P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

"the vinyl bubble" article
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i acknowledge BOB reissues are nice, and some of them at least are very useful to keeping in print albums that would prohibitively be expensive if it wasn't for those reissues, however it at $25 each or more it really makes me think how badly i want some, and i don't like their gatefold reissues at all, one of the burzum reissues i had was a flimsy jacket, but sounds fine, i prefer that unless the album has two disks.
Piotr Sargnagel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...that most tedious inbred cousin of the ticket tout, the vinyl speculator..."

Ha!

Enjoyable and thought-provoking article! Thanks for posting. It makes me glad, yet again, that I'm not a collector.
Werewolf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

outlaw-recordings wrote:
we were buying records to listen to and hear bands
Exactly. Nowadays - there are so many alternatives that it's not necessary to buy anything in order to hear how it sounds, hence the purpose of buying physical releases is very different.
gasskammer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What also has to be a bubble is the craze for vintage metal shirts. When i tell my non-metal friends about how i paid a months rent with a washed out darkthrone shirt with holes they do not understand...
Piotr Sargnagel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gasskammer wrote:
...i paid a months rent with a washed out darkthrone shirt with holes...

Nice!
Humus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're either exagerating or not paying a lot of rent, I don't think I've ever seen a Darkthrone shirt sell for more than 200 euro.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a few housemates you can sometimes get by with 250-300 USD a person.

On a different note, if anyone is reading this thread and has become terrified about the bubble, please contact me for quick disposal of your record collection.
Humus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
If you have a few housemates you can sometimes get by with 250-300 USD a person.

Definately not where I live!
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, well to be fair those kinds of places tend to be shitholes that rent mostly to college students.
DESECRATOR777

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thing to consider is with all the re issues happening at such a fast rate [high roller, svart etc] it actually elevates the original pressing prices even more because of the actual sound fidelity... what i mean is vinyl made from master reels vs compressed cd files or even a file made from a vinyl... it is worlds difference to the experienced ear.
a recent example is the re issue of manilla road "metal". I purchased the re issue just for the fuck of it because of the different artwork and me being a "completist". I played it against my original roadster pressing and the proof was in the pudding. The re issue sounds like shit compared to the original.
nonwave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i press editions of 100-300 LPs on my label because almost nobody wants these records. it has nothing to do with "creating rarity". i'm sure plenty of other labels and bands felt the same way.
Zombie Dance

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
New goal: convince young buyers of vinyl that the value of their purchases comes out of speakers, not out of auction sites. After all, itís just a piece of vinyl.

Wow! Most clever thing i've read in a long long time!
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonwave wrote:
i press editions of 100-300 LPs on my label because almost nobody wants these records. it has nothing to do with "creating rarity". i'm sure plenty of other labels and bands felt the same way.

I think people are talking more about Earache pressing only 1500 copies of Left Hand Path, but offering five different colors in varying quantities, the lowest being 100. That is probably a record where Earache could press 5000 black copies and sell every unit, eventually. That is a completely different circumstance than yours.
astralvesl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:
nonwave wrote:

I think people are talking more about Earache pressing only 1500 copies of Left Hand Path, but offering five different colors in varying quantities, the lowest being 100. That is probably a record where Earache could press 5000 black copies and sell every unit, eventually. That is a completely different circumstance than yours.

It's more than that too, you've got labels saying no repress, ultra limited one time pressing w/o disclosing pressing number, etc... I mean, really the idea of pressing something in a deliberately low quantity and advertising it as such, especially coupled w/ the no repress bullshit, is just downright absurd.
outlaw-recordings

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DESECRATOR777 wrote:
another thing to consider is with all the re issues happening at such a fast rate [high roller, svart etc] it actually elevates the original pressing prices even more because of the actual sound fidelity... what i mean is vinyl made from master reels vs compressed cd files or even a file made from a vinyl... it is worlds difference to the experienced ear.
a recent example is the re issue of manilla road "metal". I purchased the re issue just for the fuck of it because of the different artwork and me being a "completist". I played it against my original roadster pressing and the proof was in the pudding. The re issue sounds like shit compared to the original.

Totally agreed, but again they only elevate the value of originals for people who "listen to records" not just "collect records", and that is a minority. I would venture a guess that a good percentage of this 'repress vinyl' that is sold these days never has a needle hit it's grooves. People listen to it online or on MP3s and keep the vinyl mint.

Some of these RSD releases even come with the CD version enclosed! I know there was a Joan Jett release like that. Or if the people do actually listen to them, they have no frame of reference of what a good LP sounds like, so they could care less that it was mastered to LP from a CD master or an MP3 for that matter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: