P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Metallica - Garage Days Ron McGovney Demo LP ???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AOD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Metallica - Garage Days Ron McGovney Demo LP ??? Reply with quote

Anybody out there who listened to that record ??? Is it worth buying ???

Knucklehead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is something that you have to decide, I think. I was a diehard Metallica fan back in the mid-80's and I personally would not buy this boot.

Especially when you can snag a copy in .flac.
AOD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have these files in flac, taken from the original Ron Mcgovney cassette...and they sound brilliant without any sound flaws etc...
I hope the bootleggers used this superior source for the LP. I will buy it, 15 Euro are okay I think. I always prefer to listen to vinyl.
klaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see the pic... Is it this new one? http://www.discogs.com/Metallica-Garage-Days-Revisited/release/4796919
Let us know how it is, when you get it.

Would love a collection of all their old demo/reh/live stuff!
AOD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is the new one.
I'll let you know about the sound quality when I received my copy.
klaw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever get this??
AOD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've got it...and it sucks...!!!
When I first saw that record and decided to buy a copy, I suspected that the makers used the excellent transfer from Ron McGovney's flawless original cassette, easy to find on several blogs....but I was completely wrong. All stuff on that record was compiled from different (mp3)sources and include some rehearsal tracks (in very bad quality) and tracks from the regular demos...as I'm get rid of the LP, I sorted it out and now it collects dust on my "for sale" box...
Grovslakt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the "No Life 'til Leather" demo ever included on any official release?
AOD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
Tireheb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They really should do an official re-release of the demo straight from master tapes. Even a digital FLAC copy would be great.

"You can't hide the hook!"
AOD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ask Google...there is a flac version available of "No Life 'til Leather" since many years, taken from a master copy, owned by Ron McGovney. This version includes all studio chatter and, of course, the tracks in the order they were recorded. Sound is very good. Only flaw is that they played that tape with Dolby B, but it was not recorded with Dolby B. I discovered the flaw (and the great sound of that version) when I dubbed the files to a tape with Dolby B and played the recording without. Sounds excellent !!!
klaw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame about that new boot... Guess I'll have to search out those flac files instead.

How cool it would be with an official box set sourced from originals with all the ca. 81-84 tapes.

For a band that often get the "greedy rock stars" tag they sure haven't done much to exploit their back catalogue. No remasters, no deluxe editions, no best of every other year (yeah Iron Maiden, that was you I was thinking of there), many of their VHS/DVDs are not even available in all regions...
AOD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way: Nobody needs a remastered Metallica album...except the two Steve Hoffmann remasters of "Ride" and "Master". They sound great !!! Pure transfers from the original master tapes - amazing !!! No brickwall limiting, compression, noise reduction etc...
For "Kill", the original US CD sounds great. All later records are not really important to me...but sometimes it would be nice to listen to "Justice" with an audible bass guitar...
klaw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS. Since I've been on a major Mercyful Fate bender lately - same thing goes for them! Official box with ALL the demos, rehearsals and good quality live shows - not just the stuff on Return of the Vampire (which fucking KILLS). And include ALL Brats and Danger Zone material with King on vocals, thank you very much!

Yeeees, let it be dooone...!
klaw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AOD wrote:
By the way: Nobody needs a remastered Metallica album...except the two Steve Hoffmann remasters of "Ride" and "Master". They sound great !!! Pure transfers from the original master tapes - amazing !!! No brickwall limiting, compression, noise reduction etc...
For "Kill", the original US CD sounds great. All later records are not really important to me...but sometimes it would be nice to listen to "Justice" with an audible bass guitar...

Nope, the old CDs sounds fine to me, though I agree Justice could be cool in a new mix. Not that I mind the released one at all... The "no remasters" thing was just to say that they don't pump out all kinds of useless shit to make money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: