P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

How did you get into metal?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: How did you get into metal? Reply with quote

Hi all.

Just a curiosity really, but was wondering how you first fell in love with heavy metal music?

For me it was hearing Black Sabbath (for whatever reason my family were watching the Queen's jubilee which is stupid seeing how we're not royalists!) and then my brother gave me Iron Maiden's 'Seventh Son of a Seventh Son' on cassette as well listening to the first couple of Metallica albums and banged my head like hell!!! Started buying Judas Priest, Megadeth, Sepultura (early of course!), Exodus etc. My sister's partner at the time also liked some metal too so that was a big part of my introduction too.. I also started somehow not long after, found out about Bathory, Venom, Death aswell. I never really did bother with nu metal...

I'm 21 now, so you probably have an idea of how long I've been listening to this stuff, so since 2002 it would seem, when I was 14/15 I got into metal! Very Happy

So what are your stories?
BlackMinion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me i got a sample CD from a record store called newbury comics around when i was 14 had band like shadows fall,lamb of god,cradle of filth after listening to them i was hooked then their new albums sucks they didnt seem heavy as their the previous album i had bought.then on day on comcast cable shit thingy they had metal videos and i was bored so i checked out dimmu borgir sorgens cammer del 2 after 5 sec i turned the video off was shocking to me then i finally watched it from completely and i loved it so i went from listening to dimmu to some cradle and with immortal.after a year i met a friend who gave me mixed CDs with various bands i cant remember and thats my story.im 17 now

Trade- CHRISTS_DARK_KINGDOM
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't still like that crap do you?
Invictus Productions

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A combination of hard rock and heavy metal from the 80s like Guns N Roses, Kiss, Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Iron Maiden etc. All that shit was on the radio and TV then so it was impossible to miss. Metal was fucking huge in Ireland in the 80s/early 90s until the rave generation kicked in.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yeah I remember Van Halen and Guns N' Roses being among the early ones too. Manowar were another.

I also remember being given a Bon Jovi video. It was shit!!! Laughing
BlackMinion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nekrokunt_Usurper wrote:
You don't still like that crap do you?

FUCK NO

Trade- CHRISTS_DARK_KINGDOM
CR99

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father was in a metal band and let me listen to some shit, but it wasn't so my stuff when I was a kid. I liked more the Punk Rock and New Wave stuff from my mum. Later I was into Hard Rock like AC/DC, Kiss, ZZ Top, etc. ... really late I finally bought this Slayer Show No Mercy CD and I was finished. That was like 4-5 years before, not that long.
CR99

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The artwork convinced me to. It just had to be great
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Peruvian friend in 7th grade got me into Slayer, Napalm Death, DRI and the like. I was already into punk/hardcore like Minor Threat at the time so the transition was pretty easy.

Web: nwnprod.com

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very early age listening to Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath etc from my dad's vinyl collection. Infected since then...
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started listening to 80s hardcore/Slayer/Metallica/Pantera/etc. in middle school, towards the beginning of high school I got into Suffocation, Malevolent Creation, etc...then I listened to a lot of grind/powerviolence, and since then it has been everything else death metal and black metal. I am 27 now and I still find new classics all the time. Also, I don't know if anybody else used this shit, but the first death metal I ever had I got through tape trading on fucking Prodigy. Ancient fucking internet...

Still a proud novice, eh Yosuke? Very Happy
Ichor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started listening at the age of 12-13 bands like METALLICA, IRON MAIDEN, JUDAS PRIEST, CRIMSON GLORY, KING DIAMOND thanx to an older guy from school. After that, around the age of 16 I discovered SODOM (my first die-hard passion), KREATOR, DESTRUCTION, SLAYER, DEATH, MASSACRE etc... soon got involved more into Death Metal with stuff like ASPHYX, MORBID ANGEL, OBITUARY etc and later Black Metal (SAMAEL, MASTER'S HAMMER, BEHERIT, BELIAL, DARKTHRONE...). Started tapetrading like crazy, record hunting and kept on going on the same road for many, many years.
harmless

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1988 or thereabout I bought Appetite for Destruction. It was the most extreme thing I had heard then and I knew I wanted to hear something as, or more, extreme. I got into Metallica and Over Kill after that and then Iron Maiden and then Death Metal in '90 or '91 and Black Metal in '93 when I first saw Varg Vikernes on the cover of Kerrang! magazine.
Black_Fire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackMinion wrote:
for me i got a sample CD from a record store called newbury comics around when i was 14 had band like shadows fall,lamb of god,cradle of filth after listening to them i was hooked then their new albums sucks they didnt seem heavy as their the previous album i had bought.then on day on comcast cable shit thingy they had metal videos and i was bored so i checked out dimmu borgir sorgens cammer del 2 after 5 sec i turned the video off was shocking to me then i finally watched it from completely and i loved it so i went from listening to dimmu to some cradle and with immortal.after a year i met a friend who gave me mixed CDs with various bands i cant remember and thats my story.im 17 now

and wher's your introduction into metal? i dont see any metal band here!

My own real start was when I was about 11 or something and start for real listeiong to first album of polish Kat and first four Sepultura albums. When I was about 12-14 getting the stuff from tape trades (and no matter that was in early 2000-years!!!!), in same time i start to reading some zines, listeing to demos, buying first tapes! I was writting more snail mails when i was 14-16 than now he he! Dont know any metalhead in my area since I was 17-18 (I dont live in a city, anyway still see them time to time) I start to create my own zine when I was 16 or 17, when I was 17 i record my first demo of shitty oldschool black/death project (do not ask me about this, not wroth to listeing) i my first ordered demo get on my 12 brithday, but dont remember for sure he he! My first tattoo (cover of Sabbat's Envenom) get when I just 18 and one month heh.... Now I'm 19 if you ask
www.doomzine.bandcamp.com
Asphyxiation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with punkrock at about 13, but pretty soon turned towards the more extreme UK-shit like Discharge, Amebix, ENT and that likes. Then somehow discovered Metallica covering Discharge and immediately got hooked by "Kill 'em All", the first 100% Metal record I ever listened to. That new musical taste again developed towards the extremes, Death Metal totally took over! Now, more than 7 years after discovering the raging power of punk, I'm somewhere in between Death and Black Metal, discovering new stuffs from time to time and (simply because of having a job) getting together lots of all-time-favourites. I also managed to start a band and a Death Metal dedicated 'zine, so things are going quite fine at the moment...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: