P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Comic Books
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manawydan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Comic Books Reply with quote

So I know there's a big crossover between metal and comic books so what you guys reading? currently I'm mostly reading judge dredd (been a fan for nearly 15 years) as well as Crossed which is a cool zombie based series.
HellsUnholyGoat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also love Crossed. I read The Walking Dead comics, hate to be one of those guys but the comic is much better than the mediocre show. I mainly stick to graphic novels. I'll read any Batman graphic novel, also like Preacher, Sandman and lots of one offs. Also like a lot of weird indie type stuff like Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron.
jameswolfe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last comic books I read were Lady Death and Evil Erinie. Id probably like em today, but I heard that both series have been lamed up.
FengisRipRider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a fan of Jack Kirby's New Gods, also the Watchmen by Alan Moore is great. Jack Kiby's new gods is pretty over the top, very simplar story to StarWars however far before it.
harorld

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan Hickman's work is pretty awesome. Pax Romana is killer. The Nightly News, The Manhattan Projects, East of West, his Fantastic Four run (#570–588, 600–611) are all awesome.

Do you dig Charles Burns, Dan Clowes, Seth.. stuff on Fantagraphics? A lot of stuff on Drawn and Quarterly is also worth looking into/amazing.

My favorite thing I've read in a long time was Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli (of Batman and Daredevil fame)

We3 is also worth looking into. Like, a lot.
Wilding

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished reading the full run of this gem of a comic. Ennis is the man. It even surpassed Preacher, in my opinion.

I'm also fond of The Goon, Poison Elves, Hellblazer, Northlanders, The Mice Templar, Y the Last Man, Love and Rockets, and pretty much everything by Peter Bagge.
xyosefx

Location: We lived among the people. I think you say, convenience store. We lived above it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watchmen and The Invisibles are probably my all-time favorite comics. I'm also a huge fan of Alan Moore and Grant Morrison's other stuff. Some other favorites would include Neil Gaiman (especially Sandman and the original Books of Magic miniseries), Matt Wagner's Grendel books and Mage: The Hero Discovered, Baron and Rude's Nexus, The Maxx and anything else by Sam Kieth, R. Crumb, Peter Bagge's Hate, Will Eisner, Stray Toasters, Ted McKeever (Metropol A.D. blew my mind when I was 11 or 12), early Frank Miller (especially The Dark Knight Returns and Ronin), Art Spiegelman, Daniel Clowes (Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron is a masterpiece), Charles Burns... too many to list.

And I'll agree on Judge Dredd. All the 70s and '80s 2000 AD-related stuff was great, like Sláine, Rogue Trooper and Strontium Dog.

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
mlotek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my favourites are more or less Grendel and the Invisibles.
xyosefx

Location: We lived among the people. I think you say, convenience store. We lived above it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heirophant.326.AV wrote:

What's your favorite Grendel arc? I'm pretty partial to War Child, but I've always loved Devil's Legacy and God and the Devil as well.

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xyosefx wrote:
Heirophant.326.AV wrote:

What's your favorite Grendel arc? I'm pretty partial to <i>War Child</i>, but I've always loved <i>Devil's Legacy</i> and <i>God and the Devil</i> as well.

I'd probably say War Child as well, but I really like the 2 red/white/black books with the short stories as well. They all take place shortly before "Devil by the deed", just nice little snapshots of Hunter Rose in action. A lot of them explore the question of his possible demonic possession by the "Grendel persona".

They are packed up at the moment, but I have some killer promo posters from various points in the title's history. One is the Bisley cover art for the War Child Anthology, another is a door-sized promo for the 20th anniversary of "Devil by the deed" - thing is taller than I am.

I dont really follow titles very much these days - mainly just borrow trade paperbacks from the local library. To be honest I'm more into oddball European stuff a la Metal hurlant as I like the one-shot format rather than trying to keep up with massive story arcs.
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should also add a big nod to Hellboy. If you can spare the cash, the big hardback folio editions of the trade paperbacks are worth every penny to see that artwork blown up to coffee table book size.

I'm a bit conflicted re Gaiman and Sandman. I had a bad habit of dating art-school Goth girls in the 90's and I think that over-exposure spoiled it for me a bit. Still groundbreaking and original, but I tend to associate it with some people I decided were pretty fake and superficial, so my judgement is clouded somewhat.

One thing I'll throw out as being pretty awesome (as I know there are a few 40k fans lurking around here) is "Daemonifuge: Heretic Saint". Most of the Warhammer graphic novels were a bit shite, but this one was the business. Should be able to find a torrent pretty easily.
xyosefx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heirophant.326.AV wrote:
They are packed up at the moment, but I have some killer promo posters from various points in the title's history. One is the Bisley cover art for the War Child Anthology, another is a door-sized promo for the 20th anniversary of "Devil by the deed" - thing is taller than I am.

Damn, I used to have the War Child promo poster... I got it from my local comic shop when it came out, 20 years ago now I guess. Wish I still had it, who knows what ever happened to that.

I saw the pic you posted of that Devil by the Deed poster, it's beautiful. I have maybe 5 or 6 small Grendel sketches Msatt Wagner did for me at SDCC and Wonder Con, they're all super quick ones but very cool nonetheless.

xyosefx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heirophant.326.AV wrote:
I'm a bit conflicted re Gaiman and Sandman. I had a bad habit of dating art-school Goth girls in the 90's and I think that over-exposure spoiled it for me a bit. Still groundbreaking and original, but I tend to associate it with some people I decided were pretty fake and superficial, so my judgement is clouded somewhat.

I feel you on that... Gaiman's public persona is pretty twattish, and his fans are mostly worthless sad sacks, but Sandman and everything he did before is still gold in my book.

Also, just noticed that someone mentioned Jack Kirby earlier... the one true King! Too bad he got screwed him out of credit for nearly all of his work at Marvel. He ended up doing most of his best work at DC after he left Marvel, though... the New Gods series is legendary, as is The Demon of course.

He Who Cuts Stone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xyosefx I was thinking about getting one of the Judge Dredd Case Files, which one would you recommend starting with?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: