P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Ever tried to stop collecting?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GHOAT

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

la_ciudad_podrida wrote:
GHOAT wrote:
VHS 'collectors' are the fucking worst, buying the shittiest bullshit movies just because VHS is dead and they feel like they need to rescue this shit from the dumpster. And I say this being a VHS fan myself, I buy them all the time when it's something I really want.

I buy a lot of VHS, even shit ones sometimes because It will at least give me something to watch. I dont have cable set up in here and it can get pretty boring if I have a day off or whatever. Most VHS tapes at places like salvation army or savers are .50 to 1$.

I hear ya, and that's cool. But seeing dudes fucking wig out over sealed copies of literal HORSESHIT drives me crazy haha.
Shiru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frostjunkie wrote:
Really, really slowed down this past year, or half year... Mostly thanks to the shipping costs, as any fellow Canadians will know... So many times I almost hit the checkout button but just couldn't do it after seeing that damn shipping cost.

I've basically accepted it now and don't even bother looking anymore because I know it's going to be insane, kind of felt like how I imagine withdrawal would feel, haha.

hmmm actuallyt have feeling that i am slowing down soon(though i have it for a couple years at least).. i mostly divide records to: Newer ones - that out short while ago maybe like within 10 years or less. and classic ones.
Basiclyt newer ones fun to buy cause you kinda live now ,and it is enjoyable feeling to get something new.. with classic ones, them older old, and you can get them later, or now if there is some really amazing deal..
So with newer ones, there is left less and less wantes, so i guess i will be done, of course there is always something new out, but with time i feel like i need less and less new releases, dont know maybe music become worse, or i become more picky, but thats it.
Older stuff i can look for it anytime, i dont think it will go more pricy then now, and majority of it..
and yep beside that i collect one label discography(though not all possible versions), but it is again not many hungred releases, even if few of them cost pretty much those days Wink
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way I will ever stop collecting music. It is absolutely my favorite thing on earth. But I believe in ruthlessly culling the herd. There is always some small amount of music in my collection that I just don't want. Everytime I flip past those records in the stacks I can't stop thinking about getting them the hell out of my house. Makes room for the new.

A lot of people seem to get stressed by the whole rat race of keeping up with every new release. Really though, you don't need to worry about crap like that. You can always find a record if you really want it. If it is actually that important to you later on you'll find it.

Last edited by GoldenBull on Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
mlotek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put it all on the credit card , I don't care, gonna get what I want now, but also will look/wait for deals if possible (so I can get even more demo tapes/records)
why?

There's No Tomorrow.

I could be dead any second and good luck to credit card companies/banks that want to collect then.

(it was once said, "those with the most toys wins", well I won't, I will never buy complete discographies of every band I like, the way I used to in the past .
.. but I do feel a lot happier being able to pull out a tape or LP and hear something NOW without waiting & wishing somebody would upload it).

The outrageous shipping costs also stopped me many, many times from clicking the "Pay Now" button, so now, I try to either only get a couple things for combined shipping, or go crazy and get everything for a whopper of a bill. Fuck it all. I don't do drugs, but have an addiction(s).
Laughing
mlotek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goatanizer wrote:
eighthplague wrote:
GHOAT wrote:
As for records, I buy what I want, and I try not to buy/collect so much because I literally have 100s of records I have not listened to yet. These faggots whining and complaining about pressing numbers, colors, editions, etc... BEYOND FOREVER FUCK OFF

How is owning hundreds of records you've never even listened to any less pathetic than people who are obsessed with pressing info? Neither of you are listening to it- you're buying shit for the sake of buying shit, while they are buying shit for the sake of autistic details. You're both fucked in the head.

I listen records not all the day ,not every day! I don't purchase for the sake to fill my walls of useless things. But I can not but be disgusted by about all this cerebral masturbation & mental disorder on neverending discussions,polemics,disputes,issues on die hard ultra rare mega editions ,8 picture discs for two demos recorded, die hard box-set in recycled cardboard or done in carpathian wood with the same shit re-recorded + material previously available + bonus toilet "special" paper with new artwork + extra of shirts, pants ,socks, condoms, tablecloths, towels, etc : donated exclusively by the band of the moment to their most loayal fans with so much love... You seem seriously retarded!
You broke the balls!

SOMEDAY, they will get listened to.
they are saved for a rainy day .
asmael LeBouc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an addiction of course and one that seems endless given all the killer stuffs that are released every year.

I'm not a "true" collector myself as I only buy 1 copy of 1 release i want.
If I really like the band I'll try to get the die hard that's about it.
Otherwise I just want a regular cheaper copy.

There are about a dozen bands I'm really collecting in the sense that I seek all their releases, from demos to tshirts to patches. But I'll NEVER buy multiple versions of the same release.
And I'll never spend a 3-digits figure on any release.

Or just MAYBE for the WORMPHLEGM DEMO TAPE which is my absolute Top Want... Saw one on Ebay 2 years ago and was ready to spend 120E on it

My wantlist is very short. I dont care for 1st presses. Like many I just want a vinyl version of some classics. Reissues are perfect.

As I said there are so many new releases to get... So expensive all of it, time consuming and... Freaking exhilarating.

"The hunt... The chase... That's what I love!"

I like it when all of a sudden YOU NEED THAT ALBUM ON VINYL (or that demo tape from that new band) and you seek it like crazy at 2 a.m. Browsing through 40 pages of Google and revisiting tiny obscure distros in your bookmark...
That click: "fuck I want it, shit I GOTTA have it..." Frantic monomaniac obssessive mode ON.

TRADE / WANT LIST ! ! ! :
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12006/
Good sellers/traders: ChapelOfDoom, thetrueevil/ GoldenBull, Hobophobic, NWN PROD
Luxixul Sumering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asmael LeBouc wrote:
It is an addiction of course and one that seems endless given all the killer stuffs that are released every year.

I'm not a "true" collector myself as I only buy 1 copy of 1 release i want.
If I really like the band I'll try to get the die hard that's about it.
Otherwise I just want a regular cheaper copy.

There are about a dozen bands I'm really collecting in the sense that I seek all their releases, from demos to tshirts to patches. But I'll NEVER buy multiple versions of the same release.
And I'll never spend a 3-digits figure on any release.

Or just MAYBE for the WORMPHLEGM DEMO TAPE which is my absolute Top Want... Saw one on Ebay 2 years ago and was ready to spend 120E on it

My wantlist is very short. I dont care for 1st presses. Like many I just want a vinyl version of some classics. Reissues are perfect.

As I said there are so many new releases to get... So expensive all of it, time consuming and... Freaking exhilarating.

"The hunt... The chase... That's what I love!"

I like it when all of a sudden YOU NEED THAT ALBUM ON VINYL (or that demo tape from that new band) and you seek it like crazy at 2 a.m. Browsing through 40 pages of Google and revisiting tiny obscure distros in your bookmark...
That click: "fuck I want it, shit I GOTTA have it..." Frantic monomaniac obssessive mode ON.

That doom band is fucking powerful stuff. I been wanting to see that on tape but can't find it anywhere. 120E fuck!! I honestly didn't expect a high price, is that what it went for? Can't ever forget those crazy long song titles. Definitely spaced out on this band until you mentioned it just now...
Valgrinder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I bought just two CD's, zero LP's and did two or three trades. It was just because needed all my money for living.

After first six month or so it didn't feel bad, even when you noticed that some of your favourite bands (fex CDG) released new LP's that you need to fullfill your collection. And after that I didnt even wanted to buy anything, even if I had opportunity and some extra money.
satanic ritual abuse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIVERGENTSERIES wrote:
goatmolestor wrote:
satanic ritual abuse wrote:
DIVERGENTSERIES wrote:

I also make tape mixes for friends in remote places so the desire to collect and share is perpetual.

Let's set up a mixtape trade circle here, seriously!

This is actually a really good idea, more so as I'm well and truly out of the loop when it comes to a lot of new bands and forgotten gems

Awesome. I don't know how much or how little you all have heard, but it could be thematic. I know nothing about French death metal or Danish heavy metal for example and would like.

I have about 3 or 4 French death metal records and no Danish heavy metal in my collection. But I'd be willing to tape all those recent Ildjarn reissues for example.
mithrandir

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully this year some...
El Feroce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collecting records is similar to a sickness, and I'm sick.

Of course, I listen to what I buy, and buying only records that I like, old and new.

But I pick an end: I will try to stop when I reached the 1000 unit of death metal albums, cd format.

And last, don' t forget:

"If you remember the number of records you own, they are too few." (anonimous)
vermin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5-10 years ago, any day when the postman walked by my house without dropping off new music would be a source of anger and frustration.

In 2013 I think maybe I bought 5 CDs total. It wasn't even conscious... it simply happened this way. *shrug*
Weltering in Blood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you enjoy it and can afford it, why would you want to stop? These things only become a "problem" when you no longer enjoy it or can't afford it but you keep doing it.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever watch those old horror films about covens and cults?
Once you are in, there is no getting out... even in death you are owned!

Now with options of ashes being pressed into the vinyl, upon your demise every other forum member can add you personally to their desperate collections. There is no way to ever leave the torment, the cult, the analog collecting fervor now!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: