P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Castaneda: where to start ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_Belvedere

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Castaneda: where to start ? Reply with quote

I recently bought all books by Carlos Castaneda in a lot from ebay. Just finished reading The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge. So what would you considfer me to read next? Where to start in general with his works?
passetiermes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Did the lot have a book called 'Conversations with Carlos Castaneda'? I think that one could be a good starting point.
As for books actually written by Castaneda, I'm not much of an help as I've read only 3-4 of them.
Haven't read Castaneda for almost 20 years, but everytime I listen to Unholy (especially The Second Ring Of Power), I remember that I have a few of his books.
Mr_Belvedere

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it does. It's 18 books in total. Not only books written by, but also about him. When i read you post i had to smile, because mainly Golden Dawn and Unholy were the reason why i wanted to delve into his oevres.
passetiermes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, some of the leanings on The Second Ring Of Power are pretty obvious. My advice is not to bother with questions about reliability/authencity of his writings. They are a good read even if you treat them as pure fiction, or at least that's how I remember them to be. Maybe I should revisit Tales Of Power.
Golden Dawn, the Austrian band?
Mr_Belvedere

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the austrian band. They have an album called "The Art Of Dreaming".
passetiermes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, have to check that one.
john matrix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journey to Ixtlan is my favorite of the 3 that I've read. I believe it is meant to be the 3rd book, but it actually is supposed to have occurred at the same time as the first. It doesn't focus on the Peyote and mushrooms as much as the others.

If you're going in the order that they were written, I believe you should read A Separate Reality next.
Jankowitch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should read the Teachings of Don Juan in order, it would make little sense otherwise. Each book brings new concepts on the table and each are developed over time.

The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge, 1968
A Separate Reality: Further Conversations with Don Juan, 1971
Journey to Ixtlan: The Lessons of Don Juan, 1972
Tales of Power, 1974
The Second Ring of Power, 1977
The Eagle's Gift, 1981
The Fire From Within, 1984
The Power of Silence: Further Lessons of Don Juan, 1987

I've been reading Castaneda for a few months and it got me really passionate about it. I'm reading The Fire From Within now, it's starting to get a bit hard to read because the concepts are pushed so far and seem pretty blurry. But all the other books are great, my favorite being Tales of Power.
Mr_Belvedere

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now i started this interview book by Graciela Corvalán.
NuclearGoatVomit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always wondering about all those "where to start threads". Well, just fucking start where it all started, is this so hard to think of by yourself?
Or you want to be told - start from the last book and then go to the first one.

Back on topic: I used to read Castaneda a lot back in 2001 until 2004 and his writings had a huge influence on my life and still the magic is going on. Of course, it's impossible for me to live the whole thing in real life, that's obvious, but still one can see things different.
All of the books are connected and one can only start from the beginning.
Mr_Belvedere

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuclearGoatVomit wrote:
I'm always wondering about all those "where to start threads". Well, just fucking start where it all started, is this so hard to think of by yourself?
Or you want to be told - start from the last book and then go to the first one.

Back on topic: I used to read Castaneda a lot back in 2001 until 2004 and his writings had a huge influence on my life and still the magic is going on. Of course, it's impossible for me to live the whole thing in real life, that's obvious, but still one can see things different.
All of the books are connected and one can only start from the beginning.

I learned that some of the happenings and the books are not in chronological order. Got different considerations from different people, so that's why i dared to ask here.
Madhukapala

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

passetiermes wrote:
My advice is not to bother with questions about reliability/authencity of his writings.

This is good advice. I suspect that the author significantly distorts/misrepresents Yaqui beliefs and practices. I could be wrong, but it's certainly worth taking this stuff with a handful of salt.
Jankowitch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Belvedere wrote:

I learned that some of the happenings and the books are not in chronological order.

They are though.

Quote:
I suspect that the author significantly distorts/misrepresents Yaqui beliefs and practices.

Castaneda's books are in no way representatives of Yaqui beliefs and practices, the practices depicted are those of just a handful of people as you learn in The eagle's gift.

As for the authenticity of his books, one will never know the truth, so there's really no point in debating. Most of the critics I've read were pretty weak I think, and are in no way proof that it was an invention. IMO the reader should just read the books and try to take something out of it and adapt it to his life, without always questioning the authenticity.
Mr_Belvedere

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I let the book with the interview aside because it more or less judges the other books which i want to discover by myself. So right now i am reading A Separate Reality: Further Conversations with Don Juan.
Azmoth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should listen to Dom Juan Matus while reading the books, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: