P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Treblinka "Shrine of the Pentagram" 5 LP box set
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dalecooper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
I don't look down on people because of their choice to purchase a particular release. I'm just pointing out that it's funny to see so many people say, in the exact same post, "this sucks but I'm buying it anyway."

They shalt supply what thou demandst!

I always support official releases of music I love, if it's financially feasible. First because hopefully some money will make its way back to the band, and second because I'd rather give too much money to a label with permission than less money to a bootlegger (even if one with good intentions).

So yeah. Despite my reservations, I'll buy this. As well as many other releases stuffed full of too many bonus tracks I'll never listen to. The only ones I choose not to buy are double-dips and reissues where I already own the (official) original and don't need to buy a new one. I'm not a stamp collector at all; owning five versions of everything doesn't interest me.

What this means is that labels reissuing old music (especially demos that may only be compiled this way officially one time, ever) have fans like me over a barrel. I buy whatever they release, regardless of what I think of it or how much it costs, because at its core they're giving me an official version I can feel good about supporting of music that I love. But I will also speak my mind about it, loudly and frequently, because it's the only means available to even sort of send a message that these mega-sets are overkill, for all but the most hardcore fans. (I'd wager that less than 10% of the people who buy this behemoth will listen to all of it more than once; and probably 50% will never listen to all of it.)
dalecooper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cursed Emperor wrote:

It's funny to see all these complaints. I've hardly seen anyone complain about that 10 (!!!) LP Sabbat set. In fact, Sabbat continues to cram the same songs (in different live versions) and recordings down your throat on 10 different colours for each release, yet no one complains...

For my part that's because all I need of Sabbat is their best few albums. I'm not the audience for that 10 LP set and whatever is on it. Just looking at their ridiculously long discography gives me the willies, and likewise with bands like Nunslaughter. I don't need to hear every half-inspired musical fart issued by bands I like, and the bands that feel the need to release this much stuff usually betray their overall low standards, thus chasing me away from following them at all. Particularly if their discography reads like this: live album, live album, rehearsal, split, split, live album, split, rehearsal, rehearsal... to all such bands, I have a suggestion: stop cranking out half-hearted junk and spend a year making an album people will remember.
Sergej
banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalecooper wrote:
Cursed Emperor wrote:

It's funny to see all these complaints. I've hardly seen anyone complain about that 10 (!!!) LP Sabbat set. In fact, Sabbat continues to cram the same songs (in different live versions) and recordings down your throat on 10 different colours for each release, yet no one complains...

For my part that's because all I need of Sabbat is their best few albums. I'm not the audience for that 10 LP set and whatever is on it. Just looking at their ridiculously long discography gives me the willies, and likewise with bands like Nunslaughter. I don't need to hear every half-inspired musical fart issued by bands I like, and the bands that feel the need to release this much stuff usually betray their overall low standards, thus chasing me away from following them at all. Particularly if their discography reads like this: live album, live album, rehearsal, split, split, live album, split, rehearsal, rehearsal... to all such bands, I have a suggestion: stop cranking out half-hearted junk and spend a year making an album people will remember.

this x 10000000
Carlzilla

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbid69 wrote:
Silly. A band with about 10 songs doesn't need a 5lp set.

All these labels releasing "ultra super DIEHARD box sets" need to hire you as a consultant.

I have the 2CD bootleg, it sounds about as decent as it needs to sound, has all the songs it needs to have, and didn't cost more than it should. This is unnecessary.

And now we have fags complaining about other fags. A "fagoboros" if you will.

http://www.last.fm/user/carlzilla
DSS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kojiri wrote:
You think that will prevent future bootlegging?

Bootlegging exists in part to provide the poor 3rd worlders of the world a means to purchase something without emptying their life savings, which this LP set will most likely do.

Most bootlegs are more expensive than official releases. You can get an official LP for as low as $12. Bootlegs are usually priced at $20 and up per LP.
How much were the Possessed demos on LP? If I remember correctly $27 from NWN! store for one 12" LP!! And most bootlegs re-sell for much more as well.
rthdx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it was already mentioned before, a 3CD-version of this release will be available and I doubt it will look worse than Hellhammer collection, for example. I'll make a huge exception this time and take both versions, as I have to confess that I'm a fan Embarassed , but I really see no reason to all this bitching out, as if there is only 5LP-version with no alternatives besides download... Smile
bigcartel
youtube
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cursed Emperor wrote:
I'll get this one. Treblinka is easily among my favourite bands.

Have a band that actually had a decent sound and influenced almost an entire scene release something like this and you get a shitstorm. UNBELIEVABLE

the 10 LP collection is a diehard edition. The regular edition was the first two LPs or a 3LP comp which if i recall covers their first five EPs and maybe some additional tracks. At least there is an option.

What labels fail to do these days is to make regular average joe editions, it applies to metal scene and outside as well. Many releases get big expensive packaging, or filled with extra tracks and LPs because the market says that everyone wants diehard editions anyway and they sell more easily than the generic versions. Moreso with compilations because they're mostly novelties to begin with.
doomedplanet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What box is this?

Cursed Emperor wrote:
I've hardly seen anyone complain about that 10 (!!!) LP Sabbat set.
Pestkrieg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN releasing a 30th anniversary Sabbat box at the end of this year. I think the regular was 6LP, and the die-hard 10.

Edit - all the info here: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21361&highlight=earlyearslaught
Weltering in Blood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sound on most of this must be really shit. Any lives I've heard of Treblinka have been almost unlistenable. FIVE records for 8 songs? sounds a little excessive.
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper's Grave wrote:
Cursed Emperor wrote:
I'll get this one. Treblinka is easily among my favourite bands.

Have a band that actually had a decent sound and influenced almost an entire scene release something like this and you get a shitstorm. UNBELIEVABLE

the 10 LP collection is a diehard edition. The regular edition was the first two LPs or a 3LP comp which if i recall covers their first five EPs and maybe some additional tracks. At least there is an option.

What labels fail to do these days is to make regular average joe editions, it applies to metal scene and outside as well. Many releases get big expensive packaging, or filled with extra tracks and LPs because the market says that everyone wants diehard editions anyway and they sell more easily than the generic versions. Moreso with compilations because they're mostly novelties to begin with.

While I agree totally, I think that sadly the labels are right.

I was talking with a friend about this last night. He's really into his glitchy German electronica stuff, and he was telling me that a label owner he knows was getting lots of complaints because an edition he printed came with the LP and CD....and people were up in arms because to get the cd out they had to open the shrinkwrap on the LP. All I could say was look at shit like comics post 1990-ish, trading cards, fucking beanie babies....all this shit people are being suckered into buying for resale value. It's a retarded false economy - buy it to listen to or the exercise is pointless. "yeah man, I've got this huge expidit full of heavy and inconvenient records I never listen to because I might average a 1.5% capital gain."

Dont get me wrong, I love the art of packaging records, box sets etc etc. But there is a limit, and 5 LP's for a demo band is pushing it.
Chit019

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Century Media will re-release Mortem's slow death as 6xlp box set on 78rpm just to fuck with you guys. Die hard will be pic disc with laser etching on the last side (pressed on GZ), nwn pseudo audiophiles worst nightmare.

Test press edition comes with minge-eaters stump and free English lessons with Eric Neyra.
dalecooper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rthdx wrote:
As it was already mentioned before, a 3CD-version of this release will be available and I doubt it will look worse than Hellhammer collection, for example. I'll make a huge exception this time and take both versions, as I have to confess that I'm a fan Embarassed , but I really see no reason to all this bitching out, as if there is only 5LP-version with no alternatives besides download... Smile

The 3CD version is what I'll be getting and it's STILL overkill. One worthy disc and two mostly pointless ones, stuffed in a giant book-style release that like the Morbid set won't fit comfortably on any of my shelves. And because it's this big deluxe release it'll probably cost twice what a regular single CD will run you.
doomedplanet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I knew there was a box coming but no idea about a 10 lp version, damn.
Pestkrieg wrote:
NWN releasing a 30th anniversary Sabbat box at the end of this year. I think the regular was 6LP, and the die-hard 10.

Edit - all the info here: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21361&highlight=earlyearslaught
IXTAB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cursed Emperor wrote:

This is a ridiculous comparison: a band that put out 2 demos and an EP vs. a band with 8 full-length albums and 30 years of history among them. I certainly don't have anything against Treblinka, and I understand that many of the Sabbat releases are not mandatory, but it makes no sense to try to draw a comparison between these two releases.
3. Unidentified band photos and youtube links
4. Memes
5. Ebonics

e-mail ixtab[at]nwnprod[dot]com regarding forum account activation or problems
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: