P R O D U C T I O N S
 
 FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 
 Profile 
 Log in to check your private messages 
 Log in 

A great artist of today!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Chit019



Joined: 04 Oct 2007
Posts: 2375
Location: California

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, I like how he focuses on details.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Straxus



Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 424
Location: From Peruvian Hell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one would be the definitive NILE cover artwork !!!


_________________
http://sapainka.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
schadel_reich



Joined: 24 Apr 2007
Posts: 846
Location: England

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straxus wrote:
This one would be the definitive NILE cover artwork !!!


Interesting cover, however this can't really be used for Nile artwork for a few reasons, mainly related to there being inaccuracies in the painting:
1. You can see in the background on the right hand side that one statue of a topless woman. That does not really fit in with the whole Egyptian theme, ever since that is the goddess Ishtar, a deity of Mesopotamian religions who was not worshipped by the Egyptians. For a band like Nile, they probably won't accept artwork which tries to blend the two into one, ever since they were completely different cultures with completely different belief systems.
2. The griffin shown in the painting does not appear to be the sort of griffin shown in Ancient Egyptian artwork.
3. The symbol above the door is probably connected with the worship of a sun god, which is likely to make it somewhat out of place in a tomb of some kind.
4. Unlikely that any Egyptians who could afford a luxurious tomb would allow the bodies to remain out in the open rather than being in a coffin.

However, other than those really anal points, I would say that it is a pretty awesome piece of artwork.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HELLTHRASHER



Joined: 16 Nov 2006
Posts: 270
Location: Where No Life Dwells

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy definitely has some sinister work!
My props to him on his fine sketching and shading!

Especially that crazy detailed pic of the 'mummified priest'
insane!
_________________
Addicted to Leather and Speed!
http://www.freewebs.com/metalstormzine/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mastubator



Joined: 05 Jan 2008
Posts: 336
Location: Sodom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Face Fate Records wrote:


Nice Tiger ...


That does look much better than the 'colored' version that got released.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Devoured Death



Joined: 04 Mar 2008
Posts: 1887

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuckin' awesome! I loved the one with the pope wrapped in barbed wire! Does this guy have a website or anything?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iron tyrant



Joined: 17 Jul 2007
Posts: 2401
Location: ITALIA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devoured Death wrote:
Fuckin' awesome! I loved the one with the pope wrapped in barbed wire! Does this guy have a website or anything?


that looked like a piece by Marschall I think.
_________________
Into the Menstrual Night We Go-o, Hey-Ho, Hey-Ho...

Professor Black wrote:
NWOBHM is not a style of music.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Heirophant.326.AV



Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 1352
Location: inside the preserved Moose

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schadel_reich wrote:
Straxus wrote:
This one would be the definitive NILE cover artwork !!!


Interesting cover, however this can't really be used for Nile artwork for a few reasons, mainly related to there being inaccuracies in the painting:
1. You can see in the background on the right hand side that one statue of a topless woman. That does not really fit in with the whole Egyptian theme, ever since that is the goddess Ishtar, a deity of Mesopotamian religions who was not worshipped by the Egyptians. For a band like Nile, they probably won't accept artwork which tries to blend the two into one, ever since they were completely different cultures with completely different belief systems.
2. The griffin shown in the painting does not appear to be the sort of griffin shown in Ancient Egyptian artwork.
3. The symbol above the door is probably connected with the worship of a sun god, which is likely to make it somewhat out of place in a tomb of some kind.
4. Unlikely that any Egyptians who could afford a luxurious tomb would allow the bodies to remain out in the open rather than being in a coffin.

However, other than those really anal points, I would say that it is a pretty awesome piece of artwork.


The central image with the robed figure under the doorway is taken from a photo from the golden dawn lodge circa 1890 (and may actually be A.Crowley or McGreggor Mathers), which borrowed out of context many elements of egyptian mythology. The Griffon and the winged demon are Assyrian/Babylonian - The demon is Pazuzu, a personification of the desert wind which destroys and shrivels crops and kills livestock with wasting diseases (the same statue which appears towards the end of the exorcist btw) . The Griffon symbols are not Demonic in the original context, rather a symbol of the synthesis of divine and earthly rulership imbued in the king ( see the lion gate unearthed in iraq in the early 20th century).
The bare-breasted woman is a representation of a semetic mother-goddes type, either Ishtar, Cybele, Attis or as the romans knew her, the Magna Mater. Associated with the myth of the ritual self-castration of her preists and many subservise cults in the roman world.

Archeology and ancient history is a bit of a pet topic of mine hehe.

Anyway, really brilliant work throughout the thread. I really like the drawing of the rat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
duff138



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 374
Location: NH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the band, Slaughtbbath?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Straxus



Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 424
Location: From Peruvian Hell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heirophant.326.AV wrote:
schadel_reich wrote:
Straxus wrote:
This one would be the definitive NILE cover artwork !!!


Interesting cover, however this can't really be used for Nile artwork for a few reasons, mainly related to there being inaccuracies in the painting:
1. You can see in the background on the right hand side that one statue of a topless woman. That does not really fit in with the whole Egyptian theme, ever since that is the goddess Ishtar, a deity of Mesopotamian religions who was not worshipped by the Egyptians. For a band like Nile, they probably won't accept artwork which tries to blend the two into one, ever since they were completely different cultures with completely different belief systems.
2. The griffin shown in the painting does not appear to be the sort of griffin shown in Ancient Egyptian artwork.
3. The symbol above the door is probably connected with the worship of a sun god, which is likely to make it somewhat out of place in a tomb of some kind.
4. Unlikely that any Egyptians who could afford a luxurious tomb would allow the bodies to remain out in the open rather than being in a coffin.

However, other than those really anal points, I would say that it is a pretty awesome piece of artwork.


The central image with the robed figure under the doorway is taken from a photo from the golden dawn lodge circa 1890 (and may actually be A.Crowley or McGreggor Mathers), which borrowed out of context many elements of egyptian mythology. The Griffon and the winged demon are Assyrian/Babylonian - The demon is Pazuzu, a personification of the desert wind which destroys and shrivels crops and kills livestock with wasting diseases (the same statue which appears towards the end of the exorcist btw) . The Griffon symbols are not Demonic in the original context, rather a symbol of the synthesis of divine and earthly rulership imbued in the king ( see the lion gate unearthed in iraq in the early 20th century).
The bare-breasted woman is a representation of a semetic mother-goddes type, either Ishtar, Cybele, Attis or as the romans knew her, the Magna Mater. Associated with the myth of the ritual self-castration of her preists and many subservise cults in the roman world.

Archeology and ancient history is a bit of a pet topic of mine hehe.

Anyway, really brilliant work throughout the thread. I really like the drawing of the rat.


I read somewhere that some of those lions griffon were destroyed in the recently war, fuck, a shame... if it is true...
_________________
http://sapainka.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ThornCross



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 2059

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Art !
It's a great piece and I like the colors !
_________________
www.chrismoyen.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Shiru



Joined: 04 Feb 2007
Posts: 1781
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah really impressive
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GsrNsr
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.myspace.com/selfdesecrator

vomitart@gmail.com

Twisted Evil
Back to top
avrlabel



Joined: 24 Jul 2007
Posts: 3433

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duff138 wrote:
How's the band, Slaughtbbath?


Amazing!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ichor



Joined: 01 Dec 2007
Posts: 758

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heirophant.326.AV wrote:


[img]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228

The central image with the robed figure under the doorway is taken from a photo from the golden dawn lodge circa 1890 (and may actually be A.Crowley or McGreggor Mathers)


it's Crowley:



also used for the cover of NEFILIM - "Zoon" album:



EDIT: I am not sure if it's the same picture, but you get the idea. Carl McCoy is known for his interest in Crowley anyways
_________________
Good traders: 0%cured, Cutterofgums, s.charlach, peterott, ins88, Mysticus, HELLTHRASHER, CR99
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group