P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

BEST RECORDS OF 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DIVERGENTSERIES

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

End of List of Year of List

Band of Buriers – Filth (Honorable Mention)
Folk. Now that you’re done reading that, go listen to this and know/understand that it stacks up. Pay attention to the words. They’re breathing, living, and visceral. Folk. If you hate this word, then Filth can be your revenge. No college hippie, bright eyed obtuse dogshit passages present here. The arrangements and words are present all at once and it will take a few listens to be able to process the vision of James P Honey and his comrades.

Savages – Silence Yourself LP (Honorable Mention)
This might be an overhyped band depending on who you are, but it really hits the spot. Post-punk riffs, scattered and frantic vocals, and a nice sort of warm accusatory tone that prevails throughout the entire release. Save for one track, the entire thing is assembled well and worthy of repeated listens for the particular flare these ladies bring to the table. It’s a decent enough mix - channeling Joy Division represents only10% of their sound, 1% is devoted hipster overconfidence (whatever that’s worth) and the other 89% to the powerful rasp of genuine rage, anxiety, and urgency that shines through on this album.

Ruins of Beverast – Blood Vaults (Honorable Mention)
The skill and sincerity of the one dude, Alexander Von Meilenwald who plays as Ruins Of Beverast is apparent. Thematically well-thought out and lacking any of the low hanging Satanic fruit, this is a specimen of what a wonderful marriage death and black metal can be. I appreciate the fact that Von Meilenwald cuts in samples to push along the album. It’s well placed garnish to this slab - there are no choice cuts here and this blazes on without overstaying its welcome, but giving you enough time to understand that this disturbing narrative could very well be brandished as a compelling literary work. While the album plays it a little safer than his previous works and at times underpaces itself, it’s a definite stand out.

Iron Lung – White Glove Test (with companion disk) (Honorable Mention)

I don’t listen to much hardcore right now because I am old and I forgot what I was supposed to be doing with my life instead of being punk, but this album is a good reminder. In my pre-retirement years (aka my thirties), I’m also tickled that they included a noise disc with this sprawling mass of powerviolence; the two disks are played together in the same way Neurosis/Tribes of Neurot and will make you senile with rage. The album is consistent with the band’s outlook on life and general sonic attitude – blast away and spend special moments mired in your own physical failure.

Khlyst K Ahlan – Refuge of Dreams (Honorable Mention)
The debut release from my colleague is perhaps but another foray into the already crowded world of beat making. But Mr. K Ahlan effortlessly crushes the lo-fi industrial tinged beat game where slightly seasoned producers are scratching their heads at the interesting sample choices and non-conventional sequencing of songs. That’s because the specialness of this release is due to the fact that Khlyst K Ahlan is largely an outsider to this artform, and so it follows that he brings a refreshing perspective. A big part of what he does is utilize, in a slightly similar way that lean drenched trap music does which gives a few tracks a incidental chopped and screwed sound, pitch changed vocal samples. A simple but unique packaging design (super limited) compliments the aesthetic.

Feend – Secrets (Honorable Mention)
A very syrupy release with crusty drums and OP-1 synth layers, Secrets will remain lost amongst most people simply because part of the appeal of new wave of lo-fi drum oriented music is to remain as underground as its sounds. What makes this release compelling to me is that it creeps along stealthily and curtails any occult obviousness while still remaining unsettling. The sounds are muddy but rich like a silty river of blood emptying out of a cadaver. The oblique and hazy approach to this style is appreciated, but also one that at times lacks definition to propel this to being a favorite.

Rude – Haunted DEMO 2013 (Honorable Mention)
This playful offering of California Bay Area death metal is a straight-forward affair. The members all wear their influences on their sleeves and pay homage to the old school instead of impersonating it or mocking it up the way doom metal bands from Portland, OR posture with shitty looking mink stoles, skulls and occult candles. These 5 tracks push on with feral voracity and are so distinct that one can’t help but wonder what their debut proper full length could expand upon (besides the recording – the drums in particular are the only drawback).

Trepanerringsritualen – Judas Goat 7” (SINGLE) (Honorable Mention)

I keep forgetting what the B-side is. I just remember that it doesn’t have the singed death industrial head-nodding drum arrangement and power-electronics vocals. But I remember it being good. And one day I’ll listen to it again, but I just can’t get this beat out of my head even though it goes on for just a hair too long. This guy’s heavy-handed Christ hating aesthetic is also a little for me at times, but it’s very easy to look past. The guy is pissed. The just released Deathstench/Trepanerringsritualen collaboration is on its way to my house and also has a potential to be year-end favorite. We’ll see.

Column of Heaven/Radioactive Vomit split 7” (Honorable Mention)
Look strange discomforting common ground both tracks share which might include punk affectations of hatred and relentless power. I don’t really know though. The cavernousness that the two bands share is differentiated by CoH’s harsh noise proclivities and industrial post-powerviolence weigh and Radioactive Vomit’s take treading low road of bestial black metal Canadians are fond of these days. It works well together and a nice end of the year bookend to CoH’s occult, limited merch extravaganza.
_____

Donato Dozzy – 200 EP
Drums, pingy synths, savage noises? Yes, it’s minimal gold. Paper grading bliss all the way through!

Dreamdecay – N V N V N V
This hamburger of a band brings the heavy buns of noise rock and combines it with a Jerque sound that intellectually addresses the problems with thinking of things as single entities. What a blast of rawness! The tempeh drums crush, the pickled vocals are awesome, and the condiments of guitar laceration finish the job. Swans Filth Era comparions are lobbed around liberally like extra ketchup, but really this thing just sits well for me. Having had the pleasure to see them live, I really felt like gorging myself again and again.

Wulkanaz – Paurpura Fraeovibokos
My friends think I am lame for liking blackened trash can garaged metal, but they’re just making sure I haven’t totally lost it yet. Guess again, dudes! This is a breath of fresh air that is the Burzum bomb shelter of staleness that is most black metal. Wulkanaz plays garbage can drums, toy guitar riffs, and squishy vocals that are Sweden’s answer to the question of “what really is lo-fi outside of Darkthrone”. Or not, maybe not, because the voice you’re hearing is not in touch with anything I know about…these vocals screech along erratically and disturbingly. German heathenism? Super occult shit? Who cares? The LP comes with illustrations so you can brag to your Mgla worshipping homies about high lo-fi standards.

Broadcast – Berberian Sound Studio
After we’ve shed our last tear for Trish Keenan (get over it, dudes), we are left with a band that is still searching in the dark for new sounds but trying to keep it together. After a few listens, I see that these pieces and sketches are actually very cohesive but also adhesive to the film that it soundtracks. And when you’re done getting lost, you can remember that all who search in the darkness are not lost, they’ve just found their way to the ripeness that is moving on. Lacking any standout tracks, the library-record feel is punishing because of how beautifully nuanced it is in bringing it all together in the spirit of collaboration of sound and image – which in my opinion/for me is the highest standard of realizing art of this kind – and they do so spectacularly.

Satan – Life Sentence (BEST LP)
Comeback album of the year? Well, Satan currently play NWOBHM like they just got out of the studio after recording their awesome 1983 debut Court In The Act. In fact, the thirty-year gap between releases has done nothing to stop the assault. In fact, if you listen to Court in the Act and then listen to Life Sentence, prepare to be reduced to an unworthy puddle. This record soars with ripping melodies and awesome vocals. I can’t stop listening to this. A great recording to boot with less reverb and slightly more drum sound compression, this album is not a comeback, it’s a kick in the face to all the garbage metal, like melodic AOR/melodic heavy bands who tend to open up for Fates Warning and fucking suck. So while I’m admittedly new to Satan, I have no reservations about making this my favorite LP of the year.

Burial – Rival Dealer
It shouldn’t be any surprise I like this: a sprawling post-HouseDubstep/etc. and decidedly multifaceted LP of an EP that throughout its twists and turns, it keeps bringing you back to Burial’s masterful skill at presenting similar sounds in such gloriously different ways. The title track fizzles in with minced beats, swirling vocals, and then the pace is puzzled back together with some repose on the glossy and sparse arrangements of Come Down to Us and the faster paced Hiders–and the onlookers are gawking. How does Burial still raise eyebrows after Untrue? This is not minimal but a condensed can of frenzied manic beat crafting. The pauses are appreciated and necessary. The real treat is the ethereal vocals which dance and dart through the tracks creating an overall longing for more. It’s a necessary re-listen to it and pick out the nuances you missed.

Haxan Cloak – Excavations
Excavations is everything I wanted it to be. I did not want to hear the poor drum choices on the Latitudes release, I did not want to see upside-down crosses (played out), I did not want to the stringing of needless and superfluous sounds, but I did want more bass.. Merry Christmas, dude finally got his shit together as far as I’m concerned. The sprawl of this release should rattle eyebrow piercings loose and the depth with which most tracks saunter along warrant an occasional full body head nod if you’re listening to it on the right speakers – all I wanted was bass bliss and here it is. Pitchdork and I share this as one of our year-end favorites which proves that it’s not a one-off hipster beat science outlier. Hope the next one thuds just as hard.

Desolate Shrine - The Sanctum Of Human Darkness LP

I’ve been on a death metal kick, lately because I prefer the clarity of drums, the type of vocals preferential to black metal, and the spirit crushing riffing which is usually ugly and brick hurling inducing. Desolate Shrine serve it all up unflashingly and without any reverb abuse that some other OSDM bands are cutting their product with. Very satisfying listen, it makes me hopeful in digging around for similar releases but knowing that it’s not likely I’ll stumble across anything as solid as this. The funny thing is that Desolate Shrine is not particularly innovative which makes it more like comfort ford that bites back…noted particularly is the stalwart non-triggered drumming that proficiently punishes each song with well-placed fills all throughout.

Diat – Everyday 7” (SINGLE)
The curators at Iron Lung Records know the deal. Not crushing d-beat weirdo hardcore, Diat represents another interesting and necessary multi-dimensional releases on the label. Post-punk, German, molasses vocals, and typical driving basslines. Totally ruling, 100%. Also their logo and aesthetic rules. I picked this only after thinking of an end of the year list because it dawned on me that I like dancing at shows sometimes. In waiting for a full length, I’ll just play this and their previous 7” (also) on Iron Lung records back to back to back to back.

Great Reissues/Compilations:

Dissection – Storm of the Light’s Bane Picture Disc LP
Stormwitch – Walpurgis Night/Tales of Terror Picture Disc LP
Ulver – Svidd Neger LP
Deathpile – G.R. Vinyl release, LP
Traitor’s Gate – Devil Takes the High Road
Deep Wound – Deep Wound 7”
Timeghoul – Discography 2XLP
Alberich – Machine Gun Nest: Cassette Works Vol. 0 LP
GZA – Liquid Swords/instrumentals/chess set 4XLP
mlotek

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jealous of almost everybody's lists, as I probably have not even heard 25% of it yet, and what I have, still forgot to buy on the recent 40% sale, (now on the future buy list) but at least I ordered Prosanctus Inferi
Buttcam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOP 5!

1. Nordvrede-Monument Viktoria
Album of the year in my eyes! This band is so underrated. One of the very few Norwegian bands worthy of attention. Massive and aggressive black metal blended with some brilliantly arranged surprises and grooves. Not yet listened much to the new one "State of the Art" as it haven't arrived here yet.. Huge expectations, the promos taken into account.

2. Enshadowed-Magic Chaos Psychedelia
Excellent album! Living up to its title. Fucking dark and atmospheric. Very good sound, would like to especially mention the slow parts.

3. Horna - Askel Lähempänä Saatanaa
Horna rarely fails. Grim finnish blackness with a nice touch of grandeur in between. Nearly flawless, if you're into the kings of classic Finnish black metal.

4. Arfsynd - Hesychia.
In between all the SHIT coming from Sweden these days, there are also a couple of gems. THIS is definately one of them. Splendid, dark album with a good, sort of desperate vocal.

5. Christicide - Upheaval of the Soul
YES! A new band to me this year. A massively positive acquaintance. Reminds me a bit about old Norwegian band Kvist, partly because of the vocals. More harsh sound though. Splendid and diverse album.
ALCHAMESTE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2013 favorites :
# 1 : CULTES DES GHOULES "Henbane"
# 2 : GRAVE MIASMA "Odori sepulcrorum"
# 3 : PLAGA "Magia gwiezdnej entropii"

...and :
- ABYSMAL GRIEF "Feretri"
- AUTOPSY "The headless ritual"
- BLACK OATH "Ov Qliphoth and Darkness"
- CSEJTHE "Réminiscence"
- DARKTHRONE "The Underground Resistance"
- IMPIOUS BAPTISM "Wrath of the apex predator"
- MERCYLESS "Unholy black splendor"
- MISANTHROPE "Ænigma Mystica" (Yes, I like it ; I am French... Fukk you !)
- MONARQUE "Lys Noir"
- PROFANATICA "Thy kingdom cum"
- PROTECTOR "Reanimated Homunculus"
- SACRIPHYX "The Western front"
- SARTEGOS "As fontes do negrume"
- SET "Upheaval of unholy darkness"
- SICKRITES "Irreverent Death Megaliths"
- SINISTROUS DIABOLUS "Total Doom // Desecration"
- SORCERY "Arrival at six"
- TRIBULATION "The formulas of Death"
- URFAUST "Trúbadóirí ólta an diabhail" Live

Demos & EPs :
- ANCIENT CRYPTS "Devoured by serpents" Demo
- ARNAUT PAVLE "Arnaut Pavle" Demo
- BLACK STENCH / MALÉFICES "Split" Demo
- BÖLZER "Aura" EP
- DROWNED "Rehearsal Demo 12/2012" Demo
- DRUID LORD "Baron Blood" EP
- EPHEMER "Notre honneur immortel" Demo
- FUNERARY BELL "Horrific transCosmic overture" Demo
- INFINITUM OBSCURE "The luminous black" MCD
- MALÉFICES "Asarlai" Demo
- MASTER'S HAMMER "Poletíme komínem" / BLACKOSH "Corrterrigena" Split EP
- MORTEM "Liquefied blood of the saints" / PENTACLE "Five candles burning red" Split EP
- SEPULCHRAL TEMPLE "Sepulchral Temple" EP
- TOMBEAU "Méphistophallique" Demo
- URFAUST "Die erste levitation" Single EP

Re-editions & Compilations :
- ABSU "The sun of Tiphareth" & "The third storm of Cythraul" LP BoxSet (The Crypt)
- AETERNUS "Dark sorcery / Walk my path" LP (Kyrck)
- CRUCIFIER "Coffins through time... A mourning in Nazareth" DLP (Iron Bonehead)
- DISMA "Towards the Megalith" DLP + EP (Doomentia)
- HATESPAWN "Abyssic conquerors" LP (Sepulchral Voice)
- MARE "Spheres like Death / Throne of the thirteenth witch" LP (Terratur Possessions)
- MASTER'S HAMMER "Demos" Triple CD (Despite the quite disapointing sound on some tracks)
- MUTILATED "In memoriam" DLP + EP & "Psychodeath lunatics" LP (Triumph Ov Death)
- NECROS CHRISTOS "One in Darkness Two in Damnation Three in Death" LP BoxSet (Sepulchral Voice)
- PROPHECY "Heathen years" CD (Exu Rei)
- TORMENTOR "The seventh day of doom" LP & "Anno domini" LP (Despite the ridiculously expensive price)
- TREBLINKA "Shrine of the pentagram" LP BoxSet (Century Media)
- VOID MEDITATION CULT "Sulfurous prayers of Blight and Darkness" LP (Hells Headbangers)
necrogoatworship666

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mare

Ancient records

Abigor
captainretardo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurian + Necrowretch are the best IMO. Plenty of other good ones, but I have listened to+enjoyed those two the most by far.
Vidar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bilskirnir - Wotan Redivivus
Bizarre Uproar - Perverse Bizarre Humiliation
Goatmoon - Tahdon Riemuvoitto
Goatmoon / Bizarre Uproar - Appetite for Holocaust
Horna - Askel Lähempänä Saatanaa
Inquisition - Obscure Verses for the Multiverse
Jaakko Vanhala - Here Be Lions
Pyhä Kuolema - Kevättuulisormi
Sick Seed - Helsingin Synagogat
holy ghost

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIVERGENTSERIES wrote:
Iron Lung – White Glove Test (with companion disk) (Honorable Mention)[/b]
I don’t listen to much hardcore right now because I am old and I forgot what I was supposed to be doing with my life instead of being punk, but this album is a good reminder. In my pre-retirement years (aka my thirties), I’m also tickled that they included a noise disc with this sprawling mass of powerviolence; the two disks are played together in the same way Neurosis/Tribes of Neurot and will make you senile with rage. The album is consistent with the band’s outlook on life and general sonic attitude – blast away and spend special moments mired in your own physical failure.

Great writing throughout but I especially liked this one. I'm in the same boat, not listened to much hardcore in the last decade but really enjoyed this.
LuiSlayer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just received Zemial's "Nykta" and that is the best album of 2013 for me.
So long, Sacriphyx...

Last edited by LuiSlayer on Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
In Solitude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIVERGENTSERIES wrote:
Band of Buriers – Filth (Honorable Mention)
Folk. Now that you’re done reading that, go listen to this and know/understand that it stacks up. Pay attention to the words. They’re breathing, living, and visceral. Folk. If you hate this word, then Filth can be your revenge. No college hippie, bright eyed obtuse dogshit passages present here. The arrangements and words are present all at once and it will take a few listens to be able to process the vision of James P Honey and his comrades.

Savages – Silence Yourself LP (Honorable Mention)
This might be an overhyped band depending on who you are, but it really hits the spot. Post-punk riffs, scattered and frantic vocals, and a nice sort of warm accusatory tone that prevails throughout the entire release. Save for one track, the entire thing is assembled well and worthy of repeated listens for the particular flare these ladies bring to the table. It’s a decent enough mix - channeling Joy Division represents only10% of their sound, 1% is devoted hipster overconfidence (whatever that’s worth) and the other 89% to the powerful rasp of genuine rage, anxiety, and urgency that shines through on this album.

Thank you for these descriptions! These two stood out among the releases I am unfamiliar with. I thought about doing a little write-up on each release that was important to me, but I got lazy...
xyosefx

Location: We lived among the people. I think you say, convenience store. We lived above it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIVERGENTSERIES wrote:
Column of Heaven/Radioactive Vomit split 7” (Honorable Mention)
Look strange discomforting common ground both tracks share which might include punk affectations of hatred and relentless power. I don’t really know though. The cavernousness that the two bands share is differentiated by CoH’s harsh noise proclivities and industrial post-powerviolence weigh and Radioactive Vomit’s take treading low road of bestial black metal Canadians are fond of these days. It works well together and a nice end of the year bookend to CoH’s occult, limited merch extravaganza.

I'm happy to see this making some other folks' lists.

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
IXTAB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 pages and only 3 mentions of the PROSANCTUS INFERI album? This one is definitely being overlooked/ignored by a lot of people.
3. Memes
4. Ebonics

e-mail ixtab[at]nwnprod[dot]com regarding forum account activation or problems
xyosefx

Location: We lived among the people. I think you say, convenience store. We lived above it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IXTAB wrote:
8 pages and only 3 mentions of the PROSANCTUS INFERI album? This one is definitely being overlooked/ignored by a lot of people.

Not the "hippest" of bands. Great album indeed.

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IXTAB wrote:

DM album of the year for me. Can't pick a single fault with it.
Demoniac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. SOLSTICE - "Death´s Crown Is Victory" (!!!)
2. ZEMIAL - "Nykta"
3. ATLANTEAN KODEX - "The White Goddess"
4. BLUES PILLS - "Devil Man"
5. ORCHID - "The Mouths Of Madness"

I have yet to pick up the new SATAN and BILSKIRNIR albums. Other good releases include THE RUINS OF BEVERAST, DREAD SOVEREIGN, FALKENBACH, SUMMONING and of course SABBATH, although I was a bit disappointed with "13".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: