P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Why buying CDs/demos is essential
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Why buying CDs/demos is essential Reply with quote

Quote:

The fact that metal music is no longer found exclusively in physical media removes much of that precious ‘aura’ that can accompany physical art objects. Demo tapes were exciting and mysterious objects because one had to ‘work’ to track them down. In the 1990s, I remember hearing rumours that there was a Pakistani metal band who had released a demo, something that seemed impossibly obscure and exotic at the time. I tried and failed to track down their tape, but I did track down others from faraway metal lands like the Phillipines and Peru and there was always a delightful frisson when tapes from distant lands finally arrived in the mail. Today, there isn’t much frisson to googling something and finding it. Stripped of the aura, rare and obscure metal recordings become much more mundane.

Keith Kahn-Harris, "Too Much Metal," Souciant, November 29, 2013.
Temular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have to buy everything that I like, but chances are, if I can get what I like for a decent price, then I'll happily part with the cash. Fans of metal/underground metal are too materialistic and whine all of the time on the net about, ''this album/record didn't come with a load of packaging/artwork extras and therefore is shit''. Really, what ever happened to buying a cd/vinyl/tape just for the music?

When I buy a cd or a tape, I buy it, and if I'm not playing it, it goes in the rack/my car. Who gives a fuck about the packaging. Seems like this notion I'm talking about is lost in the older days - where the music was the deal, not how many ''lost'' or ''rare'' photos and assorted shit you could fit into a release/re-issue.
SoundsOfDecay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been glad to just get my hands on a CD copy of an album I've been looking for, just for the music and nothing else. Anything else is a bonus and often quite unnecessary
Temular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Correct.
Aspidis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im quite positive towards the internet.
First because I was never crazy about the "belong to the scene" thing.
Dumb people like Coca Cola. Dumb people will like the same music I do.

Second because ever since I got internet access in my late teens there was always new music being discovered, metal and non-metal.
Can't imagine how many bands I discovered or just remembered their existence online and bought the physical version of them. From an online store.
So the aura was never lost to me...

What drives me crazy nowadays is the materialistic thing towards ultra limited vinyl editions and all.
And all this nonsense of albums released already on 2000's being rare.
A 2011 release rare? Rolling Eyes
ritualsodomy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoundsOfDecay wrote:
I have always been glad to just get my hands on a CD copy of an album I've been looking for, just for the music and nothing else. Anything else is a bonus and often quite unnecessary

This.
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDs and demos aren't the same.

I don't care about getting CDs directly from a band, the demo tape they spent some time dubbing or cutting and folding the cover on the other hand...
Holocaust

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aspidis wrote:

What drives me crazy nowadays is the materialistic thing towards ultra limited vinyl editions and all.
And all this nonsense of albums released already on 2000's being rare.
A 2011 release rare? Rolling Eyes

It isn't rare, maybe price goes up because of the demand... It's only worth the amount if people are willing to spend that much money on it, which makes it "rare". But if pressed in 2011 or even in the 2000s you can find it most likely. Perhaps limited tapes and demos are rare if pressed in small amounts, and no one wants to sell them. Vinyl is usually 300+ always so you can find it... just depends on the demand for specific items.
Exitium

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservationist wrote:
Quote:

The fact that metal music is no longer found exclusively in physical media removes much of that precious ‘aura’ that can accompany physical art objects. Demo tapes were exciting and mysterious objects because one had to ‘work’ to track them down. In the 1990s, I remember hearing rumours that there was a Pakistani metal band who had released a demo, something that seemed impossibly obscure and exotic at the time. I tried and failed to track down their tape, but I did track down others from faraway metal lands like the Phillipines and Peru and there was always a delightful frisson when tapes from distant lands finally arrived in the mail. Today, there isn’t much frisson to googling something and finding it. Stripped of the aura, rare and obscure metal recordings become much more mundane.

Very much accurate.
spectre

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any music I have I own a physical copy of.
Maim to Please

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to own physical copies of albums and demos, and so do a lot of the people here I'm sure.

Being obsessed with how everything used to be so much better in the 80's and 90's is pointless. Some people like to get their music digitally more than having physical copies. Who cares?
Pestkrieg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exitium wrote:
Conservationist wrote:
Quote:

Very much accurate.

I like physical objects much more myself, but the magic is in the aura of the music itself. The popularity or accessibility of Under a Funeral Moon takes nothing from it. I do agree that physicality forces/enables people at attach more value to things, but a yearning for the times when demos took effort to obtain seems like a disguised elitist moan at the fact that more people (or the 'wrong' people can hear previously obscure music. I'm not sure that the ability to send a letter with cash in it needs so much praise.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maim to Please wrote:

Being obsessed with how everything used to be so much better in the 80's and 90's is pointless.
Hvit Varulv

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll be the first one to stand on the other side - I find CDs and any physical objects quite unnecessary.
Most of music I listen to is from YouTube - I type the name of the song/band and listen to it. I don't even have MP3s of some of the songs I listen to.
When I go out, I only take my mobile phone with me, so if I want to listen to something and don't want to use YouTube, the next option is to play it from the memory card, that means MP3. If I had a CD, I need to rip it and copy it to the memory card, but the fastest option is to simply download it from the internet straight to the phone.
And when I'm home and don't want to use YouTube, all my music is on my external HDD, which is constantly connected to the PC, so I can listen to whatever I want without having to look for the CD.
Moreover if I had to store each album I have on a physical CD, I'd need another room in my house.

Yes, there's no adventure in it and I admit there was something about looking for a record which was difficult to find, but for practical reasons I prefer MP3s.
glwdrk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hvit Varulv wrote:
Ok, I'll be the first one to stand on the other side - I find CDs and any physical objects quite unnecessary.
Most of music I listen to is from YouTube - I type the name of the song/band and listen to it. I don't even have MP3s of some of the songs I listen to.
When I go out, I only take my mobile phone with me, so if I want to listen to something and don't want to use YouTube, the next option is to play it from the memory card, that means MP3. If I had a CD, I need to rip it and copy it to the memory card, but the fastest option is to simply download it from the internet straight to the phone.
And when I'm home and don't want to use YouTube, all my music is on my external HDD, which is constantly connected to the PC, so I can listen to whatever I want without having to look for the CD.
Moreover if I had to store each album I have on a physical CD, I'd need another room in my house.

Yes, there's no adventure in it and I admit there was something about looking for a record which was difficult to find, but for practical reasons I prefer MP3s.

Just wait until your harddrive crashes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: