

actually not, even if i try to put "quality limit" for myself higher, and try not do random, or too fast buying, but still from time to time i end having useless releases Laughing

so if i would have unlimited money i still wouldnt get everything to dont waste time/space
Chuck W.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservationist wrote:

I've been following your writing on and off over the years and have found myself buying a lot of stuff you speak highly of. I'd advise anyone to dig into this guy's writings to build a pitch perfect old school essential collection.

I'm selling a shitload of records and CDs from my collection http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44647
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: