P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Bands you never imagined would be successful
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black Kommunion

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immortal. I'm not knocking them, but man did they skyrocket in stardom and parody....
IIIRD GATEKEEPER

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weltering in Blood wrote:
Nichts wrote:
VOTHANA666 wrote:
...anything that is considered "shoegaze"....i don't really care for it, but ive seen hardcore metallars liking this shit

Agreed.

I don't even know what "shoegaze" is. Sounds retarded.

There's a clear connection with a lot of shoegaze and some black metal, not expecting majority of "hardcore metallers" to like it but it's there.

There was a time I couldn't actually imagine myself liking shoegaze, My Bloody Valentine didn't click with me at all but eventually I got into Ride and Slowdive thru some other bands, no turning back now...

TURN THE LIGHT OFF
OBEY THE MEGAGOAL
Speerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonwave wrote:
Portal. i literally cannot believe about 9 out of 10 people who claim they like them. i actually think these people are totally full of shit. it's not portal's fault - i think they're pretty good, myself - but most of the people who claim to like them don't seem to actually like weird music at all so it seems absolutely incongruent that they "like" portal. just seems like a trendy thing to say you like Portal. i don't get people.

Because not everyone wants to listen to straight up 'weird music' all the time, but may just enjoy something more technically out there now and again. Secondly, most weird music quite simply is just 'weird music' and has little else to engage people with. 99% of technical metal definitely falls into the latter.

Portal do what they do very well, have the sense to throw in something memorable every now and again in the midst of the chaos, and most importantly have a coherent mood to wrap it all up (I was going to say coherent aesthetic, but opens up accusations of falling for gimmicks).

Back OT:

Satyricon's rise to fame wasn't an obvious one.
Why the fuck Napalm Death became metal B-listers AFTER all their vital work is a complete mystery.
Black Kommunion

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blame Satryicon for Watain's downfall....
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vlad Tepes/Mutiilation and all the ridiculous LLN circus. Retarded garbage when it came out, retarded garbage now. I knew black metal fans are only slightly smarter than crustaceans but I thought not even people with severe mental issues would ever find that shit remotely interesting.

Bottom line, do never underestimate metalheads' natural retardedness.
Dalihrob

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Said the King of retards himself.
Zombie Dance

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
Vlad Tepes/Mutiilation

Well, would you really call these bands successfull? I know you hate them and you won't miss a chance to recall it, but if these band have a certain popularity, they are the opposite of successful. I think Watain and Satyricon are good examples of obscure bands becoming successful, selling a lot of albums etc...

Anyway my point was selling an album of an obscure band on ebay for 1000 and generating tons of bootlegs is not my definition of successful.

The only band i can think right now would be Ghost, not because they are shit but because i don't see anything special about them...
Holocaust

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
Vlad Tepes/Mutiilation and all the ridiculous LLN circus. Retarded garbage when it came out, retarded garbage now. I knew black metal fans are only slightly smarter than crustaceans but I thought not even people with severe mental issues would ever find that shit remotely interesting.

Bottom line, do never underestimate metalheads' natural retardedness.

I still don't think theyre as popular as you think, just more accessible then other lofi black metal demo bands. I know the guy from full moon productions threw away a bunch of Vlad Tepes tapes because they did not sell.

I imagine the Drakkar re-issues will sell better but still sit around for a long time....
VATRA I SUMPOR

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manowar
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also:

Behemoth: someone needs to explain me how their Morbid Angel rip off crap suddenly turned them into international stars.

Dimmu Borgir: thought they were decent second tier Norwegian bm when I heard the 7" in '94 and with that Disney-like bandname I didn't expect them to go that far really. The living proof of the importance of smart marketing techniques applied to metal.

Emperor: even if I saw their potential, I didn't think they would become what apparently was the single most important and influential band in metal from '95 to '97
nomapple

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, a bit outside the realms of this board, but Converge. They write very abrasive hardcore/metalcore (not the August Burns Red kind), yet seem to have worked their way up from bar venues, to tiny clubs, and are now selling out 1000-1500 cap venues. Last time they played in London it was a venue with 2 balcony levels I think. Weird.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombie Dance wrote:
NK7 wrote:
Vlad Tepes/Mutiilation

Well, would you really call these bands successfull?

If by "successful" one means selling millions of copies worldwide, you have a point. To me "successful" also contemplates going from zero fans to a few thousands in five years or less.
Vegeta

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watain - very suprised how their popularity skyrocketed after sworn to the dark

Toxic Holocaust - same happened after Hell on Earth it seems, didnt expect that

Denial of God - going from 20 years of small club-gigs with UG acts and occasional underground festival gigs, to what seems like overnight, releasing a 2nd album and now playing the Rockhard and Party San festivals has been pretty amazing to look at. Im very excited to see where this band goes next

Volbeat - I remember when I saw them support Metallica in Aarhus where I was suprised how many showed up in their shirts, and I had heard of them as being a popular rock band- but within Denmark, and not dubbed 'legendary' or 'monumental'. and suddenly, BOOM* :
headlining at W:O:A and Roskilde Festival and sold out tours in almost every country I know how to spell

blewcheer wrote:
I prefer to mosh in my banana costume to Mütiilation alone at home, as god intended.
Sinner

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vegeta wrote:
Volbeatl

Man, that band is do damn terrible.
Vegeta

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sinner wrote:
Vegeta wrote:
Volbeatl

Man, that band is do damn terrible.

yep - but apparantly they're the biggest thing right now.. not only by danish standards

blewcheer wrote:
I prefer to mosh in my banana costume to Mütiilation alone at home, as god intended.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: