P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

US users: Overseas shipping costs?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xasthur1349

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: US users: Overseas shipping costs? Reply with quote

I sent a vinyl abroad for the first time today and the US Postal Service shipping was an eye popping $23. No special add ons were taken, I just put the vinyl in a vinyl sized cardboard box (https://ablepackaging.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/vynal-mailer-300x225.jpg).

The price was higher than the actual value of the item being shipped in this case and I'm curious to know how other US-based sellers / traders send their larger items (ex. LPs or clothing) abroad.

Thanks
WrestInPiss

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's been the typical cost for shipping overseas for some time now, welcome to the wonderful world of international mail, you're a bit late to the party it seems.
Ough

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's normal
ratoni

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds about right. Overseas shipping sucks. The worst part is that you pack it up, pay the costs and then just cross your fingers that it actually arrives and if it does it hopefully arrives without damage.
invinCIBility

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure private companies charge even more...

Pray that you never exceed the 4 pound mark, cause then you're looking at about $80
TotalKhaos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 vinyl to almost any place overseas is $22.50. The price might change depending on packaging (an extra piece of cardboard for protection, etc.) And sometimes the destination can alter the exact amount.
thetruekvasirsblood

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I prefer to deal to USA customers - unless it's a really rare item the customer will get a shitty attitude and attempt to argue the shipping price.

My distro thread! Altare / Iron Bonehead Update (2/21/2017)
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even to Canada shipping for a single LP can be $18 - and that's the ACTUAL shipping cost not the $25 the discogs dicks quote to pad their fees.

Which, is why I no longer buy kvlt vinyls from the US.
xasthur1349

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, interesting. How then, in your collective experience, have you gone about unloading shirts and LP's? Have you all traditionally just sold / traded with US-based residents only... sold outside festivals? The shipping cost seems high enough where the prospects of recouping cost on items sold overseas is slim (unless we are to charge Blasphemous_Lust kind of prices).

I'm aware that I have the option to go and get a quote on the items from our local record store, but are there specific stores that will get you better pricing (ex. records stores specializing in metal in bigger cities, etc.)?

At these prices, I could take one of those cheapass flights to Helsinki, sell from there and enjoy my holiday, and still come out ahead rather than paying the cost of shipping 20-25 LPs.
TEKWRX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I shipped the Absu - Sun Of Tiphareth Crypt box set to Sweden form the US, it was $56 Crying or Very sad

That was USPS Priority Mail, there was no option to send any standard service. I guess it varies by country. I think in the future I will check out if DHL makes sense.
caligulasremains

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC you cant do DHL feasibly as a private/personal seller. you have to sign up as a business and pay them monthly, etc.
it's a whole big thing. only worth it if you are selling upwards 10 items a week, but for selling stuff out of one's personal collection... from what i remember it's not feasible.

anyway there was no first-class postage to Sweden..? i haven't mailed anything to Sweden since 2014 but... that's shocking to me because I always used first-class before.
Prostata

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how those called collectors-choice on discogs can ship 1 lp from USA to Norway for 6.99. It hasn't arrived yet though, has taken a month now.
thetruekvasirsblood

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prostata wrote:
I wonder how those called collectors-choice on discogs can ship 1 lp from USA to Norway for 6.99. It hasn't arrived yet though, has taken a month now.

If it was high value item, they likely ate into part of the sale price to ship it cheaply. I would assume it's just being held up in customs.

My distro thread! Altare / Iron Bonehead Update (2/21/2017)
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipping is a Cunt.

Bound to end up on numerous distro shirts eventually as the phrase catches on.
Bostitch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beeing located on the other Side of the Ocean, i can clearly say that Europeans are fucked completely when it comes to order Vinyl & Tapes from United States as the Relations in ShippingCost from US to EU became absolutely crazy Shit, of course this IS NOT the US Sellerīs Fault NOR the Fault of the Euroboy Wink

!! Unfortunately it became nearly impossible to support US Artists, Bands, Labels, Distros from EU Side & directly because of this huge Problem!! This heavy Development is a Problem for the Metal Underground International as only BIG PLAYERS can buy themselves cheaper Shipcosts for their Firm at DHL and making a Deal with em.
the smalller ones or Artists labels Distros & DIY canīt provide this Service.

!! So from this Side its more than ridiculous when an EU-Maniac even choose to bite in this Bullet and chooses to order from a US Artist, DiY Label or whatever and they donīt even ship to EU, because of whatever Elite Shit or whatever stupid Ideas!
Shipping between US and EU is very safe so please Overkvlt-US-Sellers donīt cut the EU-Supporters off for nothing!

As mentioned in another Thread it costs 6,50€/8,00$ US-Dollars to ship 0-500g Vinyl registered tracked to US, up to 1000g Vinyl its 9,80€/12,00 US-Dollars registered tracked.
i could send 5-6 Tapes to US for 8$ registered tracked, but i have to pay 13$-18$ for ONE SINGLE Tape from US to EU.

I m so glad Canada exists as they have great Black Metal and the ShippingCosts are a Dream come true compared to fucking US Postal Services.

Thatīs the Reason, why each Euroboy can only laugh out lout as every second Question in this Forum is:
``Any US-Distro carrying this??
Normally it should be īīAny EU-Distro carrying this, besides..?"

Unfortunately it seems the Postal Services are to blame for this sad Development getting futher & heavier..

!! A short View in the Future:
Only BIG Players left, who carry everything. There are already many People out there who love to buy only and always from only one big Distro, because its so easy and he carries so much and Shipment is so super-quickly, what is the most important nowadays in the Metal Biz and for Customers, to receive a fuckin Amazon Service.

Last edited by Bostitch on Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: