P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Black Ivory Tower (magazine info + pics)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
In Solitude

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really looking forward to it, since SUMMONING is supreme. I just can't stand that ATLANTEAN KODEX album though; makes me wish I could find something of value in it...
Onge Bakstra

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also did the cool thing and made a FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/blackivorytower

All underground bands/webzines do it nowadays. Cool
Black Ivory Tower zine #1 - 'Interbellum' available now!
In Solitude

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent you an e-mail.
Onge Bakstra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Just letting you know that the ambition of turning this into a magazine hasn't been abandoned; it just costs (even) more time and work than I had previously anticipated.

But, we're currently generating content for the magazine, most of which will be exclusive. Mind that we're not simply cutting content from the website to force you to pay for it.

The articles in the magazine are not suited for the website for various reasons, either because an album has already been discussed on the website (Maximus wrote an excellent review on Peste Noire's s/t); because the review style is much more experimental (I wrote the Drudkh review when I was not entirely sober Rolling Eyes); or because we write about other genres of music than what you're used to on the website.

In short, the magazine will be an addition to the website, and not a replacement. You might have noticed, however, that I haven't contributed to much to the website myself as of late, but that's because I have only so much time to distribute between writing, working a full-time job and one part-time job. I hope you'll forgive the lower activity, although I'll try to fill it up as much as possible with worthwhile guest contributions.

A few more details I can reveal about the magazine:
- It will focus primarily on Eastern European bands.
- We'll cram as much shit into it as possible to make sure you get your money's worth.
- I'll feature some old articles that really deserve to be published in print, such as my lovely Dub Buk review.
- The magazine will be sold at or even below cost price because I have never had commercial intentions.
- It'll take a while before it's done because the design alone will eat up a lot of time.
- After this is released I will go on holiday to Spain because I'm spending more time behind a computer than is good for me. Hopefully there will be a Spanish maiden to serve me cold drinks. (Mándame un mensaje si tienes interés.)

~Degtyarov
harmless

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why are you anti-anthony fantano?
Onge Bakstra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I despise this tedious 'outsider looking in' concept of pseudo-funny YT kids talking about stuff they don't even begin to understand under the guise of open-mindedness. His PN review was a particularly deplorable example of this.

Anyway, I don't really care about him; the logo was just a silly joke on my behalf. I also have one with Hunter Hunt Hendrix.
Onge Bakstra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who haven't yet noticed it, I created a humble FB page for the ol' Tower in order to channel some of the more random and useless thoughts instead of littering the website with them (which sometimes occurred in the past).

https://www.facebook.com/blackivorytower

It isn't very trve, but I am totally nihilistic and self-destructive now that Sven Kramer snubbed the 10km speed skating event FOR THE SECOND TIME IN A ROW so I don't care.
harmless

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onge Bakstra wrote:
I despise this tedious 'outsider looking in' concept of pseudo-funny YT kids talking about stuff they don't even begin to understand under the guise of open-mindedness. His PN review was a particularly deplorable example of this.

Anyway, I don't really care about him; the logo was just a silly joke on my behalf. I also have one with Hunter Hunt Hendrix.

Are you talking about this review? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJM08F9aQtw

I don't watch his reviews that much but those I've seen have been pretty informative and he takes his time with what he's doing. I prefer them over many of the reviews I see in modern Metal media where it's just "this album will appeal to fans of .... and ...".
thus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onge Bakstra wrote:
Hi everyone

A printed magazine? Good idea, I might actually read that. It seemed to me odd that such apparently good material was languishing on a website/blog. (I've heard it's good -- mainly from you, of course).
Onge Bakstra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tower strikes back with a new review, and it is every bit as drawn-out and borderline overbearing as can be expected! This time around, we discuss the obscure Belarusian band Kamaedzitca and its estoric 2012 album Voiceless are your words. Read why this otherworldly music produced by two Slavic MMA fighter types is well worth overcoming the initial estrangement one might experience when first learning of this project's existence.

To the gym for the Motherland - Kamaedzitca and the East tradition

English version (click)
Dutch version (klik)

Excerpts:

"With the multi-layeredness of its lyrics, Kamaedzitca positions itself far above the propagandistic music that shows more interest in the explicit transfer of a message than it does in the delicate exposition of a captivating story. The near-esoteric approach that the Belarusians opt for on this album inevitably results in not everybody being able to comprehend what they are talking about, definitively dismantling the interpretation of this work as the umpteenth flagrant brainwashing attempt; the mere presence of a poetic dimension is in itself more than sufficient to place 'Voiceless are your words' outside the field of rash propaganda music."

"With a regularity more reliable than a politician telling a lie, some inexplicably popular band throws two or more musical genres in a blender to form its own sound. Why? “Because we can, dude.” Punk and jazz, what a smashing idea! And it is only natural that we, the commoners, give a standing ovation to the unchained creative genius that mustered up the courage to make a connection between these two illogical elements."

"Whether it is the entire Norwegian avant-garde movement of the ’90s (Ved Buens Ende, Dødheimsgard), or individual bands with a peculiar style, they are all guilty of the same glaring error: they have for some reason convinced themselves that purposefully seeking out the ‘weird’ and the ‘illogical’ automatically leads them to an original sound. Sadly for them, true innovation is not found by merely positioning oneself against the norm like some spotty teeny bopper, but rather it is encountered through an instrinsic motivation to create something beautiful regardless of whether or not it abides to the rulebook of a particular genre."

"The return of a fitness ideal that transcends masturbatory self-complacency does not only clarify why the approach of the band may seem confusing at first, but it goes on to explain why the music itself may initially come across as convoluted. From the martial arts subculture, Kamaedzitca exports musical influences that one would be hard-pressed to encounter in the work of any of the other artists in the genre. Present on the album is a rich amount of elements from other musical styles, such as electronics, hardcore, and at times even a whiff of rap. Each of them provides the compositions with a worked up MMA atmosphere, an additional result of which is that many a track on this album is more than suitable as a soundtrack for weight-lifting sessions, or street brawls if that is your fancy."

Now excuse me as I go get some sunlight.
Onge Bakstra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and for you folks who hate this white-text-on-black-background ordeal:

http://degtyarovthesecond.wordpress.com/2014/04/05/to-the-gym-for-the-motherland/

Wink
Onge Bakstra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now for something completely different. The latest Black Ivory Tower review is a guest contribution by Mr. MDL. In an erudite, educated fashion, he unfolds the aesthetic of the controversial American act Velvet Cacoon, aided by a strong pen and added poetic ability. Perhaps it is not the kind of band you would normally expect to be featured on this site, but the extensive analytical approach is as appropriate as always.

Withering in Luxury - On Velvet Cacoon's narcotic decadence

English version (click)
Dutch version (klik)

Excerpts:

"Imagery of luxury, decadence & isolation (in the Huysmans 'À rebours' vein), slumbering narcotics, sea spray, autumnal scents, lethargy, Victorian furniture mingle with the more classical references to snows and forests in [the band's previous] albums, all of which are thoroughly recommended. However, in Atropine we see the aesthetical themes and undulating sounds which captivated the listener in Velvet Cacoon’s back catalogue taken to their logical conclusion, in a sprawling dark ambient journey spanning roughly two hours."

"These efforts have alienated them from some of the traditional BM fanbase, which somehow doubt they would lose sleep over, but somehow all these events fit into the idea of the VC Gesamtkunstwerk; fashioning a dream world in which one’s art can live and draw breath."

"Grafting words onto eachother in order to conjure emotive or iconographical responses in the listener’s mind has been a feature of the Velvet Cacoon discography; one just has to skim through their previous outings to come across the aforementioned “Winterglow”, in which a mellowed acoustic guitar line and a lack of reverb brings an immediacy, intimacy and – paradoxically for black metal – a cosiness to the sound which reflects the title."

"Atropine is one of those rare albums which gives the listener an utterly absorbing and timeless atmosphere, through the use of minimal drones and glacial tones."

Who would'a thunk it, eh?
Onge Bakstra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: We already found a designer, so this does not apply anymore.

With the crafting of the first Black Ivory Tower magazine well underway, there is still a part, a rather important one even, that is not covered.

We're not looking for something 100% hip and professional, but just a nice cover to go with the rest of the magazine. I do not have many specific demands for it, other than:

- A4 format (including margin obv)
- preferably a dark/black cover as that goes best with our aesthetic
- colour can be used but it is not obligatory

Other than that, just use your imagination as you are more knowledgeable in this area than I am.

If you think you are up for the job, contact me (send me a PM or e-mail blackivorytower AT gmail DOT com), and we'll discuss the details.

Even though this magazine is a non-profit ordeal for me personally, I am of course prepared to compensate you for your efforts within the borders of the reasonable. So in your e-mail, please include what you ask for your services.

I can also send you some example articles in PDF format so you can get a good grasp at what we are going for aesthetically.

Danke.

Last edited by Onge Bakstra on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Onge Bakstra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're still working on the magazine. Here's an update explaining more details.

Magazine update

Onge Bakstra

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The magazine cover has been revealed, and you can view via the link below. Artwork by Maya K. The text is a placeholder.

The zine will be released this summer. It will be quite the cultural phenomenon.

AMOR TRANSIT, BELLUM MANET

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: