P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Double LP's
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grimith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Double LP's Reply with quote

Wondering what peoples opinion is on a double record opposed to a single LP release. Im finding a lot of releases these days a 2LP, and honestly its a bit of a turn off having to change the record around just to listen to an album. Maybe its just me being damned lazy, but i would really only just want to flip it, then put it away to listen to an album.
gravesnatcher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IXTAB?
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the length of the initial recording doesn't it?
The era of the CD sure seemed to amp up lengths of recordings... now those CD albums must fit this current vinyl revival.
Chuck W.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, I think it's a way to make the LP more expensive, 3 sided double LPs are kind of bullshit, why not make use of the space and put the album in 45rpms?

I DO notice one thing about double LPs pressed in the last 4 years, you cannot fit the fucking records in the sleeve. The records will not fit and the paper sleeves become crumpled up, most records are sold with the fucking record outside of the goddamn sleeve. Is this a selling presentation choice? Why no, it's because it won't fit in the fucking sleeve! Is there some miscommunication going on between the record plant and sleeve printer, metric vs imperial? Is it just way things are nowadays?

I'm selling a shitload of records and CDs from my collection http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44647
Carlzilla

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my preference not to have to change LPs half-way through, so I usually opt for a CD over a DLP in almost every case. The exception is compilations, I don't mind compilations spanning multiple albums, as it usually doesn't ruin the flow.

I can deal with flipping a record, but something about having to take it off, put it away, take the next one out and put it on, and then flip that one in about 20 minutes, really takes me out of the listening experience.

I hadn't even heard of a "3 sided DLP" until that Nuclearhammer one that NWN just did. Seems lame to me...22 minutes fits on one side of an LP, so it just seems gimmicky to me.

And now we have fags complaining about other fags. A "fagoboros" if you will.

http://www.last.fm/user/carlzilla
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The songs didn't divide up well for four sides and it was too long for a single LP.

Also file this thread under first world problem bro.

Web: nwnprod.com

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

Attic Snake

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind. I like records. That's why I buy vinyl. Getting 2 instead of 1 just adds to it. I don't mind changing the records. It's part of the experience. Makes you pay attention to the music instead of letting it move into the background. Even if it only takes 3 of the 4 sides of a DLP a lot of the time you get an added bonus of a cool etching. Nothing really to complain about. If I'm doing the dishes or something time consuming where i can't flip a record every 20 minutes I'll listen to something different or use iTunes. No big whoop.

"Boss Metalzone sucks dicks. It makes femmy noises and it sounds like a weak nerd with glasses limping to the pharmacy to buy allergy pills."
invinCIBility

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.discogs.com/Rancid-The-Essentials-20th-Anniversary-Edition/release/4364742
Steelcrown

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck W. wrote:
I I DO notice one thing about double LPs pressed in the last 4 years, you cannot fit the fucking records in the sleeve. The records will not fit and the paper sleeves become crumpled up, most records are sold with the fucking record outside of the goddamn sleeve. Is this a selling presentation choice? Why no, it's because it won't fit in the fucking sleeve! Is there some miscommunication going on between the record plant and sleeve printer, metric vs imperial? Is it just way things are nowadays?

Blame that one pressing plant whose name shall not be mentioned here and their tragic inability to handle things the way they're supposed to.

On topic, yes I do fucking loathe DLPs, especially when there's no actual need to have the album pressed on two separate records, as in the case of albums being under 50min of playing time. That, gatefold covers (completely useless waste of space on the shelves) and 180gr records are the ultimate misfortunes of vinyl industry AD 2014
"There were some posers, some guy said they are probably antifa. One of them was outside eating when MGLA were playing, when he had a MGLA patch. Either he is a trendy or an antifa. The same looser never reacted when I made him the finger."
Buried In Ohio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck W. wrote:
most records are sold with the fucking record outside of the goddamn sleeve.

usually this is done for shipping reasons. So the vinyl doesn't tear big holes in the seams of your jacket during transit.

I honestly can't for the life of me understand how anyone who as been listening to records for more than a couple months can keep trying to shove their paper sleeves back in to the jacket. JUST PUT THE FUCKING THING IN THE JACKET SLEEVE! Not only will it not destroy the paper sleeve (which no matter how careful you are will eventually catch on something and rip) but it's infinitely more convenient when actually trying to take out/put away a record.
astralprison

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelcrown wrote:
gatefold covers (completely useless waste of space on the shelves)

Now you're just being ridiculous.

It's also way more annoying when they shove two LP's into a non-gatefold cover.
dronevil

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3-sided DLP's are alright imo, especially for recordings that are under 60 mins. It's annoying to have a 50 minute album over 4 sides and having to flip the side every 12 minutes or so, unless they were cut at 45rpm then at least we get better sound quality.

astralprison wrote:
It's also way more annoying when they shove two LP's into a non-gatefold cover.

As long as the spine is wide enough it's alright imo. IE 7 Chalices and lots of Temporary Residence releases.
Grimith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlzilla wrote:

I hadn't even heard of a "3 sided DLP" until that Nuclearhammer one that NWN just did. Seems lame to me...22 minutes fits on one side of an LP, so it just seems gimmicky to me.

I understand its a timing thing and what have you especially a re-release album onto vinyl. Another example is the new Mayhem on vinyl, i just bought it on CD for this reason, its only a 47min long record, why 2 LP's i asků.?
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't like records, why worry about it?
If you don't like flipping them, don't buy them.

Does this really require some deeper understanding? There is nothing to uncover, no mystic magical missing element others have that you do not.

Buy the cd, buy the tape. Buy the LP ...don't buy any. Who cares?

Buy an album from any format if something is interesting to a specific release. Nobody gives a damn, if they do... they must be quite bored.

Thread is totally solved and resolved. Next.
Grief

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy a couple if those tt's that play both sides. I have seen some that do this vertically but I recall seeing one that was horizontal and had a motorised arm that flipped over at the end of a side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: