P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Forces of Steel Interview with Mark Shelton of Manilla Road

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forces of Steel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Forces of Steel Interview with Mark Shelton of Manilla Road Reply with quote

Recently, I teamed up with another loyal Manilla Road fan to ask Mark "The Shark" Shelton of Manilla Road a fair amount of questions.

Check out our interview.

A few highlights:
Quote:
5. Painkiller: How do you believe you evolved from a slight 1970s rock vibe (e.g. Invasion) to an atmospheric heavy metal vibe (e.g. Open the Gates) to an intense thrash metal vibe (e.g. Out of the Abyss)?

It's always been in my mind to fuse any and all styles of music into the metal thing. I'm still experimenting with that to this day. My influences back then and now are very broad and so I would have to say it was sort of a natural evolution.

The thrash thing came from Randy Foxe and I always trying to see who could play faster and heavier than the other. That little contest lasted for years and brought forth many really interesting songs.

Over the years I have experimented with almost all genres of metal music form. Road albums even to this day see the light of many styles within the same release. I still tend to follow my own nose when it comes to what we are going to do next. I just let my instincts point me in the right direction.

11. Messiah X: You cover a lot of ground in your lyrics, ranging from history and mythology to a wide range of literature. I see a lot of Robert E Howard and H.P. Lovecraft references, Arthurian legends and Roman and Norse mythology, sometimes even combined into single songs. Do you get your inspiration from reading and studying these subjects, or are these just topics you enjoy working with because they fit the music so well? Are there any other themes that have caught your interest lately?

The overall answer to that is yes. I get the inspiration from reading and studying the topics but the reason I work with these topics is because they are so conducive to my style of music as well. I've always said that if it sounds cool then it is cool.

As for new topics right now I'm sort of going in a philosophical direction in regards to the beginnings of the civilization of man and where we are headed for the future. But then again there are always influences by Howard and Lovecraft that you have spoke of that seem to creep into my stuff now and then as well as any historic event that catches my eye at any given moment.

IXTAB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Forces of Steel Interview with Mark Shelton of Manilla R Reply with quote

Forces of Steel wrote:
[image signature]

Deleted per forum rules.
3. Unidentified band photos and youtube links
4. Memes
5. Ebonics

e-mail ixtab[at]nwnprod[dot]com regarding forum account activation or problems
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: