P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Bands you never imagined would be successful
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallucinogen wrote:
Nightgaunt wrote:
Urfaust -

I agree with many of the opinions in this thread, but Urfaust I will never understand. Absolute garbage music.

I don't really get why anyone is surprised at some of these bands. Watain? DSO? Nachtmystium? Ghost? They write accessible music that revolves more around their image than their writing. People eat that shit up.
Lmao, how does DsO write "accessible" music?

Apparently in places with more than one doorway in and out. Perhaps a train station?
mithrandir

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metalheads hate success, although I guess it was okay for Maiden, Prierst, Ozzy, etc...
The_Elite

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If selling 500 records counts as successful is it any wonder most metal fans are in such low paid jobs. No ambition/ foresight whatsoever.
Nightgaunt

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:
Nightgaunt wrote:
Urfaust -

I agree with many of the opinions in this thread, but Urfaust I will never understand. Absolute garbage music.

I don't really get why anyone is surprised at some of these bands. Watain? DSO? Nachtmystium? Ghost? They write accessible music that revolves more around their image than their writing. People eat that shit up.

I would have to strongly disagree. Der freiwillige Bettler is a great album actually. Wink

I'm actually impressed with this album vocally, that's about it though. 3rd Mystifier album had better operatic vocals imo. I'd rather listen to Nagelfar or something for better German black metal riffs.

mithrandir wrote:
Metalheads hate success, although I guess it was okay for Maiden, Prierst, Ozzy, etc...

No, we hate shitty riffs. Anyone who hates a band based on success alone is a poser.
Hallucinogen

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:
Hallucinogen wrote:
Nightgaunt wrote:
Urfaust -

Lmao, how does DsO write "accessible" music?

Apparently in places with more than one doorway in and out. Perhaps a train station?
I'm sure this is supposed to be amusing in some way, but I do not think myself queer enough to quite grasp it.
Stalinorgel
banned

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mithrandir wrote:

A lot of things were different in the 80ies: The bands, the fans, the market, the social acceptance of Heavy Metal in general, etc.pp...
Dalen

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illumination wrote:
I will also add the obvious fact that Nachtmystium (or Blake Judd to be more precise) have made habit of ripping off their fans. And I will also say that on the three occasions that I have seen them live, they have looked like they could hardly be bothered to play (especially the last time I saw them, when they toured for 'Addicts'). They have also played the shortest set I've seen for a headline band at around 40 mins.

I have quite liked some of their material but ultimately I think they deserve nothing.

I've seen them live twice so far and I do believe they can do better than that. They're a good live band overall, but I don't think they can reproduce that well the magic of the studio stuff.

I understand the rip off thing, but that doesn't ruin my view on their music. I don't really know why, based on my beliefs it normally should but I guess I see this more as an act of a person and not an artist. It would make me stop supporting the music by buying any Nachtmystium related products, but not enjoying it any less.
Mikael

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Elite wrote:
If selling 500 records counts as successful is it any wonder most metal fans are in such low paid jobs. No ambition/ foresight whatsoever.

Certain names are always hyped in forums, so they seem to be big names in the UG, but it's hard to know what they actually sell, 500 or 5000 copies. So some bands seems to be more successful than what they actually are sales-wise. For example Urfaust (just mentioning them as they were mentioned in the topic), when they release something it seems that there's a lot of interest, but I have no actual idea what they sell, 2000 copies or 10000 copies, but they seem to be a bigger names in the UG. You have more insight in the matter, but regular posters who're not involved with labels might have no idea.
Dalen

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always depends, if you're talking about Urfaust you obviously compare them to other underground names of that category. In that field, yeah they are a considerably successful band.
Nosferatu

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll never get why you should would hate on success. it's fucking great that more people gets pummeled by satan instead of Bieber.

it would be great if katharsis or any other nwn scenester darling got as big as Slayer.

by the way, what's the difference between say Slayer and Repugnant? why wouldn't it be ok for a "modern" band to get big? a live ritual with Watain should only be viewed by a maximum of 100? you have to write letters and give proof of your trueness in order to get a ticket? fuck that... the more you expose to that the better.
Dalen

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, aesthetic plays a considerably important role, and I am not talking from a hip point of view. Music is a work of art as a whole, from the music itself, to the artwork, the image a band will choose to present their music, etc. Most bands who got rejected by the underground faced criticism cos their aesthetic changed as they grew bigger. And it does make sense, there's a reason why some 'scenes' are called underground or mainstream, you know.
Xeniteia

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being successful, while doing all the necessary promotion isn't a crime. Whoring is. And it doesn't take a Ph.D to know whose successful bands are whoring themselves.
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winterfylleth - mediocre compositions at best, on stage they look like a bunch of embarrassing dad's on holiday, and the obvious revisionism they've done in the past few years is beyond embarrassing.

Nachtmystium is another baffling one. Again, mediocre composition, they look like a bunch of nerds, the guy is a well known junkie and rip off... but yet something has worked for them!
Pestkrieg

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devoured Death wrote:
Winterfylleth - mediocre compositions at best, on stage they look like a bunch of embarrassing dad's on holiday, and the obvious revisionism they've done in the past few years is beyond embarrassing.

I haven't heard much of their music somehow, but found watching them live pretty hideous. Chubby, charisma-free, posh boys gurning. No atmosphere at all.
antichristopher

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nargaroth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: