P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Problem with Back On Black records?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Problem with Back On Black records? Reply with quote

I noticed that a few people on this board have complained about Back On Black, but now I can't remember exactly what the complaints were. Recently I got a few Judas Priest and couple Venom LPs, from Back on Black. The records themselves are really nice looking and well done, so I'm guessing it's a problem with the sound quality? I've listened to the records a good number of times and I think they sound decent enough, but it seems like they could possibly sound a little better. Anyway, just wondering what the opinions are here and if I should maybe look for different versions of records, instead of BoB.
DrkKnight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Emperor - Nightside Eclipse is the worst! I traded it back into a local store, got $14 credit, threw in a few bucks of my own and got the Candelight first press on LP. VAST difference.

Good deals: Travis N., xyosefx, Dark Descent, captainretardo
N.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrkKnight wrote:
The Emperor - Nightside Eclipse is the worst! I traded it back into a local store, got $14 credit, threw in a few bucks of my own and got the Candelight first press on LP. VAST difference.

What exactly was your problem with the Emperor record?
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thread different day. Early bob stuff sucked, newer releases aren't bad at all.
derelict

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
Same thread different day. Early bob stuff sucked, newer releases aren't bad at all.

Yep, place has definitely stepped it up since for sure. I was disappointed when they reissued the burzum lps later with gatefolds and heavy vinyl, but that was because I bought all of them in one foul swoop beforehand. Ah well, really don't care about it anymore anyway. Wonder if those shitty first presses will ever be worth anything, they didn't seem to have done very many.
N.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:

Sorry about this, I just couldn't find the threads relating to BoB issues. But despite everything I think this label's intentions are right - to rerelease classic albums on vinyl.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N. wrote:
DrkKnight wrote:

What exactly was your problem with the Emperor record?

The sound SUCKS on that record, that's the problem. Its very quite and has zero dynamics. It's just totally flat sounding. But yes, in recent years, the label has gotten quite a bit better so I no longer avoid their releases like the plague.
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derelict wrote:
GoldenBull wrote:

Yep, place has definitely stepped it up since for sure. I was disappointed when they reissued the burzum lps later with gatefolds and heavy vinyl, but that was because I bought all of them in one foul swoop beforehand. Ah well, really don't care about it anymore anyway. Wonder if those shitty first presses will ever be worth anything, they didn't seem to have done very many.

I think my copy of Deathcrush is one of these early "shit" pressings. my biggest beef with BoB aside from the occasional pixelated cover and/or questionable mix would have to be that almost ALL my BoB records show up with seam splits. whack!
peterott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obituary - Xecutioner's Return was downgraded by horrible sound-fuckups.
N.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have the (BoB) Darkthrone - Under A Funeral Moon pic disc LP? How does it sound? I found a copy for around $18.
blewcheer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another BoB thread, and it's soon to turn into yet-another picture disc sound quality discussion. Nice. Laughing
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N. wrote:
Does anyone have the (BoB) Darkthrone - Under A Funeral Moon pic disc LP? How does it sound? I found a copy for around $18.

I had this at one point and got rid of it once the peaceville standard version hit the market again. I had nothing to compare it side by side with, however the sound didnt seem that bad to me...
ADB

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blewcheer wrote:
Another BoB thread, and it's soon to turn into yet-another picture disc sound quality discussion. Nice. Laughing

Closely followed by the analogue / digital arguments, uuuuugh....
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOB releases are lifeless in look and sound. Yeah all LP's are digital now, all BOB releases are probably from remastered CD editions with brickwalls on them, however even in the packaging (and all its seam split glory as mentioned, this is one thing that can be counted on when i buy them) it's often time the same if not worse than the most common CD versions i've seen, yet sells for 2-3x as much.

Unfortunately in some cases originals are 5 times more than the new versions, maybe even higher than that in the case of mayhem/burzum type reissues so it will be some time until i can replace them all unless i find one for a reasonable price along my searches.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I know personally for me they do just look cookie cutter - I prefer when a reissue is done with care rather than looking like an assembly line product.... I don't need to own the Burzum, Mayhem or Emperor records on vinyl is they're going to look pixelated and sell for a small fortune, I bought the CDs eons ago.... I'd love if they were given the treatment they deserve but for me, regardless of the sound, I feel like I'd be paying a ton of money for something of average quality..... and I'd rather support labels that are really doing an excellent job in releasing albums than buying a larger version of a CD I bought a decade ago.....

I mean those Slayer LPs look like shit......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: