P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Trey Azagthoth vs. Doug Cerrito vs. Rob Vigna
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Trey Azagthoth vs. Doug Cerrito vs. Rob Vigna
Azagthoth
69%
 69%  [ 66 ]
Cerrito
5%
 5%  [ 5 ]
Vigna
25%
 25%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 95

eighthplague

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone defending any single aspect of that "Morbid Angel" album deserves to be dragged out into the street and beaten to death with pipes.
eighthplague

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
Trey all the way! I can't think of another metal guitarist who has pushed the envelope as much as he has.

blodhemn9

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that goes without saying ^ Laughing

I think of it like this : Iommi invented bread, Trey sliced it.
vociferous

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The discussion is about guitarists, so any mention of other aspects of the music (ie: drum sounds) is pointless.

I personally voted for Vigna, though Azagthoth is a very close second. While Azagthoth is clearly more influential, I believe that has more to do with the fact that Morbid Angel is more popular than Immolation. If you asked either one of them, I'm certain they'd sing the praises of each others ability. Vigna's leads are slightly more memorable to me, which is where he gets the edge.
Frozen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure Iommi is a riff-God, but I wouldn't consider him half as inventive as Trey.
Shiru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Farthest Star wrote:

It does make sense because what Immolation plays is less complementary with triggers than what MA are doing. Plus, Immolation's triggers on their latest are probably one of the worst triggers I've ever heard. Some moments on Kingdom of Conspiracy sound like they're straight from Dawn of Possession, but you can't listen to them because the sound of your roommate microwaving popcorn is too distracting.

but now we ended discussing what samples used for triggered kits.... Laughing

vociferous wrote:
The discussion is about guitarists, so any mention of other aspects of the music (ie: drum sounds) is pointless.

I personally voted for Vigna, though Azagthoth is a very close second. While Azagthoth is clearly more influential, I believe that has more to do with the fact that Morbid Angel is more popular than Immolation. If you asked either one of them, I'm certain they'd sing the praises of each others ability. Vigna's leads are slightly more memorable to me, which is where he gets the edge.

yep, kinda close expect that i didnt voted, but it feels like i want to vote for Trey, but rather vote Vigna... and i have strong feeling that he plays for "real" more then Trey
Frozen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just trust the poll... Trust the poll...
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cerrito barely belongs in that company. Whatever happened to him anyways? The last recording he was on was in 1999.
Sinvocation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaune Kelley deserves to be in this poll, but I won't go off-topic.

But for me, it's pretty much an impossible tie between Vigna and Azagthoth. No other two players have redefined death metal riffing in such a powerful, evocative way. Cerrito certainly has as well, but Suffo's material, twisted as it can be, has always seemed to fall more on the 'regular' side to me.

Dan wrote:
Cerrito barely belongs in that company. Whatever happened to him anyways? The last recording he was on was in 1999.

According to Erik Rutan, he's a mechanical engineer these days. I thought I heard somewhere that he had sparked an interest in playing death metal again, but I'm not sure how recently that was or how true it even is. Would be cool to see him return to the scene, though.
Necrosadist
banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sinvocation wrote:
but Suffo's material, twisted as it can be, has always seemed to fall more on the 'regular' side to me.
90's suffocation sounds regular to you?

Tell me what band in the 90's sounded like Pierced from within, Despise the sun?

All these clone Suffocation bands Decrepit Birth, Origin, Decapitated and other fake brutal corny shit started popping up in the 2000's. No one sounded like Suffocation in the 90's. THE INNOVATORS OF TRUE TECHNICAL BRUTAL DEATH METAL!!!
Kojiri

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necrosadist wrote:
Sinvocation wrote:
but Suffo's material, twisted as it can be, has always seemed to fall more on the 'regular' side to me.

Tell me what band in the 90's sounded like Pierced from within, Despise the sun?

All these clone Suffocation bands Decrepit Birth, Origin, Decapitated and other fake brutal corny shit started popping up in the 2000's. No one sounded like Suffocation in the 90's. THE INNOVATORS OF TRUE TECHNICAL BRUTAL DEATH METAL!!!

This is very true. The problem is the "NWN culture" doesn't like Technical Brutal Death Metal as a genre as much as what Morbid Angel pioneered or what Immolation does with their music, so you're not going to see Suffo given a lot of credit for innovation when most of the bands that followed them are thought of as retarded plastic brutal death bands. Suffocation are no less innovative and classic despite what they influenced.

Trade/Buy/Sell!: addo_of_nex, Black_Fire, bunyip, cannibal_riot, cursed blood, dawid, Deathammer, etdeath, wvrm
necrodeceitdoctrinator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:

He also recorded vocals and guitar for Day Of Doom debut "Night Of Horror" in 2006..
asmael LeBouc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necrosadist wrote:
Sinvocation wrote:

Don't forget CRYPTOPSY though

TRADE / WANT LIST ! ! ! :
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12006/
Good sellers/traders: ChapelOfDoom, thetrueevil/ GoldenBull, Hobophobic, NWN PROD
Aeonblade

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defending the last MA album and claiming Trey is more inventive than Iommi. Rolling Eyes
Frozen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iommi has his own style, but he's still much more of a "traditional" player than Trey.

Used to watch this video over and over again before "I" dropped: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxFtMKZS29c (too bad the rest of the album didn't turn out like that.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: