P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

BLASPHEMY - Fallen Angel... re-edition planned?!?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dronevil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper's Grave wrote:
Sometimes i wonder if this LP would actually need a repress if you accounted for the copies horded by stamp collectors already :p

Not that i'm against peoples choices to do what they will with their money and albums, but its an interesting thing to think about. The wild rags pressing wasn't exactly limited. I think one person discovered there must have been at least 8 or 12 thousand copies of that. Then at least 1,000 from NWN pressing and probably some bootlegs down the line? This doesn't even count the CD which is already rare in all pressing. Is there really more than 20,000 people in the world who would own FAoD?

It's a classic black metal album after all. If "Welcome to Hell" or "Transilvanian Hunger" can stay in print I don't see why FAOD shouldn't be.

Also probably not all copies of the 90's pressing are still in circulation. Copies could've been lost/thrown away/forgotten in a basement in the meantime. Especially during the pre-ebay days when people don't realized how much it worth etc.
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you count posters on here recent memory, the story is also the same. This album was not deemed essential by many until few years ago when goatfago bands become popular with black/death metal scene again

I agree classic album should be in print, it just made me wonder for a moment why this album is as rare as it is. At the numbers of its ebay auction a repress is good!
Sunnportal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalinorgel wrote:
BTW, I don't own ANY version of that album so far and it's not a problem. When it comes to Blasphemy, I am fine with the Live-Ritual and Diehard-Rehearsal, their finest hour.

Interesting. No love for Blood Upon The Altar?

I'll have to give the Die Hard Rehearsal tracks a closer listen.
Ashdautas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill omen wrote:
Ashdautas wrote:
Airyanem Vaejah wrote:
Ashdautas wrote:
Airyanem Vaejah wrote:
ill omen wrote:
ADB wrote:
I'm happy with my 4 copies Wink

Im happy with my 9 copies (2 x Wild Rags, 7 x NWN). The only album I even remotely care to own so many versions of.

Why would you ever buy more than one identical copy of a record if you donít plan to jew it on ebay? It just doesnít make sense. Then again, I donít have the urge to get different versions of the same album either. Unless they sound vastly different/have really great bonus tracks etcÖ

It's called collecting. Type the word into google if you do not know the definition off of the top of your head. It's completely understandable behavior for a fan(atic) of a band to display readily, especially in subcultural terms. I myself have every vinyl version of the first 4 Burzum full lengths(aside from the bootlegs) for example because it is a band whose early work I respect and enjoy immensely.

Alright, fair enough. I probably just lack the collector gene. Still seems weird to me how many people on this board are about these things. Itís not like someone who collects all different editions or pays ridiculous overprices for first presses necessarily listen more times, more carefully or even appreciate the albums more than any other listener. FAOD is such a great album that I could get into buying different versions, that is if I had money I didnít know how else to spend. In many cases though, it seems to have more to do with collecting stamps or coins than to fully understand/appreciate the music.
I understand your viewpoint and the parallels that you brought up however you must bear in mind that you can't listen to a stamp or a coin but you can listen to various versions of an album. You have the right to disagree with it though and I get why a lot of people are against "collector" types. They can make it difficult for people who simply want one version of an album because they are really into it musically but are being denied that by people who have to have a million copies of the same album despite them being different versions. Collectors drive up prices for out of print LPs, that's for damn sure.

First of all, they are all different versions with different art and, if you consider that all of the "die hard" editions had color vinyl and pic disc, I suppose I technically have 13 copies. But don't get me wrong, I am not going to argue that there isn't something absurd about having 9 copies of the same record, but at the same time, if I want 9 copies of something, I do not personally feel compelled to justify it. There are quite a few records for which I have originals and represses or whatever. There are pros and cons to collecting. In recent years I have toned down that collector urge somewhat and hope to one day live more like a normal human being...but barring a serious drug habit or an earthquake, I am likely to have those same 9 FAOD lps when I die.

[Also, at the time NWN released the Blasphemy record, I was the lone employee there (other than Yosuke, of course) so it sort of made sense that I would get all the variations. And I posted that comment more as a testament to the absurdity of having nearly an entire expedit cube dedicated to a band that only released three lps and a demo.]
I think the main gripe isnt for people who are legitimately really intensely into a band but for dickheads who just buy records to collect as a blatantly retarded pseudo kvlt status symbol, or to just hoard a million copies of one LP release in order to Jew people out of money later, which there are a lot of from what I have seen in my life. Those are the people who I take issue with and I think that they are the real problem.

Last edited by Ashdautas on Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
dronevil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper's Grave wrote:
If you count posters on here recent memory, the story is also the same. This album was not deemed essential by many until few years ago when goatfago bands become popular with black/death metal scene again

I agree classic album should be in print, it just made me wonder for a moment why this album is as rare as it is. At the numbers of its ebay auction a repress is good!

If you count all formats I think there were about 3500 copies made for the first Proclamation album. It's not too surprising if the demand for FAOD is 10x of that...
Stalinorgel
banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunnportal wrote:
No love for Blood Upon The Altar?

Of course I also own the Gods of War/Blood Upon the Altar-digipak (like almost everyone), but I rarely listen to it.

That being said, if a reasonable priced edition of "Fallen Angel of Doom" pops up one day, it would be fine as well.
wargoat_H

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunnportal wrote:
Stalinorgel wrote:
BTW, I don't own ANY version of that album so far and it's not a problem. When it comes to Blasphemy, I am fine with the Live-Ritual and Diehard-Rehearsal, their finest hour.

Interesting. No love for Blood Upon The Altar?

I'll have to give the Die Hard Rehearsal tracks a closer listen.

Surprised LOTS of love for 'Blood Upon the Altar'!!!!
in fact, I think it's the most accessible Blasphemy record, just only for the reason that the guitar sound is clearer and the overall playing is somewhat more tighter - this is NOT to say that it's weak or wimpy

weak? wimpy? this is the demo tape that influenced Beherit to play like THIS.

and keep in mind: because of Osmose Prod., the "Gods of War/Blood.." package is always in stock, both in vinyl and CD.
What about to license "FAOD" to them, to do the reissue?
They have bigger economical resources to do the press than 'Ross Bay Cult'.

Last edited by wargoat_H on Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blasphemy plays here within the next couple weeks. Revenge and Bolzer as well.

This has nothing to do with the thread really.
I do however have some small manner of surprise the Greeks have not bootlegged the shit out of Fallen Angel of Doom though if the demand and price for this record is that high. Wink
Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunnportal wrote:
That's their only release that doesn't suck, imo.
Fenrirsson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's old Blasphemy interviews which indicate that there was around 40,000 copies sold of FAoD, but no one other than Richard C can really confirm that.
morbiddeceiver

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:
Sunnportal wrote:
That's their only release that doesn't suck, imo.

I agree metal brethren. The demo rules. Albums are a major letdown imo.
wargoat_H

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenrirsson wrote:
There's old Blasphemy interviews which indicate that there was around 40,000 copies sold of FAoD, but no one other than Richard C can really confirm that.

I think it's wrong: the red vinyl USA press was reportedly at 2000 copies and I presume that the whole sum of original vinyls (USA and European pressings), CD's and tapes is under 10,000 units.

Demoniarch wrote:

I do however have some small manner of surprise the Greeks have not bootlegged the shit out of Fallen Angel of Doom though if the demand and price for this record is that high. Wink

nudge/nudge - wink/wink Wink :

http://www.masterful-magazine.com/zdjecia/blasphemy_digibook_boootleg.jpg
eighthplague

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up worshiping FOAD like most people who listen to this sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-subgenre probably did, but I've come to appreciate Gods of War as the better of the two albums at this point.
Captain Retard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dronevil wrote:

It's a classic black metal album after all. If "Welcome to Hell" or "Transilvanian Hunger" can stay in print I don't see why FAOD shouldn't be.

This!
Shiru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper's Grave wrote:
Sometimes i wonder if this LP would actually need a repress if you accounted for the copies horded by stamp collectors already :p

Not that i'm against peoples choices to do what they will with their money and albums, but its an interesting thing to think about. The wild rags pressing wasn't exactly limited. I think one person discovered there must have been at least 8 or 12 thousand copies of that. Then at least 1,000 from NWN pressing and probably some bootlegs down the line? This doesn't even count the CD which is already rare in all pressing. Is there really more than 20,000 people in the world who would own FAoD?

i have kinda same question - and well how many people owned FAoD, cause obviously sales was better back in a days, and there was less collecting and more listening. so some of those copies are gone forever but still Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: