P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

The Castle of "De Mysteriis dom Sathanas"... Real?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s.charlach wrote:
Bran Castle is often marketed as "Dracula's Castle", but that's -as Albin already said- wrong. As far as I know Bran Castle was built around 1212 and was a stronghold of the Teutonic Order. Later Vlad just used the building as headquarter for his raids. The actual Dracula Castle is Poenari Castle -situated above the river Arges- and lies in ruins these days. So yeah, Black_Fire, I guess a preserved historic fortress is easier to turn into cash as holiday destination than some overgrown bricks on a hill.

Exactly . This one was rebuilt by Vlad tepes in 1457 and is near a town called Rimnicu vilsea . The Bran castle , which is beautiful too , is near Brasov .
Concerning Vlad tepes I know a movie was made about his real story , can somebody brings me informations on this one ?
Straxus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kapalika wrote:
Now, I won´t join this little slugfest. ^^
Anyway, a question concerning the title and something for those who know their latin:
Shouldn´t the record be referred to as "De Mysteriis Dom. Sathanas"? There is a dot behind "dom" on the cover, is that an abbreviation for Dominus?

Fuck !!!

Never noticed the "." !!!!!!!!!

and never heared that iin any place !!!!!!!!
Chit019

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I read that "." in some zine too, and how it is not a perfect well suited translation for latin or something like that.
tomas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This album is great! Possibly on of the best BM albums ever!!!
Someone made a clever remark about how dissing early 90s scandinavian black metal is the cool thing to do nowadays. It's true I think. The trend has changed, now you have to sound like Blasphemy instead of Darkthrone or Mayhem Smile
CR99

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but there are plenty other albums from Norway released in the early 90ies which sound just way better for me. And I'm most probably not alone.
Black_Fire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the "old" Norway I dont like many bands like Immortal, Saytyrcion, Emperor found good only on demos... Maybe some Darkthrone, but for sure DT (in black days!) sound wrost than Mayhem. All this stuff is a far away from Mayhem cult for me
www.doomzine.bandcamp.com
CR99

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that's ok but I was going to say, not all who dont like the Mayhem debut are "Norse Metal H8TAS"
schadel_reich

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomas wrote:
This album is great! Possibly on of the best BM albums ever!!!
Someone made a clever remark about how dissing early 90s scandinavian black metal is the cool thing to do nowadays. It's true I think. The trend has changed, now you have to sound like Blasphemy instead of Darkthrone or Mayhem Smile

I personally don't think it is so much a trend to diss early 90's Scandinavian black metal but more as some people being a bit more vocal about the fact that early 90's Scandinavian black metal is highly over-rated. I still like a bit of early Norwegian black metal, however I still think that a lot of it is highly overrated, because although some of it is very good and worth a lot of praise, there was stuff produced elsewhere which was far, far better.
Distinguish to Kill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albin wrote:
Straxus wrote:
3. Do you know the story about how MAYHEM came with the idea of that cover?

I've heard or read that Inner circle was about to destroy this cathedral with explosive . The explosive police found at Varg Vikernes house .
Also this cover have a dark atmosphere , so it would be a simple but great reason .

Heard Grishfuck wanted to do that with the explosive he had, which he denied. According to an article on burzum.com, he wanted to blow up the “Blitz House” in which punks lived, don’t know if it was a squat or not.

In the documentary “Once Upon a Time in Norway”, members of the old scene say Euronymous had serious plans to blow Nidarosdomen up.
OrdenSatani

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random input: I highly disagree about Mayhem being labled a 'second wave' black metal band. They've been around since the first wave alongside other classic bands. Of course they weren't such a serious band until the De Mysteriis era, but it doesn't take away from the raw carnage that is Deathcrush and the other early Mayhem material.
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
utter shit? he is great on the album. ever heard of tormentor?? he was great there and he is great on de mysteriis too. maybe the "operatic" parts are "kind of" shitty, but over all, the vocals are fucking great.

I'm sure this has been mentioned in the thread somewhere, but he sounds completely different on Tormentor recordings. It would've been perfect if he would've stuck to the old Tormentor vocal style on DMDS. Of course the utlimate would have been if Dead had sung on it. The two tracks from Projections of the Stained Mind are the best Mayhem recordings ever.

Web: nwnprod.com

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

Distinguish to Kill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree on the point you made, OrdenSatani. Guess I don’t have to tell you the bands generally seen as first wave bands were no more serious than Mayhem, rather less; Manheim said they saw themselves as more serious on the whole Satanism stuff, even back when he was a member.
OrdenSatani

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distinguish to Kill wrote:
Totally agree on the point you made, OrdenSatani. Guess I don’t have to tell you the bands generally seen as first wave bands were no more serious than Mayhem, rather less; Manheim said they saw themselves as more serious on the whole Satanism stuff, even back when he was a member.

Yes, of course I view them as more serious than say Venom or Sodom, I just think De Mysteriis is one of the most diabolical albums ever and easily the prime of the band.

Also, unlike a lot of shit "black metal underground" bands of today, Mayhem were die hard metal fans who were knowledgeable in the underground about killer bands - this gives me even more respect for them. I mean REAL death/black/thrash/heavy metal, not this 'kvlt' bedroom internet shit of today. Euro released the first MERCILESS album for fucks sake.... he was a truly devoted metal fan and this attitude definitely got lost in the 'second wave'! There are countless black metal bands today that don't even listen to Venom and Mercyful Fate... I think this is hilarious!
HELLTHRASHER -l-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and sad.
http://www.freewebs.com/metalstormzine/
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it was mentioned yet, but there is a rumor they planned on blowing up Nidaros Cathedral to celebrate the release of the record. When Varg was busted, they found 100 kg of explosives which is said to have been intended for the job.

It's considered the most significant church in all of Norway.

So with that, I guess the cover represents an impending doom (as it's shrouded in darkness) upon the church.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: