P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

27 Breathtaking Record Stores To Shop At Before You Die.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eigenbrötler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the SF Amoeba and Berkeley locations better than the LA one, but only because I cannot stand LA/Southern California.

What surprised me the most, is that Mississippi records is on this list. I'm not sure how a store that's smaller than my bedroom is one of worlds best? The best and worst thing about Mississippi records is that the staff know absolutely nothing about metal whatsoever. It's good because they sometimes undervalue vinyl and you get yourselves a great deal. On that same note, they often over price as you can see the same exact LPs in stock time after time. No one in their right mind is going to pay 25 bucks for a repress of Kill em All.
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weltering in Blood wrote:
harmless wrote:
Weltering in Blood wrote:
Second hand stores are not what they used be for metalheads.

Some twenty years ago I used to take the usual route between the 2nd hand shops in Reykjavík picking up today's gold for only a few hundred krónur. Nowadays second hand stores go cheap on pop music but anything more extreme is priced pretty high.

Yep, unless it's run by old some codger who doesn't even have an email address, you're going to find it tough to get good stuff at reasonable prices anymore in second hand stores. that used be my saturdays, goinga round to all the second hand stores in the city, nowadays it's barely even worth the effort.

For a while i focused on used and older releases, but most stores these days are basically physical distros which have the new releases mixed with some backstock LPs that either never sell anywhere else. Some items sold out online turn up on occasion in physical stores i've been to unless its ebay gold. Also they might have a subpar used section of either yard sale records, or a few overpriced albums.

Many people have gotten smarter to used records in over a decades time that its rare to see anything worthwhile show up. The rare times they do, the stores price according to ebay buy it now or discogs prices. Though these days both sides of that even for what used to be common (stuff from labels like combat, metal blade, noise, banzai, music for nations, steamhammer, and similar labels/distribution in the 80's metal scene) that price is probably somewhere in $20-40 for records that were between $5-15 only a few years ago. Makes finding those missing pieces over the years more annoying to fill in as time goes on.

Scoring is almost impossible these days, i don't have expectations to do so, but i would love to walk into a store and find $5-10 used motorhead, iron maiden, and metallica LPs, and maybe an original press king diamond album not priced at $30-40 again. This was the norm not too long ago, but i've seen some guys jump at buying those king diamond albums for that price, so i guess as long as people continue to support that behavior we won't see that again.
Fork Tongue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idk how many metal/punk based record stores there are around the world but I'd be surprised if there were better ones than Armageddon in Mass and RI.
jv

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the LA Amoeba is good for non-metal stuff, but their metal section pretty much sucks. You can find some gems here and there, but it's nothing like the one in SF.
Blood and Thunder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been to Picadilly in Manchester. Don't remember it being that remarkable.

The internet has killed my "passion" for record stores and flipping through crates. I have no confidence I'll find anything I want ha ha so don't bother.
Then the devil must...

http://www.blackmetalrevolution.com/preview.html
http://www.blackmetalrevolution.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/bmrevolution
INEXORABLE EXTERMINATION

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VINTAGE VINYL near Newark, NJ... for the USA the most massive metal section I've ever seen, easily takes an hour or more to rapidly flip from A-Z...and that is just the cds....then the other half of the store has the LPS... you won't get out of there without blowing at least $100 and I've seen some folks drop $500...and i've been there twice in my life...
robotdie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fork Tongue wrote:
Idk how many metal/punk based record stores there are around the world but I'd be surprised if there were better ones than Armageddon in Mass and RI.

+1, but I'm up to the challenge to find out. The metal & punk disc union stores in Tokyo are the only contenders I've come across.
GiantCogs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to a lot of stores that are hyped for their metal selection. Armageddon is always better.
Ough

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

End of an Ear should replace Waterloo on that list...
Weltbrand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eigenbrötler wrote:

What surprised me the most, is that Mississippi records is on this list.

I actually think that, at least in terms of being able to find records that aren't the same bin fodder at every other store, Mississippi does excel. I've gotten good finds from genres across the board at that place many times. Also the fact that they don't use the internet to price or sell records is often an advantage (but occasionally a disadvantage like you say).

Judging by most of the stores that made this list though, the woman who wrote it may want to dust off her dictionary and look up the meaning 'breathtaking'.
peterott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Static Age/Primitive Arts in Halmstad was always my prime choice for the best record shop. Additionally Sthlm Series Och Skivhandel, Heavy Sound and the basement part of Rakk & Rall's. Holy shit, this is were the pension fund went to... just fantastic shops with a massive selection of all kinds of Metal, where you could spent half a day or more... one person from the former Helvete shop was selling off his collection at Rakk & Rall's in 1998, oh fuck that were terrible holidays in Scandinavia...
doomedplanet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you go to their current location? It is bigger. But yes, no metal of note there, but I guess random records could arrive.
Eigenbrötler wrote:

What surprised me the most, is that Mississippi records is on this list. I'm not sure how a store that's smaller than my bedroom is one of worlds best? The best and worst thing about Mississippi records is that the staff know absolutely nothing about metal whatsoever. It's good because they sometimes undervalue vinyl and you get yourselves a great deal. On that same note, they often over price as you can see the same exact LPs in stock time after time. No one in their right mind is going to pay 25 bucks for a repress of Kill em All.

They do have an eclectic selection of records you just don't see elsewhere in Portland, no doubt. Their huge disadvantage, at least in my mind, is their 'cash only' policy. They had a $90 box set I wanted, I had to wait for 6 months to buy it when I had the cash in hand AND happened to be in their store(I live 110 miles from the shop). They did say the price keeps most of their customers from buying it. I know I passed on it for that 6 months...
Weltbrand wrote:

I actually think that, at least in terms of being able to find records that aren't the same bin fodder at every other store, Mississippi does excel. I've gotten good finds from genres across the board at that place many times. Also the fact that they don't use the internet to price or sell records is often an advantage (but occasionally a disadvantage like you say).
SoundsOfDecay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petrificado wrote:
SoundsOfDecay wrote:
Petrificado wrote:
SoundsOfDecay wrote:
Petrificado wrote:
SoundsOfDecay wrote:
Some of those do look amazing (1st one and Tower especially), but I don't think this guy has ever been to Sound Machine (Reading) or Vinyl Tap (Huddersfield)

Wow, didn't expect to hear Sound Machine mentioned on here. Are you a local? Fucking fantastic record shop, unfortunately not been able to go in for a while now due to extreme skinniness, its too painful to look at records you know you can't afford.

I am! Been going there for almost 10 years now, always thought it was probably the best record shop around. I see they've changed owners again recently. Do you remember Replay? Sorely missed, the guy in there was great.

Just noticed I typed 'skinniness' and not 'skintness'. Odd typo...

I remember when they had the second shop in the Broad Street Mall, played a big part in my formative years. I moved back to Reading a year ago so became reacquainted with Sound Machine, always great stuff coming in. How recently do you mean regarding the owners? I haven't been in since February-ish. The fella round the corner has some interesting stuff too, Music Man is alright too.

Replay was the one in the Bristol & West Arcade right? Visited it once or twice but don't remember it too well. What about Rustys down the Oxford Road? That was a good place, managed to snag some good stuff when he was ckosing down.

Not sure how recently, could have been a year or more ago. The Indian looking guy who was running it for ages sold it. I faintly remember the other one in Broad Street, but I don't think I ever went in there. Rustys was great! I remember he had a stall in the market in town, where I got an Emperor hoody several years back, that I still wear even though it's starting to fall apart Laughing Yes, Replay was the one in B&W arcade, now sadly blocked off along with all the other shops that were in there, besides the hippie shop and the one that sells nothing but bags Rolling Eyes There was also Rock Box (that occupied what used to be the rest of Sound Machine in the Harris arcade, and is again now they've expanded) that had a good selection of merch and CDs. Their main place in Camberley always had a very good metal section if I recall and lots of good old vinyl.

As for Music Man, I have nothing to say about a shop that says "we buy stuff" above the door, but only when he's in the mood! A dude in a cash converter down the street referred to him as a "tight cunt" Laughing Still he always has a good selection of pedals and music gear.

Ah yeah, I remember that guy. Now its the friendly bloke Paul and his miserable sidekick. I don't remember the Rock Box part. The Music Man guy is a bit weird but he has some interesting records as well.

Always thought Reading, especially considering its size/proximity to London, is very well served for record buying. I lived in Birmingham for example, and the choice is utter shit.

I'm not sure who's who in that place these days, but a very friendly guy in there a few weeks ago gave me £40 for about 6 records I no longer wanted which I was very pleased with. A couple of weeks later a different guy gave me £15 for 22 records, granted most of them were singles but it was still like a slap in the face heh
Twilight Command

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weltbrand wrote:
Judging by most of the stores that made this list though, the woman who wrote it may want to dust off her dictionary and look up the meaning 'breathtaking'.

"Record stores that just make you fall to your knees due to intensity."
caligulasremains

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fork Tongue wrote:
Idk how many metal/punk based record stores there are around the world

the only one i know is smash records in adams morgan (used to be in georgetown, when i went there, 11 or 12 years ago). small but good selection. only been to two independent record stores in my life though and the other one shuttered their doors maybe 6 years ago but was much talked about for electronic music (it was called strangeland).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: