P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Ever tried to stop collecting?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gravelander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Ever tried to stop collecting? Reply with quote

In the last time I have to say I'm going deeper and deeper into these collecting stuff.

buying more and more
buying also more unknown bands
buying stuff just because of release versions/limitations
and so on...

ok I'm still able to listen to the records at least once and I do also have the time, money and space to hoard the stuff. I do also have the understanding of my gf and I did also have the possiblities to start an own label a short time ago. (which is also getting me deeper into these collecting stuff).

but there's a question in my mind that is asking more and more often:
where's the finish with all this stuff? is it just collecting for collecting issues? would it be frustrating to stop collecting after hunting so much complete collections and seeing new releases getting out in the future?
but also: what would did you do without/after collecting? where would I invest my money? (well there are surely some things, but never That much as I spent for records).
or is it easily comparable to an ex-gf that you just have to get over with?

So I'm curious and am sure here are people with similar experiences.
Did some of you tried the way of quitting collecting? Is it an all or nothing-decision? What about a collection that is getting older and older and not getting 'updated' anymore - still worth to own or is it losing its attraction?

well in my case it seems to have attributes of an addiction. is it always better to quit 'addictions' or is it alright if the normal life doesn't get affected and if there are only some 'philosophical' questions?
Necrosadist
banned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped collecting 8 months ago since I own all the classicks I want.
AOD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't see me as a collector, but a fan and, last but not least, a listener. I buy stuff that I like and if I dislike some records, I sell them.
I don't care about complete discographies...if a band releases 10 albums and I like only 7, I will skip the other 3 albums...but I can become very obsessive when I really worship a band...so I am hunting for bootlegs and rehearsal stuff.
Sometimes I am in the mood to clean out my collection from stuff I bough in LP packages 20 years ago. Of course, I have a huge collection, but I try to keep it as big as it is. I always sell some stuff to buy new stuff...but there are many collectors out there who simply buy every colour of each album they like...this seems to be very strange...I always prefer black vinyl and sometimes I buy CDs...not the format is the important thing, but the music itself I think.

Last edited by AOD on Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Weltering in Blood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut down a LOT on what I spend a month. Before it was up around €400/€500 a month, now it's down to €150 and in a really "bad" month it's €200. TBH my Want list hasn't really grown in awhile and most of the stuff is just me looking for better condition copies of stuff I already have. Unless it's a great deal I'll probably not buy them again though.

I'm happy with the records I have. Sold all the shit I never listen to and now I just have 3-400 essentials.
PeterVenkman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quitting smoking was way easier.
Albin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried, succeeded and happy.
skeletor666

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have cut down a lot .now im only after cds i missed from years back and even then im taking it handy .

staying away from the internet really helps .
Naekrospavvn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albin wrote:
Tried, succeeded and happy.

Have you sold everything?
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=756867#756867
DIVERGENTSERIES

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necrosadist wrote:
I stopped collecting 8 months ago since I own all the classicks I want.

Yeah, I can relate...it's just that there are so many future classic records being released!

I also make tape mixes for friends in remote places so the desire to collect and share is perpetual.
AOD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking for 2 or 3 records for my collection, then it is finished. Of course, I have to patient, but in some years I will get them surely.
dangerass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ignore hype and only buy what you like, purchasing music is a much more rewarding and healthy endeavor. Getting caught up in limited pressings and a "first press only" mentality doesn't help. Most of the re-issues I have sound great to my ears and that's good enough for me.
AOD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the same. It never must be a first press when I can get a proper reissue for a lower price with the same music and sound on it. Of course, there are some original pressings I really like, but for some other releases I don't really care. I really love to listen music from vinyl and if it is pressed without any flaws, it is just fine for me.
Sometimes the reissues sound better than the original ones, but this is another issue...
mucupurulent cuntkiller

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now after scoring anything I ask to myself DO I really need that? and the answer most of the times is NO, since I own almost everything that I really want to have and most of the times new albums that are great are just clones, or things that I already listened on other recordings 10 years ago. Now I´m just focused on new releases from my fave bands and some re-reléase from time to time.
Sacrilege

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should I stop?

It's not a problem for me or never was, because I'm more into trading anyway, and I use to buy only a few carefully selected releases I really NEED to have.
Any mediocre releases - or any stuff below that - won't have a place in my collection. Quality over quantity. Don't care too much about pressings or limitations either.
satanic ritual abuse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to stop once a month, when my credit card bill arrives Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: