P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

The day jobs thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BreadGod

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a janitor.
Humus

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I.T. wrote:
Petrificado wrote:
Dismal wrote:
Petrificado wrote:
Unemployed. Work part time ish in a stockroom.

I was an administrator for a debt collecting company for well over two years and hated it. Now looking for something decent where I can actually use my degree in Ancient and Medieval History.

Hah, I have a degree in Ancient history too..good luck with that!!

Yeah, I had a great three years studying, but now I kinda wish I'd had the aptitude for something practical. This kind of degree teaches you useful techniques etc but most people look at it and go 'yeah whatever' Laughing

I spent four years studying History, I graduated my first year of Master in contemporary history, then left all this to go to the nurse school.
History studies are interesting but interesting studies arent enough to pay the bills.

I have a Master in Medieval history. If you want find a job that is closely related to your studies you're pretty much limited to teaching or doing research. Many of my friends are doing that now.
But there are other options. I know people working for the government, for the European union, logistics, research & development, or (like me) the energy sector.

The factual knowledge you gather during these studies is not exactly what employers are looking for, but I also found you develop a lot of competences that are useful in a professional environment.
If you've got the brains and are motivated you can land a decent job with any degree.
Hanshan

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I research medieval Chinese alchemy, so that's good to hear, hehe.
Ragingwinter

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BreadGod wrote:
I'm a janitor.

I'm pretty damn sure that will be my occupation from age 50 to 75.
peterott

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Civil Engineer doing Hardware development.

Close of getting my timemachine finally up and running. Need just some more Software issues to be fixed until the first trial, ha. Next project will be a transport beam system (called iBeam).
Hallucinogen

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterott wrote:

Close of getting my timemachine finally up and running. Need just some more Software issues to be fixed until the first trial, ha. Next project will be a transport beam system (called iBeam).
Wouldn't those beam transports technically kill you? Even if what comes out on the other side is an exact copy, the former you will be dead, won't it?
Taffer

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting my degree in Forestry. In the meantime I work odd jobs like trail building and restoration.
Thulgra

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in Human Health Services.
peterott

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallucinogen wrote:
peterott wrote:

Wouldn't those beam transports technically kill you? Even if what comes out on the other side is an exact copy, the former you will be dead, won't it?

Well, develop and try out. That's the way of science. Else you wouldn't have X-rays, a car, an airplane, penicillin, ...
I.T.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalinorgel wrote:
Well put.

But as you say - at least we had a good time. Don't regret anything.

That's it. No job opportunity but at least interesting years.
goatmolestor

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been a butcher for 5 years now, currently working at a meatworks so its basically the easiest job ever breaking carcases with headphones in all day, the coin is ok from it $980 aud take home a week + whatever steaks i want for lunch or dinner

vilifiercult@gmail.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
goatmolestor

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timon wrote:
graphic designer in a computer store at the moment. but I want to be a butcher if I get the chance from one who seeks for an apprentice.

wouldnt recommend getting into the meat industry unless the pay rate is higher in europe than england, i was looking at moving to england last year and the hourly rate for a butcher is laughable compared to australia and even then its a joke over here compared to other trades (in comparison, my hourly wage is $27ph aud and a plumber/sparkie is $40-$50ph) hell even a forklift driver with a few extra tickets (hi reach + cold room) is about my hourly wage for a few 2-3 day courses instead of a 3 year apprenticeship

vilifiercult@gmail.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Timon

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goatmolestor wrote:
Timon wrote:
graphic designer in a computer store at the moment. but I want to be a butcher if I get the chance from one who seeks for an apprentice.

wouldnt recommend getting into the meat industry unless the pay rate is higher in europe than england, i was looking at moving to england last year and the hourly rate for a butcher is laughable compared to australia and even then its a joke over here compared to other trades (in comparison, my hourly wage is $27ph aud and a plumber/sparkie is $40-$50ph) hell even a forklift driver with a few extra tickets (hi reach + cold room) is about my hourly wage for a few 2-3 day courses instead of a 3 year apprenticeship

I see. in my area there's sort of a lack of butchers, so I'd like to learn. but in general is very very hard to get a job, even for who's already experienced. it's almost impossible even working as a forklift driver, noone takes employees anymore in any field of work...
Vapula

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goatmolestor wrote:
Timon wrote:

I could be wrong but I don't think you have to do an apprenticeship in England to be a butcher you just have to get a job in a butcher shop and do a bit of training like you would do in most other jobs and that is probably why the wages are low. I worked in a butchers shop once I left the job after 4 hours I didn't like it all.
goatmolestor

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vapula wrote:
goatmolestor wrote:
Timon wrote:

I could be wrong but I don't think you have to do an apprenticeship in England to be a butcher you just have to get a job in a butcher shop and do a bit of training like you would do in most other jobs and that is probably why the wages are low. I worked in a butchers shop once I left the job after 4 hours I didn't like it all.

sounds like that probably is the case then, yeah it definitely isnt for everyone but beats working in the heat in summer and finishing work at 1pm every day makes it bearable (oh and butchers are usually notorious pissheads so lunchtime beers always go down a treat hehe)

vilifiercult@gmail.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 19 of 21

Jump to: