P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Fear Factory-Soul of a new Machine
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Fear Factory-Soul of a new Machine Reply with quote

I'm certain most would find this band's latter material to be shit. But back in the early nineties what did you all think of Soul of a new Machine? What are some songs you like, and how was this band treated back in the Roadrunner dm crowd.
rthdx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a huge "Demanufacture" fan in the school days and remember switching "Remanufacture" remixes at school discos... Smile Don't remember their earlier material now (though heard it all, of corpse), but I never perceived FF as DM band, rather as some aggro industrial or so...
bigcartel
youtube
Carlzilla

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't love it or anything, but I still own Soul of a New Machine, and enjoy it on the rare occasion that I decide to throw it on.

And now we have fags complaining about other fags. A "fagoboros" if you will.

http://www.last.fm/user/carlzilla
la_ciudad_podrida

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never listened to it but Ive always wanted to. I had some of the FF demos burned to a disc a few years back and I always really liked it. Still waiting for this one to pop up in a used bin or something.
Frozen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time hasn't been gentle on this one...
SoundsOfDecay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early FF is quality. This and Demanufacture. SOANM is better though admittedly. The harsh vocals remind me so much of Napalm Death, and the singing is very Godflesh.
dalecooper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I snagged this for free as it was sent as a promo to my college radio station, who didn't want it. At the time it struck me as a vaguely industrial spin on Napalm Death's death metal period. It's not terrible, but I remember some really overdone emphasis on repetitive parts and hooks that kind of grated after a while.
Kvlty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did they ever pay justin broadrick his back royalties?
captainretardo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think it's a strong album with several standout tracks (Scapegoat, Martyr, Big God/Raped Souls, Self Immolation etc). Bell's vocal delivery is massive on this album.

I've heard a million people compare it to Godflesh, but that comparison is grossly overstated imo. I'm sure one can find a few samples that sound reminiscent of Godflesh, but Soul of a New Machine is primarily a grindy death metal album, although with a lot of weirdness/clean singing bits etc thrown in. Worlds apart from Godflesh imo, and much more heavy and violent.

There are many parts where DM is still being played even when Bell is singing clearly and I think people just write it off because of the vocals.

I don't know how to answer your question of "how was this band treated back in the Roadrunner dm crowd?" Many people like me (heavy into thrash/death) liked this band, and I believe they were mainly marketed as a DM act before Demanufacture. However I do not ever remember them touring with only DM acts--the bands I remember them playing with were a real mixed bag of styles, from Sepultura to Biohazard (lol) to Machine Head (lol). Their fanbase split (and expanded massively) when Demanufacture came out-- a lot of people into SoaNM hated it, but for every one of them, FF probably gained like 25 new fans.

Soul of a New Machine still rules in my book though.

edit: They might have had an early tour with Brutal Truth too (?). Somebody here probably knows.
Sunnportal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captainretardo wrote:
I still think it's a strong album with several standout tracks (Scapegoat, Martyr, Big God/Raped Souls, Self Immolation etc). Bell's vocal delivery is massive on this album.

I've heard a million people compare it to Godflesh, but that comparison is grossly overstated imo. I'm sure one can find a few samples that sound reminiscent of Godflesh, but Soul of a New Machine is primarily a grindy death metal album, although with a lot of weirdness/clean singing bits etc thrown in. Worlds apart from Godflesh imo, and much more heavy and violent.

There are many parts where DM is still being played even when Bell is singing clearly and I think people just write it off because of the vocals.

I don't know how to answer your question of "how was this band treated back in the Roadrunner dm crowd?" Many people like me (heavy into thrash/death) liked this band, and I believe they were mainly marketed as a DM act before Demanufacture. However I do not ever remember them touring with only DM acts--the bands I remember them playing with were a real mixed bag of styles, from Sepultura to Biohazard (lol) to Machine Head (lol). Their fanbase split (and expanded massively) when Demanufacture came out-- a lot of people into SoaNM hated it, but for every one of them, FF probably gained like 25 new fans.

Soul of a New Machine still rules in my book though.

edit: They might have had an early tour with Brutal Truth too (?). Somebody here probably knows.

What is your opinion of Concrete? http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Fear_Factory/Concrete/3917
captainretardo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concrete is also great. For people familiar with SoaNM, you'll hear early versions of many songs that made it onto SoaNM, plus some new shits.

Concrete was apparently recorded before SoaNM but due to some legal bullshit (I dunno the full story) wasn't released until like a decade later. I haven't played it in quite awhile but my memory says it is even more death/grind-oriented than SoaNM.

Definitely worth picking up imo.
swinging man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still adore this album. Every time when I'm going to give Soul of a New Machine another spin, I eventually wear it out. Just can't stop myself from listening to it. Hands down, SOANM is the band's most violent, intense and ferocious record of their whole discography.

Last edited by swinging man on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
iron tyrant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A disgrace of an album that opened the doors to a multitude of scenesters. The beginning of the end.

Professor Black wrote:
NWOBHM is not a style of music.
captainretardo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only when viewed in hindsight, imo, Iron Tyrant. My local worldview (ie my opinion and my friends') was that it was a 'different kind of DM.' Nothing more, nothing less. FF blew the proverbial roof off the place every time I saw them and were always well-received.

I'd agree with you if you were speaking of Demanufacture-and-onward FF material though.
Endsieg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iron tyrant wrote:
A disgrace of an album that opened the doors to a multitude of scenesters. The beginning of the end.

not sure if you're serious, but my thoughts exactly. one of the nails in the coffin.

the raw piece of meat we got from the likes of Godflesh, Pitch Shifter, GGFH was turned into nicely cooked, bite sized and garnished assembly line food. fucking boring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: