P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

The importance of maintaining a kvlt image 666
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Subcide

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: The importance of maintaining a kvlt image 666 Reply with quote

I was thinking about this today. There are quite a few people I know involved in underground metal bands (and on this forum) that seem to be very focused on protecting and maintaining a cult/elite/dark/serious image. At least on-line and on stage. Over the years I've seen the lines of this get blurred between fantasy and reality. Sometimes with very real consequences. The most famous being Norway in 93, with the dumbest and most recent being those low IQ muppets in Detroit getting confused.
It used to be kids in their late teens and early 20s. These days it's often guys well into their 40s.

I know for a fact, at least in most cases, when you hang out with these people over a few drinks, they let their hair down (if they still have any), have fun and act as human as anyone.

Is it just bullshit and bravado? Is it real or just a hollow facade? Is it important or superficial? What are YOUR thoughts?

Last edited by Subcide on Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:26 am; edited 1 time in total
funeral-records

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im too kvlt to answer this...
PeterVenkman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funeral-records wrote:

I don't even own an internet.
Subcide

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funeral-records wrote:

same
AncientSlumber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Music is the only thing that matters for me in the end.
Bazzah
banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so cult, I can afford to wear Myrkur shirts unironically. Get it? Not even mocking it, just being able to wear it because it cannot diminish my cultness in any way.
Blood Music

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image is clearly a very important part of black metal. There are a ton of great bands with a following, but in my opinion there are also a lot of black metal bands that seem to thrive on image alone. Probably moreso than any other genre. Whether it's "serious" or not? I guess that's up the the individual. It has always seemed a lot more like theatre to me, though. I think those that take it deadly seriously are in the small minority.

Blood Music
http://www.blood-music.com
http://www.facebook.com/BlooodMusic
El Feroce

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't listen to a black metal band that doesn't have an 'evil' attitude like nowdays Marduk or Craft.

That's why I don't follow Darkthrone anymore, cause if I want to go see any clowns, I'm going at the circus.

At least, yes, attitude/kvlting is important to me.

Do you really go in a black metal mood thinking of this guy?

EternalWinter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing Skuldom's bassist/vocalist in countdown once, dressed in the same black leather as on stage (less the bones), we both nodded to each other and thought that was awesome, knowing that there is metal heads around during the day.

Just seeing someone in a (black/death) metal shirt is hard to come by unless at a concert. I wear band t-shirts to work (TV industry) and proud I'm probably the only one who listens to this type of music.
Valgrinder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Maintaining a kvlt image Reply with quote

Subcide wrote:

I know for a fact, at least in most cases, when you hang out with these people over a few drinks, they let their hair down (if they still have any), have fun and act as human as anyone.

So how is enjoying things exclude hate & anger?
The Fallen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I my view a menacing/kvlt stage-artist persona does not exclude being a 'nice' respectable person, while still maintaining strong or 'controversial' ethical or other views.
Kojiri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoods, gas masks, chains, bullet belts... Put these on if you wish to cult. Also draw scribbly occult and ancient symbols all over your shit. Say something about nihilism. Then u shall be loved

Keep the hate train rollin'
danofort

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Maintaining a kvlt image Reply with quote

Subcide wrote:
with the dumbest and most recent being those low IQ muppets in Detroit getting confused.

Who are these muppets you speak of?

I have more band shirts and hooded sweatshirts than I'd like to admit to, and I wear almost all of them. Much of the time they tend to make people want to avoid me, which is very welcome. Other times, they flat out offend people, which is an added bonus.
Goatvargr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Feroce wrote:
I couldn't listen to a black metal band that doesn't have an 'evil' attitude like nowdays Marduk or Craft.

That's why I don't follow Darkthrone anymore, cause if I want to go see any clowns, I'm going at the circus.

I understand what you mean, and agree to certain extent. One of the things that makes (or should make) extreme metal different from other genres is at least believing in what you are playing or writting. It doesn't make any sense to me if someone is writting some lyrics on the first person and doesn't relate to what he is writting about.

But that doesn't mean one can't have fun or act funny whenever one wishes just for playing in a Black Metal band? Looking at that photo of Fenriz, whats wrong with it?
Grindblaster666

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goatvargr wrote:
El Feroce wrote:

I understand what you mean, and agree to certain extent. One of the things that makes (or should make) extreme metal different from other genres is at least believing in what you are playing or writting. It doesn't make any sense to me if someone is writting some lyrics on the first person and doesn't relate to what he is writting about.

But that doesn't mean one can't have fun or act funny whenever one wishes just for playing in a Black Metal band? Looking at that photo of Fenriz, whats wrong with it?

Just don't get caught having fun. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: