P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Best city (for metal, etc.) in CA? Moving...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackarts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Best city (for metal, etc.) in CA? Moving... Reply with quote

I've been considering moving to California for quite some time - I've heard good and bad things about all the major cities there, and I would like to get some more opinions... I've actually never been there, but I hate where I live on the East coast and want to move as far away as possible. Plus I've heard really good things about the West coast. I mainly want to know which areas I should check out.

Which areas have the best music scenes/record stores/whatever? I've been mainly considering San Diego because of what I've heard about the consistency in nice weather, but haven't heard anything music-related. I've heard San Francisco has awesome record stores.

Anything would help - generic internet forums haven't really helped at all so far. Thanks, dudes.
Nichts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in San Diego. Its a really great place to live. Nice weather, clear air, and quite a pretty city. But you're right, there is not much here in terms of music... there are a few record shops around but nothing really "metal". We don't get a lot of shows either. I'm not saying there isn't any, but just not as much.

For good stores and live shows we usually have to drive up to LA (which has many) and bands come visit there all the time. Only problem is that LA is a rat hole and pollution is really bad, its really not someplace I like to spend any prolonged period of time in, even though I went to college there...

I don't know much about SF, but I'm sure there are people here who can share info!

Last edited by Nichts on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Black Mass Ritual
banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Los Angeles = Glam fags, money, pussy, bitches, and power.
San Francisco = Bums, Liberals, Hippies, Metal, and great record stores.

I guess it all depends on what you want from your location. The cost of living in California is pretty major(especially in the Bay Area).

Last edited by Black Mass Ritual on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
jv

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Black Mass Ritual"]Los Angeles = thrash fags, cholos, entry level metal sluts, latinas.
caligulasremains

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Best city (for metal, etc.) in CA? Moving... Reply with quote

blackarts wrote:
I've been considering moving to California for quite some time - I've heard good and bad things about all the major cities there, and I would like to get some more opinions... I've actually never been there, but I hate where I live on the East coast and want to move as far away as possible. Plus I've heard really good things about the West coast. I mainly want to know which areas I should check out.

Which areas have the best music scenes/record stores/whatever? I've been mainly considering San Diego because of what I've heard about the consistency in nice weather, but haven't heard anything music-related. I've heard San Francisco has awesome record stores.

Anything would help - generic internet forums haven't really helped at all so far. Thanks, dudes.

go to colorado instead! that's where i'm going to move next year, i also have lived on the east coast of america for far too long.
Ragingwinter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santa Cruz.
Chit019

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jv wrote:
Los Angeles = thrash fags, cholos, entry level metal sluts, latinas.

You say that like its a bad thing.
HELLTHRASHER -l-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviews are nothing. Try visiting all 3 major cities first and see if what you're looking for is in them. Chances are it may be opposite of what you had in mind or expected.
Some prefer the lifestyles of LA
Some prefer the lifestyles of SF.
. and hopefully you're loaded/have a good stable gig planned out here. CA is not too affordable these days.
http://www.freewebs.com/metalstormzine/
Chit019

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eat tacos and worship Satan
Hanshan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Oakland? I've heard crime rate is bad, but I'm guessing the music scene is pretty ace.
blackarts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the information so far! Much appreciated. Will definitely be checking out San Francisco and San Diego, and while I'm in Southern California I might as well go up to LA.
WarInvocator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Los Angeles, and I would advise you to stay away, and here are a few reasons why:

1. Way too overpopulated. Traffic day and night.
2. All of LA looks like shit. Nothing really of scenic value. Even Hollywood is shitty looking.
3. The black/death/thrash metal "scene" here sucks. Nothing but a bunch of ghetto talking try hards. (The girls are easy though, i'll give it that much credit)
4. Not too many metal related shops (except Dark Realm Records, owned by the Cortez brothers of Sadistic Intent, in case you didn't know. But this alone isn't worth moving here.)

If I had to move to California, I would choose to live in the San Francisco bay area, or somewhere close to it. At least you'll be close to Yosuke Laughing
Blutkvlt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELLTHRASHER -l- wrote:

hopefully you're loaded/have a good stable gig planned out here. CA is not too affordable these days.

Look forward to paying almost $1000/mo to live in a fucking shit apartment in niggerville, if you can even find one. If you have a roommate, you can probably live somewhere decent for about $1400/mo. If you're trying to get employed here, you're more than likely fucked too. As for metal, most good UG bands make stops here, all of the bigger bands tour through, a few decent record shops (though you're really unlikely to find anything amazing or that you can't get online for a few bucks less); Dark Realm is worth visiting for the store alone and the SI dudes are cool. LA "scene" is basically a Chuck E. Cheese with patch vests. jv summed it up about right.

MY TRADELIST/WANTLIST:
http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21928
Kaos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanshan wrote:
How about Oakland? I've heard crime rate is bad, but I'm guessing the music scene is pretty ace.

If you can afford the astronomical cost of living outside of ghettos or have access to roommates OR feel comfortable living in Richmond or Oakland, I would recommend living in the general Bay Area. The weather is typically cold to mild. People are generally inviting. Left to Far-left political leanings are the norm, and activism within that segment of the political spectrum is a common spectacle. The majority of the people here have been brainwashed to demonize firearms. Successful issuance of a Concealed Carry Permit is only slightly less impossible compared to LA until you settle at least as far north as Mendocino (or head in the direction of Sacramento) as the Police Chief will demand a Good Cause on your application (which may illegally-at-the-Federal-level cost $500 to try and dissuade you) that will much more than likely be denied and deemed "unnecessary" even if you live in an area with consistent criminal activity. Depending on the area, the women are a little easier and usually of a different type than the usual LA party-slut and as such have different interests. Illicit substances can had very, very easily. Famous universities are in, or in the surrounding area. Metal and punk have a vibrant scene surrounding Oakland and San Francisco. There are frequent gigs, spanning many genres. Record stores are everywhere. Art and dance scenes are even more prevalent. The food has an artisan flair in many areas. Yes, traffic is present, but it is not as much of a constant clusterfuck as Studio City or Hollywood. There is always something/one to do.
john matrix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rent and beer in Sacramento is cheap as shit. It's close to the mountains and close enough to the Bay Area that trips out there for shows are pretty easy. Not much of note actually happens here though. And the weather blows beyond belief.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: