P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Best news of the day (Mercyful Fate content!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheUnborn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalInquisitor wrote:
Being myself a fan of both KD and MF for more than a decade, I can somewhat agree with Black_Fire - Watching a DVD bores me after 3 or 4 views, unlike a cd that I can listen to for years and don't get bored at all with it. Dunno if I explained myself clearly enough.

Sure thing, but it's definitely not pointless releases if you ask me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUnborn wrote:
MetalInquisitor wrote:
Being myself a fan of both KD and MF for more than a decade, I can somewhat agree with Black_Fire - Watching a DVD bores me after 3 or 4 views, unlike a cd that I can listen to for years and don't get bored at all with it. Dunno if I explained myself clearly enough.

Sure thing, but it's definitely not pointless releases if you ask me.

Not pointless at all. In fact I'm very much interested in these releases. Even if they'll end up gathering dust on my shelf after watching them a couple of times.
Dodens Grav

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody with thousands of records has many, many, many classics that gather dust over the years anyway, so dvds are no different as far as I'm concerned. The only early MF footage I've ever seen was that 3 song DVD released with the 25th anniversary edition of Melissa, so I'm very, very excited for this, and have been waiting for years now since I first heard mention of its possibility.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodens Grav wrote:
Anybody with thousands of records has many, many, many classics that gather dust over the years anyway, so dvds are no different as far as I'm concerned. The only early MF footage I've ever seen was that 3 song DVD released with the 25th anniversary edition of Melissa, so I'm very, very excited for this, and have been waiting for years now since I first heard mention of its possibility.

The Abigail rerelease also has a bonus DVD with footage from a gig in Sweden from '87 if I recall correctly. It's one of the coolest dvds I own.
metalmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always wondered why, aftyer many years, we still think that Metal bands (any kind) must do it all in a underground way, not earning any money of releasing lps, cds or dvds. All people have expenses and bills to pay, even the most satanic undergound and uknown bands have to eat. I see no problem why a band wants to make money off playing music.
Opolus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People actually complaining about official DVDs coming up by MERCYFUL FATE and KING DIAMOND, both covering the most classical era of both bands? Pfff, what's wrong with people nowadays, all that bitchy whining about nearly anything!!! Rolling Eyes
Detest Records

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opolus wrote:
People actually complaining about official DVDs coming up by MERCYFUL FATE and KING DIAMOND, both covering the most classical era of both bands? Pfff, what's wrong with people nowadays, all that bitchy whining about nearly anything!!! Rolling Eyes

Let's call that frustration ...
Gotharus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been huge fan of Mercyful and Diamond for a long time, so i can`t wait for this DVD. Especially Mercyful fate DVD. I think is cool to put something like this, it is the only chance, to see Mercyful in the beginning of their road.
Xeniteia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, about the cash thing. It seems that KING DIAMOND lives off his music, and told once he would not release any new MF album because these albums don't sell enough to be worth the time. At least he's more honest than others, and he still plays quality and untrendy music, unlike dozen of other "legends".

But I do agree with Black_Fire's point of view. It's even worse for me. I listen to DVDs only to listen to the music, so I prefer to get live CDs instead, or to go to real shows. It simply bores me staying an hour watching a live perfomance on a screen.

Otherwise I'll buy both, because these MF/KD shows always have a great atmosphere.
Dodens Grav

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never heard anything about King Diamond being able to live off of his music.
TheUnborn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodens Grav wrote:

He has lived off his music since the early days.
I've read that in quite a few interviews with him.
Here's an excerpt from an interview I found:

-

Interviewer: Cool. Well, I have to get back to the questionÖ.
King: And thatís the thing where instead of spending two months in the studio we spent maybe four weeks instead. Thereís a lot of money saved from what we normally do. We had to ship gear forth and back but in the long run, you know, for a smaller budget, we can do that with King Diamond. The difference between Mercyful Fate and King Diamond, Iíll get to it, is that King Diamond always sold more albums.

Interview: Okay.
King: We always had better contracts [then Mercyful Fate]. We always had bigger budgets, you know. And that still reflects today, itís the same situation today. And when we had to renegotiate the contracts, um, the Mercy contract, you know, I mean if we go in and do a Mercy album, I wonít make a dime. I think we wonít make a dime. It would be for fun.

Interviewer: Right, okay.
King: And to be able to do that, there has to be that vacuum in what King Diamond does to go in and do [a Mercyful Fate record] for fun. I canít say like we did before: ďOkay, weíll do a King Diamond [record, then] weíll do a Mercyful Fate [record]Ē Ďcause at that time it was okay to make less but you could still make money to live off [of it], you know.

Interviewer: Right.
King: But if it was only Mercyful Fate, I can put it this clearly, if there was only Mercyful Fate today, there would not be anything because itís impossible for us to live off those deals that Mercy has.

Interviewer: Okay. I appreciate your answerÖ.
King: But for King Diamond, itís definitely possible still, you know. Thatís a big difference because it makes you either continue or not, you know? And itís not like itís all about money, but when it comes to those things, itís a necessity, you know?

Interviewer: Absolutely.
King: If the money is not there, you know, and you canít pay your bills, then, whew, you have to do something else and then it stops right there. Thatís just a fact. I love it as much as Iíve ever loved it, you know, to do what we do today, and actually a lot of those things -- being onstage -- I enjoy even more now than Iíve ever done before, you know? And I guess thatís because we have such an incredible feeling -- that family thatís touring, you know -- our crew and everybody in the band, you know? Everybody knows that stuff so well that there is no need for worry when we go on stage. There is not going to be something technical screwing up for us, you know. [Weíve got] a killer crew that can make the worst P.A. [system] sound like itís a dream P.A. Itís that kind of skilled guys. And I never worried about the guys screwing up a riff here or there, then they can [make it] sound like I screwed up instead, you know?

-
The_Elite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodens Grav wrote:

Last time he was in London he was charging £30/ $60 a shirt. He's definately living off his music! Laughing
Chit019

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that interview is hilarious, king diamong goes on and on while the interviewer is all like "uhmm ok, ok, you can stop now" Laughing
Blood and Thunder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Elite wrote:
Dodens Grav wrote:

Last time he was in London he was charging £30/ $60 a shirt. He's definately living off his music! Laughing

It probably isn't him making the money. Merchandising companies that have been licensed his shirt designs more than likely see the majority of it. When he was on RR, the bands all had deals with Blue Grape... was part of their contract - at least in the latter part of his time on that label. that money wasn't just going in his pocket.
Then the devil must...

http://www.blackmetalrevolution.com/preview.html
http://www.blackmetalrevolution.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/bmrevolution
SorceressBitch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalInquisitor wrote:

The Abigail rerelease also has a bonus DVD with footage from a gig in Sweden from '87 if I recall correctly. It's one of the coolest dvds I own.

That bonus DVD is KILLER!! I expected the quality of it to be worse than it actually is. I really enjoy watching it. I'm looking forward to this new dvd though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: