P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Distros in China & Hong Kong?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Speerhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Distros in China & Hong Kong? Reply with quote

I'm in China for the next few months and need to find other things to spend my hard earned RMB on besides leng loi's and baijiu. Apart from Dying Arts, does anyone know of any distros here for metal or post-industrial?
dronevil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pest Productions
little_raven

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Distros in China & Hong Kong? Reply with quote

Speerhead wrote:
I'm in China for the next few months and need to find other things to spend my hard earned RMB on besides leng loi's and baijiu. Apart from Dying Arts, does anyone know of any distros here for metal or post-industrial?

Nostalgia Prods from Hong Kong, Dete Nenavister and Cold Woods from China. I take it you speak Chinese?

Pest Prods is your best bet anyways. Cool guy to deal with.
Speerhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dronevil and little_raven. Good call on Pest; they appear to be trading as Lunar Poetry now, at least distro-wise.

http://midnight-pest.taobao.com/

Chinese black metal seems to be almost exclusively depressive or "post-metal" influenced stuff (lol @ a release called "Dreariness - My Mind is Too Weak to Forget")...is anyone doing anything remotely interesting or different? If they can produce something like Enemite, there's some hope.
little_raven

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harrfluss has its moment, same goes for EDIEH (his last album is post bm though). Midwinter is awesome but I take it it's out of your area of interest? Anyways, don't expect to find the next Hvis Lyset Tar Oss there.

Speaking of silly names, there's this band called "Raping Corpse to Sacrifice the Moon" Laughing

Edit: Silly question, but you've heard of Be Persecuted haven't you?

Last edited by little_raven on Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fenrirsson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychedelic Lotus Order.

Guy is currently in HK for a while though.
Speerhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

little_raven wrote:
Harrfluss has its moment, same goes for EDIEH (his last album is post bm though). Midwinter is awesome but I take it it's out of your area of interest? Anyways, don't expect to find the next Hvis Lyset Tar Oss there.

Speaking of silly names, there's this band called "Raping Corpse to Sacrifice the Moon" Laughing

Edit: Silly question, but you've heard of Be Persecuted haven't you?

turns out Harrfluss is the guy from Enemite. The one track I could find on youtube was out-there but non descript. Need to hear more. Midwinter sounds closer to what I'm into, actually. And Be Persecuted is better than the other depressive stuff I heard. But tbh none of it is really doing much for me.

How come you know so much about Chinese BM? Are you based here?
dronevil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really think of any Chinese BM band that is actually great, some bands have their moments but mostly not worth spending your money/time once you get past the initial curiosity.

If you really need something to check out, this one just came out and it's fairly cool:
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=35293989507
Dude was one of the original Chinese rock icons who fronted a hair metal band back in the days. He did some post punk-ish alternative stuff after he left that band then morphed into Bark Psychosis -type post rock. He did shitloads of improvisation/experimental stuff after he got dropped by the major label. The latest one is industrial/ambient with some black metal overtones. Not many worthy riffs, but the overall execution is rather good.
Fenrirsson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLO is probably one of the best people to contact if you're after information about the current Chinese scene. He has released some material as well by older bands there.

Can't imagine that it's easy being based in China, especially in the larger cities where you don't seem to be able to get away with much for too long. I guess that one of the reasons that a lot of those bands haven't reached Western ears is because a lot of the things that we take for granted (ie Facebook, for those interested in such things) are not able to be accessed from there. I could be totally wrong on the former however.

Personally only heard a few bands from there, but pretty cool stuff nonetheless, with a sound of its own. I think that the lack of religious presence probably has something to do with the lack, in some regard, of a "scene" per se there. It would be really strange, and bordering on irrelevant, to hear Chinese anti-christian lyrics, as much as it's ridiculous to hear Japanese anti-christian ones.
dronevil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenrirsson wrote:
Can't imagine that it's easy being based in China, especially in the larger cities where you don't seem to be able to get away with much for too long. I guess that one of the reasons that a lot of those bands haven't reached Western ears is because a lot of the things that we take for granted (ie Facebook, for those interested in such things) are not able to be accessed from there. I could be totally wrong on the former however.

I actually found it to be the exact opposite - jam rooms and venues in bigger Chinese cities are rather well-equipped, you can basically just rock up with your guitar and pedals without having to worry about amps/drum kits etc. You don't really get the bad look for playing extreme metal- for your average joe down the street you are not difference from someone that plays pop punk or grunge, it's all "rock n roll" and they mostly don't give a flying fuck. There aren't much political oppression for extreme metal either since it's not a very political-related genre.

I've spoken to/met some Chinese BM musos and the major problem I found was that not very many (if any) of them have genius interest/knowledge in what they play. Some borderline-alright stuff have been released by labels and have somehow reached western ears. Then there are all those terribad bands that never made it out of the cdr/online streaming stage that you never had the (dis)pleasure to hear...
vansinne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth has a couple of shows coming up in two weeks if you prefer spending your RMB in a live environment.

What's Enemite called in Chinese?
dronevil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vansinne wrote:
What's Enemite called in Chinese?

vansinne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. Thought it would be metal.
dronevil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vansinne wrote:
Cheers. Thought it would be metal.

He's playing disco nowadays:
https://soundcloud.com/zalivad
Speerhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenrirsson wrote:
Psychedelic Lotus Order.

Oh right, now we're getting somewhere!

Found this HK band on the label's bandcamp, which is right up my street:

http://psychedeliclotusorder.bandcamp.com/album/black-sun

dronevil wrote:
Dou Wei 窦唯

I've heard bits and pieces from him. Do you you have any links to samples for that album? Couldn't find anything online.

vansinne wrote:
Behemoth has a couple of shows coming up in two weeks if you prefer spending your RMB in a live environment.

Not massively into modern day Behemoth but it would have been a surreal experience to see them in China. Alas I'm in Guangdong and too far to to either date here.

Thanks for the information everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: