P R O D U C T I O N S
 
 FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 
 Profile 
 Log in to check your private messages 
 Log in 

MASSACRA: Entire catalogue to be released soon !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
everdarkgreen



Joined: 03 Oct 2011
Posts: 317

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psicoterror wrote:
Of course that you'll have to say it does sound good enough, it's your job after aLL and I can understand that. But the fact is that, even if it may sound "good enough", the CD version will definitedly sound better. A LP CAN'T fit 55 minutes of music without losing a significant ammount of sound quality when compared to the original source.

I just can't understand why anyone would buy a LP which sounds worse than the CD, honestly...
And why am I bitching about this in the first place? I do like the band, and wanted the LP, but now I'll have to pick up the CD because the LP version is certainly ruined...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Psicoterror



Joined: 09 May 2009
Posts: 398
Location: Lima

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservationist wrote:
Psicoterror wrote:
Well you don't have to be an audio nerd to figure out that records with longer playing times will sound worse than the original recording or even the cds.


I don't think it's a binary distinction.

They've been doing this for over a half-century, and there isn't a huge revolt against it.

Further, they're not stretching the 45min normal length all that far, so it's not even clear we're talking about a loss of dynamic range that even exists on these recordings.

Again, look at the fundamental issue here, which is that the source recording is probably not great either.


Ok, I don't want to make a drama out of this, but the reason why practically every label out there split the albums lasting over 50 min of music into 2 lps is basically to keep intact the sound quality of the original recordings and take advantage of the benefits that the format can offer.
I'll tell you what: don't pay attention to me. When this album is released, just buy both formats, cd and lp. Listen to both and then I'm dead sure that after you listen to the cd, then you won't listen to the LP again because it will sound noticeably inferior.
This release reminds me of that Evocation demo comp. released during last year. The playing time is almost identical and there are 3 different recordings as well. So, Century Media released it as a 3 sided- 2 lps, one side for each recording. It also came with a free cd containing the same material. And guess what: you can listen to either the cd or the LP and both sound equally good.
In this case there will be a noticeable difference. It doesn't matter if the original recording is of good quality or not.
_________________
Psicoterror'zine,
Our website is online again! Old interviews have been put online!
www.dark-hidden.com/psicoterror
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
drinks



Joined: 15 May 2011
Posts: 834

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that LPs closing in on 60 mins length often have 'groove echo', where during the silence between tracks you can faintly hear the music from the adjoining previous groove. I avoid anything over 40 mins in general, CD is cool with me.

The fact is, if the label had made it 2LP there would be an equal number of people complaining it cost too much / was unnecessary / etc etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Conservationist
banned


Joined: 25 Feb 2009
Posts: 2909

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psicoterror wrote:
Ok, I don't want to make a drama out of this, but the reason why practically every label out there split the albums lasting over 50 min of music into 2 lps is basically to keep intact the sound quality of the original recordings and take advantage of the benefits that the format can offer.


Yes, but in this case, that's like recording AM radio onto a gold LP to play back on your McIntosh system through gold tipped cables to pro-audio speakers floating on gel paks. There will not be a noticeable improvement.
_________________
DEATH METAL UNDERGROUND
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Psicoterror



Joined: 09 May 2009
Posts: 398
Location: Lima

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drinks wrote:
I notice that LPs closing in on 60 mins length often have 'groove echo', where during the silence between tracks you can faintly hear the music from the adjoining previous groove. I avoid anything over 40 mins in general, CD is cool with me.

The fact is, if the label had made it 2LP there would be an equal number of people complaining it cost too much / was unnecessary / etc etc.


You're right about the lps closing on 60 min length, and the best example of this is the Nordland series. The sound of the cd version is much better.
I don't think there would be people complaining at all, as the difference in price between 1 lp and a double LP is just a couple of bucks. But that difference in money will save the label a lot of production costs.
_________________
Psicoterror'zine,
Our website is online again! Old interviews have been put online!
www.dark-hidden.com/psicoterror
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Conservationist
banned


Joined: 25 Feb 2009
Posts: 2909

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psicoterror wrote:
the difference in price between 1 lp and a double LP is just a couple of bucks.


Do you think this is going to go down as more vinyl pressing plants come online, since vinyl is the thriving part of the physical music sales industry?
_________________
DEATH METAL UNDERGROUND
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
christhammer



Joined: 25 Sep 2008
Posts: 60
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Retard wrote:
1 vinyl for 3 Massacra Demos ?

why not use 5LP'S as usual ???



seriously, why not use a bonus 7inch single to the LP ?


The answer is simple: LP+7" is very expensive in production. Actually more than a 2LP but then people would have complained about stretching a mere 55min on 2 vinyls and even though the audiophile listeners would have appreciated that the people looking for a decent sounding vinyl at a decent price would have been upset. We went for the latter which is the most reasonable solution for a compilation of demos. However, I'll be making sure for the next releases I'm handling to avoid that risk.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Conservationist
banned


Joined: 25 Feb 2009
Posts: 2909

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with stretching to 2LPs is that then the temptation is to include inferior material in order to justify the longer play length. That's when labels dig out that early rehearsal the band did in a public toilet when drunk and half of it is out-of-key Venom covers.
_________________
DEATH METAL UNDERGROUND
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Psicoterror



Joined: 09 May 2009
Posts: 398
Location: Lima

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservationist wrote:
Psicoterror wrote:
the difference in price between 1 lp and a double LP is just a couple of bucks.


Do you think this is going to go down as more vinyl pressing plants come online, since vinyl is the thriving part of the physical music sales industry?


I have no idea about how do the pressing plants handle their economy, but if there's more demand for vinyls, then the price should go down. That is what happened to the cds anyway...

Well, according to your logic, you say that if the original recording sounds bad, then it doesn't matter how bad the vinyl pressing is because the final release will sound bad anyway. I don't see the point of doing that and therefore ruining the sound even more.

The reason behind all this blabbering is, as the Century Media guy already said, just a matter of saving up production costs, which is something that I `just can't understand especially coming from a big label such as Century Media, which took the care to release that Treblinka boxset filled with lots of bad sounding material into 5 lps!
Besides, the Massacra comp. doesn't sound bad, with the exception of the "legion.." demo. I do have the Nearer from death original tape and it sounds very good.
_________________
Psicoterror'zine,
Our website is online again! Old interviews have been put online!
www.dark-hidden.com/psicoterror
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Captain Retard



Joined: 09 Jun 2013
Posts: 868
Location: Silver City

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

christhammer wrote:
Captain Retard wrote:
1 vinyl for 3 Massacra Demos ?

why not use 5LP'S as usual ???



seriously, why not use a bonus 7inch single to the LP ?


The answer is simple: LP+7" is very expensive in production. Actually more than a 2LP but then people would have complained about stretching a mere 55min on 2 vinyls and even though the audiophile listeners would have appreciated that the people looking for a decent sounding vinyl at a decent price would have been upset. We went for the latter which is the most reasonable solution for a compilation of demos. However, I'll be making sure for the next releases I'm handling to avoid that risk.



o.k. understand this. but back in the days "From Beyond" was released with a one sided 7"inch bonus..
it's defitively difficult nowadays (he,he)
back in 1994/5 or so you were even lucky to get some vinyl format (picture disc or whatever it doesn't really matter ) from cool underground stuff.........
good records must be heard to death 'till the background noises take over the command in music...... over all the years hand in hand with the own earthly existence..... going together to the grave Smile

naah, i think i buy good old Massacra demos vinyl!!
_________________
Good time is tasteless
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
boogs



Joined: 18 Nov 2010
Posts: 372
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound quality of the demo LP is great! Really good work on this one. Not just some tape rip with hiss reduction.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lord puke



Joined: 06 Mar 2009
Posts: 209
Location: France

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ordered !!!!

also the 3 first albums of the band are sooooo good ! Will take them for sure !!!
_________________
Only the strong will survive !!!
http://www.everyoneweb.fr/thewayofforce/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SadisticChris



Joined: 31 Dec 2012
Posts: 80
Location: California

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if/when CMdistro.com will get copies of this?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Conservationist
banned


Joined: 25 Feb 2009
Posts: 2909

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Century Media release compilation of demos by legendary French death metal band Massacra



Celebrating the influence of this foundational band, Century Media will on November 4 release Day of the Massacra, a compilation of the re-mastered “Nearer From Death”, “Final Holocaust” and “Legion Of Torture” demos. The sound is surprisingly good, considering that the raw material comes from tape and isn’t easy to work with, although “Legion of Torture” sounds raw enough that no amount of modern technology can save it.

Massacra picked up the mantle of Slayer and Morbid Angel and crafted phrasal riffs into complex constructions which breathed pure energy but yet managed to take your breath away with their vast inner contrasts.

Massacra - Day of the Massacra review and audio samples

Album on sale at Century Media Europe

Video of "Apocalyptic Warriors" from the upcoming Massacra demo compilation Day of the Massacra
_________________
DEATH METAL UNDERGROUND
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
christhammer



Joined: 25 Sep 2008
Posts: 60
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SadisticChris wrote:
Does anyone know if/when CMdistro.com will get copies of this?


I asked my workmates in the States and CMDistro.com will carry copies of this approx. later in November. The transp. red vinyl will only be available through the Euro shop as it is limited to only 100 copies which hopefully are quickly gone, hehe. Hope this info helps!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group