P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

A great artist of today!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chit019

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, I like how he focuses on details.
Straxus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one would be the definitive NILE cover artwork !!!

schadel_reich

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straxus wrote:

Interesting cover, however this can't really be used for Nile artwork for a few reasons, mainly related to there being inaccuracies in the painting:
1. You can see in the background on the right hand side that one statue of a topless woman. That does not really fit in with the whole Egyptian theme, ever since that is the goddess Ishtar, a deity of Mesopotamian religions who was not worshipped by the Egyptians. For a band like Nile, they probably won't accept artwork which tries to blend the two into one, ever since they were completely different cultures with completely different belief systems.
2. The griffin shown in the painting does not appear to be the sort of griffin shown in Ancient Egyptian artwork.
3. The symbol above the door is probably connected with the worship of a sun god, which is likely to make it somewhat out of place in a tomb of some kind.
4. Unlikely that any Egyptians who could afford a luxurious tomb would allow the bodies to remain out in the open rather than being in a coffin.

However, other than those really anal points, I would say that it is a pretty awesome piece of artwork.
HELLTHRASHER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy definitely has some sinister work!
My props to him on his fine sketching and shading!

Especially that crazy detailed pic of the 'mummified priest'
insane!
Mastubator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Face Fate Records wrote:

Nice Tiger ...

That does look much better than the 'colored' version that got released.
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuckin' awesome! I loved the one with the pope wrapped in barbed wire! Does this guy have a website or anything?
iron tyrant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devoured Death wrote:
Fuckin' awesome! I loved the one with the pope wrapped in barbed wire! Does this guy have a website or anything?

that looked like a piece by Marschall I think.

Professor Black wrote:
NWOBHM is not a style of music.
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schadel_reich wrote:
Straxus wrote:

Interesting cover, however this can't really be used for Nile artwork for a few reasons, mainly related to there being inaccuracies in the painting:
1. You can see in the background on the right hand side that one statue of a topless woman. That does not really fit in with the whole Egyptian theme, ever since that is the goddess Ishtar, a deity of Mesopotamian religions who was not worshipped by the Egyptians. For a band like Nile, they probably won't accept artwork which tries to blend the two into one, ever since they were completely different cultures with completely different belief systems.
2. The griffin shown in the painting does not appear to be the sort of griffin shown in Ancient Egyptian artwork.
3. The symbol above the door is probably connected with the worship of a sun god, which is likely to make it somewhat out of place in a tomb of some kind.
4. Unlikely that any Egyptians who could afford a luxurious tomb would allow the bodies to remain out in the open rather than being in a coffin.

However, other than those really anal points, I would say that it is a pretty awesome piece of artwork.

The central image with the robed figure under the doorway is taken from a photo from the golden dawn lodge circa 1890 (and may actually be A.Crowley or McGreggor Mathers), which borrowed out of context many elements of egyptian mythology. The Griffon and the winged demon are Assyrian/Babylonian - The demon is Pazuzu, a personification of the desert wind which destroys and shrivels crops and kills livestock with wasting diseases (the same statue which appears towards the end of the exorcist btw) . The Griffon symbols are not Demonic in the original context, rather a symbol of the synthesis of divine and earthly rulership imbued in the king ( see the lion gate unearthed in iraq in the early 20th century).
The bare-breasted woman is a representation of a semetic mother-goddes type, either Ishtar, Cybele, Attis or as the romans knew her, the Magna Mater. Associated with the myth of the ritual self-castration of her preists and many subservise cults in the roman world.

Archeology and ancient history is a bit of a pet topic of mine hehe.

Anyway, really brilliant work throughout the thread. I really like the drawing of the rat.
duff138

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the band, Slaughtbbath?
Straxus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heirophant.326.AV wrote:
schadel_reich wrote:
Straxus wrote:

The central image with the robed figure under the doorway is taken from a photo from the golden dawn lodge circa 1890 (and may actually be A.Crowley or McGreggor Mathers), which borrowed out of context many elements of egyptian mythology. The Griffon and the winged demon are Assyrian/Babylonian - The demon is Pazuzu, a personification of the desert wind which destroys and shrivels crops and kills livestock with wasting diseases (the same statue which appears towards the end of the exorcist btw) . The Griffon symbols are not Demonic in the original context, rather a symbol of the synthesis of divine and earthly rulership imbued in the king ( see the lion gate unearthed in iraq in the early 20th century).
The bare-breasted woman is a representation of a semetic mother-goddes type, either Ishtar, Cybele, Attis or as the romans knew her, the Magna Mater. Associated with the myth of the ritual self-castration of her preists and many subservise cults in the roman world.

Archeology and ancient history is a bit of a pet topic of mine hehe.

Anyway, really brilliant work throughout the thread. I really like the drawing of the rat.

I read somewhere that some of those lions griffon were destroyed in the recently war, fuck, a shame... if it is true...
ThornCross

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Art !
It's a great piece and I like the colors !
Shiru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah really impressive
GsrNsr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.myspace.com/selfdesecrator

vomitart@gmail.com

Twisted Evil
avrlabel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duff138 wrote:
How's the band, Slaughtbbath?

Amazing!
Ichor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heirophant.326.AV wrote:

[img]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228

The central image with the robed figure under the doorway is taken from a photo from the golden dawn lodge circa 1890 (and may actually be A.Crowley or McGreggor Mathers)

it's Crowley:

also used for the cover of NEFILIM - "Zoon" album:

EDIT: I am not sure if it's the same picture, but you get the idea. Carl McCoy is known for his interest in Crowley anyways
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: