P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Best guitar pedals/amps/set-ups?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenmonster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Best guitar pedals/amps/set-ups? Reply with quote

I'm curious as to what people have found is the best set-up for guitars/amps/pedals for their various projects and musical endeavours! Discuss?
holy ghost

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an awesome gear thread around hear somewhere. I'll try to find it and bump it. Lots of cool boards and guitars.....
mananddjinn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the project. I used to rely on 5150 and whatever cab I owned at the time loaded with v30s. Very effective and fulfilled basic tonal needs for black metal, but it's a pretty generic sounding setup. I've since sold those things and am rebuilding my rig, but in the meantime i've been using a Sunn Concert Lead and it sounds surprisingly good with a boost in front of it. Not bad for a solid state amp.
Feuersturm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love playing guitar, but I HATE all the technical hodgepodge around it. I don't understand any of it, all I know is what sounds right. I've used a Zoom 505 II before but the power cable broke so I got a Behringer V-Amp 2 and I've been using that for the last 7 or 8 years. It's like the goddamn Enigma machine. I have some 13 year old Hiwatt amp too. Or maybe it's a speaker. Or an amp.

One day I guess I'll just walk into a music store and tell them to put together a decent setup for me.
Valgrinder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When recording something, not one single time have I got proper guitar sound when micing the amp & cabin. It always lacks distortion or have somehow dickless sound. So recording through line-in isnt that bad thing at all.

When I jam alone I usually play with shitty DIY equipments. Usually its this old ghettopblaster tapedeck which has own aux in. Really crude sound cause can play it at full volume without waking the whole neighbourhood.

I also hate that who-has-the-best-equipment-contest that many "musician" seem to have. Maybe its just me but dont hear so much differencies between 100 or 1000 euros equipments.

Got some Behringer V-amp also but it doesent have what I was looking for
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mix of original 5150 and Engl Powerballs for Cruciamentum.

I've recently sold the 5150 and bought a JCM 800 though, I'm currently using a Blackstar HT-Distx with it, but if anyone has any other suggestions for good distortion pedals, then please - let me know!

I've also had to downgrade from the oversized Mesa Boogie 4x12 cab to a Carvin Legacy 4x12 - I'm not entirely happy with this though, it could be that I'm not accustomed to the sound of it, but there seems to be something not quite right in the mid-range. Perhaps without the ultra thick grill, the V30s aren't actually that great and I should try something else out?
The Prophet Muhammad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For live, nothing beats the raw power of a tube amp. 6505 or 5150 is my preference.

Attempts to make it sound good in studio will generally end in failure unless you know what mic to use, how to place it and how to properly EQ the track afterwards. Recording guitars is a bitch. A lot of the time, people are too eager to begin recording and they overlook the tone, then have to re-record everything when their recordings sound like an evacuating ass.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Prophet Muhammad wrote:
For live, nothing beats the raw power of a tube amp. 6505 or 5150 is my preference.

Attempts to make it sound good in studio will generally end in failure unless you know what mic to use, how to place it and how to properly EQ the track afterwards. Recording guitars is a bitch. A lot of the time, people are too eager to begin recording and they overlook the tone, then have to re-record everything when their recordings sound like an evacuating ass.

Await the imminent Nuclearhammer LP!
Amps used- 5150 w/bias and choke mods (JJ tubes)
ENGL E530 preamp into Ampeg EL-34 poweramp (NOS Mullards under the hood)
No difficulties there, although I dare say that the ENGL/Ampeg combo sounds better. Probably because it has Mullards and I personally like EL 34s rather than 6L6s.

I dare say there must be something seriously wrong if recording with the 5150 is causing you trouble. An SM57 and a few "stock" positions on a good cab shouldnt take more than an hour to set up.

http://www.badmuckingfastard.com/sound/slipperman.html
The Prophet Muhammad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orpheus wrote:
The Prophet Muhammad wrote:

Await the imminent Nuclearhammer LP!
Amps used- 5150 w/bias and choke mods (JJ tubes)
ENGL E530 preamp into Ampeg EL-34 poweramp (NOS Mullards under the hood)
No difficulties there, although I dare say that the ENGL/Ampeg combo sounds better. Probably because it has Mullards and I personally like EL 34s rather than 6L6s.

I dare say there must be something seriously wrong if recording with the 5150 is causing you trouble. An SM57 and a few "stock" positions on a good cab shouldnt take more than an hour to set up.

http://www.badmuckingfastard.com/sound/slipperman.html

A dynamic mic, eh? That's the same one I use for vocals. I'll give that a shot. Always thought using a condenser mic was the way to go.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually meant to say SM58, but the 57 is pretty close if you just want to try it.
I would say that condensers are only good for acoustic instruments, vocals, room sound and overheads. I am generalizing here, but a condenser isnt what you want to mic a cabinet.

You can try using a condenser as a secondary mic a few feet away just for shits and giggles.
EDIT: No, I was right the first time. the SM57 is for drums and speakers, the 58 is for vox. Wow, three beers in and I've gone full retard

Last edited by Orpheus on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Prophet Muhammad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 57 and 58 are the exact same microphone, but with different casing. What you are saying probably explains why it is a struggle to get a tone out of it that isn't totally empty and bereft of any life. Looking forward to rigging up the other mic and seeing how it sounds. I used the sm57 on a squier starter amp one time and it actually sounded really good Laughing
Orpheus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devoured Death wrote:
A mix of original 5150 and Engl Powerballs for Cruciamentum.

I've recently sold the 5150 and bought a JCM 800 though, I'm currently using a Blackstar HT-Distx with it, but if anyone has any other suggestions for good distortion pedals, then please - let me know!

I've also had to downgrade from the oversized Mesa Boogie 4x12 cab to a Carvin Legacy 4x12 - I'm not entirely happy with this though, it could be that I'm not accustomed to the sound of it, but there seems to be something not quite right in the mid-range. Perhaps without the ultra thick grill, the V30s aren't actually that great and I should try something else out?

The Eminence Governor is basically a V30 clone without the midrange "honk". Unfortunately, I dont know how easy it is to get them in Europe.

Also, I have heard good things about Warehouse speakers
http://wgs4.com/catalog/british-invasion
They have a version of the the 30 they call "Veteran 30" (which is actually rated for 60w) that I have been meaning to try. They used to sell them for about 50 plus shipping, and now they charge $69. I guess they are selling well! Unfortunately they are also a US manufacturer, so short of ordering them I dont think you'll get to try them in EU.

I dont like the Mesa cabs either, or the Recto series for that matter. Rolling Eyes
eighthplague

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap, bottom of the barrel Ibanez guitar with Lace humbuckers
Laney GH100L head
Behringer BG412S cab
Boss HM-2 distortion or Electro-Harmonix Big Muff USA fuzz
Lots of modulation and delay pedals
holy ghost

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SM57's are for instruments, SM58's are for vocals typically. They're ideally somewhat interchangable but a 57 stuck in front of a guitar cab (about 3-6" away) should net you ideal results. If it sounds awful, it may not be the mic but perhaps your tone..... at the same time Page recorded with a little combo amp, you should be able to get an ideal sound at a low volume, not blasting the mic with a full stack.....

I've had great results dropping a 57 over the top of the amp by the cable, it's an industry standard mic.....
dronevil

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EGC custom baritone
Engl E530 preamp into Mesa Boogie 2:90 power amp
Orange PPC412 with Greenbacks

Have a rackmountable Verellen Meatsmoke preamp being made at the moment as well.

Orpheus wrote:
I would say that condensers are only good for acoustic instruments, vocals, room sound and overheads. I am generalizing here, but a condenser isnt what you want to mic a cabinet.

Not really, the key thing is having them 1-1.5 meters away from the cab then it's all sweet. Having them close up to the speakers are usually not very ideal.

However cheap condensers are usually not that great IMO, I'd rather use a dynamic over a cheap condenser (ie the ones that are under $500).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: