P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Sentenced - Amok - love or hate
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caligari

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Sentenced - Amok - love or hate Reply with quote

Wondering what you fellas think about it. I recall digging it when it came out but growing thin with time. I was always bothered by the female background vocals and by somewhat lightweight production but the riffs were there and the vocals and melodies were strong. I recall giving it away years ago, now suddenly I feel like listening to it again.

wondering also how it stands in comparison to the rest of their discography, which i wasn't that familiar with.
Coming Soon: KLLK
szentofdeath

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it. My favorite Sentenced album, the demos aside.
Professor Black

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love. Easily my favorite from Sentenced, and right and up there with In the Nightside Eclipse in terms of being a true classic from the early 90s generation.

It's basically a pure heavy metal album in my opinion. Only many years later did I notice a bunch of Crimson Glory guitar licks. (The Bathory riff was noticeable instantly, of course.) All in all, great melodies and lucid songwriting.

I usually skip "Funeral Spring", although I fully approve of its place on the album. It makes the rest of the songs sound even better. Clunkers are important in that regard, ha.
gordeth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it. It's such a unique album. Most early fans of the band probably prefer the much more intense North from Here, but that album always sounded kind of forced to me for some reason. On Amok, it sounds like they decided to play what they like, which happened to be a weird mix of '80s heavy metal and gothic moodiness at that time. Definitely give it another try.
Tireheb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Black wrote:

I usually skip "Funeral Spring", although I fully approve of its place on the album. It makes the rest of the songs sound even better.

I usually skip Nepenthe. It's easily the most worn out track of the band (at least for me).

But yes, Amok approved here very much. Always liked the guitar work.
Unmakable

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could never really get into anything past The Trooper EP, but to be fair, I didn't really listen to the later stuff all that much. I honestly can't remember what Amok sounds like, but I'm listening now on Youtube and it's alright I guess. I suppose this is the point when their vaginas first started to develop.
ritualsodomy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good album for sure. Doesn't get nearly as much listens as Shadows, North from Here or the demos but still a solid album.
Tireheb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unmakable wrote:
I could never really get into anything past The Trooper EP

Trooper MCD is a strange case. Cover song is a throw away, but main focus goes on Desert by Night and that is not that far from the material of Amok! Actually it is a fitting transition between North From Here and Amok.
caligulasremains

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amok is not for me.

90-93 sentenced is excellent. shadows of past is Scream Bloody Gore worship mixed with some thrash influences, lower vocals. and North From Here is not. north from here is melodic death metal in the truest sense of the words, higher vocals. not nwobhm/power with harsh vocals like most of whats called melodic death metal. very good arrangements, the antithesis of the Death 'verse chorus bridge verse chorus' pop stuff.
Gia Thanatos

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tireheb wrote:
Trooper MCD is a strange case. Cover song is a throw away, but main focus goes on Desert by Night and that is not that far from the material of Amok! Actually it is a fitting transition between North From Here and Amok.

Just as "Love & Death" was a transition to more Goth edged fields of 'Down'.

About 'Amok', I absolutely love it. It's my favorite Sentenced album and their most personal one. As Professor Black said earlier, it's a Heavy Metal album in a lot of senses, yet it still retains some more aggressive tones from their past and at the same time introduces quite evident Goth (Fields of the Nephilim) influences both on the instrumental and vocal level.

Miika Tenkula is simply majestic, his riffs and choruses are full of feeling. Same for Taneli Jarva's vocals, which reach their highest peak here.

In terms of songs, I still love "Nepenthe", through which I discovered the record and the band, and whose video is simply perfect, as much as "The War Ain't Over" or "New Age Messiah", but I wouldn't skip any as I find all of them complementary, and the more experimental and Goth second part of the record is pure magic.

One of the top 10 records of my youth without any doubt.
Tireheb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gia Thanatos wrote:
Tireheb wrote:

Just as "Love & Death" was a transition to more Goth edged fields of 'Down'.

Actually there is plenty of gothic rock influences on Amok already (like you said). Anyone could notice how much Jarva's singing style reminds of Carl McCoy. Most notable on Funeral Springs.

Many blame Jarva for the style change from North to Amok. But really most of the music was written by Tenkula as usual (others did contribute too) so it was a collective effort from the band to move on. It's stated by all the members in the biography book too that after North From Here they needed to move on.
Yggdrasil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

North From Here was one of the biggest inspirations for later Gothenburg sound, along with Internal Decay.

Amok, real classic during that period, along Amorphis' Tales and Therion's Leppaca Cliffoth.

Down was the latest great effort, later on they went too poppy.

Great band, and tragic, lyricwise, but also concerning the early death of their main guitar player.
Gia Thanatos

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yggdrasil wrote:
Amok, real classic during that period, along Amorphis' Tales and Therion's Leppaca Cliffoth.

Well, you mentioned two of my other top albums of those times.
Gia Thanatos

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tireheb wrote:
It's stated by all the members in the biography book too that after North From Here they needed to move on.

Which book are you speaking about?
Is it published in English?
Tireheb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gia Thanatos wrote:
Tireheb wrote:
It's stated by all the members in the biography book too that after North From Here they needed to move on.

Which book are you speaking about?
Is it published in English?

https://www.recordshopx.com/book/sentenced/taalta_pohjoiseen_sentencedin_tarina/

It is the official biography book about the band that goes through the whole career. All the members alive are interviewed. So far available only in Finnish. But very recommended, even if one would not care for the later albums but all the stories about tours and recording sessions are great read.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: