P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Good Record shops in New York City?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oneiric

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Good Record shops in New York City? Reply with quote

I'll be in New York (Brooklyn in particular) for the week and I trust you folks to know the best places to buy music. Also looking for good bars, and shows. Probably will try and catch Absu one of the nights they are playing. Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks.
frostjunkie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Academy Records. The metal that they do have they seem to have absolutely no idea how to price. I remember getting D666 - Pheonix Rising orig LP for $25, Metallica - And Justice DLP for $3(there was no price on it so the guy found the tape version on ebay and charged me that), Sabbath Assembly CD for $1 to name a few...
xray

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooklyn is pretty big. For restaurants or bars, it'll help to know where you're staying or what you're into (beer, whisk(e)y, wine, cheap, fancy, etc). When we go to shows at Saint Vitus (that's where the Absu show is), we always indulge beforehand in some bacon, lard, bacon lard, a mountain of grilled meats and borscht at one of the many Polish restaurants in the area. Mmmmmmm...

For record stores, I am partial to Heaven Hill because it's in my neighborhood (Bushwick) and they have an interesting collection of used and new records. Prices are fair, especially for the used stuff (but you won't get any $3 deals as mentioned above). But Bushwick is centrally isolated from the rest of NYC, so if you're not in the area, it's probably not worth the hike.
Oneiric

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xray wrote:
Brooklyn is pretty big. For restaurants or bars, it'll help to know where you're staying or what you're into (beer, whisk(e)y, wine, cheap, fancy, etc). When we go to shows at Saint Vitus (that's where the Absu show is), we always indulge beforehand in some bacon, lard, bacon lard, a mountain of grilled meats and borscht at one of the many Polish restaurants in the area. Mmmmmmm...

For record stores, I am partial to Heaven Hill because it's in my neighborhood (Bushwick) and they have an interesting collection of used and new records. Prices are fair, especially for the used stuff (but you won't get any $3 deals as mentioned above). But Bushwick is centrally isolated from the rest of NYC, so if you're not in the area, it's probably not worth the hike.

I'll be just south of the Navy Yard which looks to be Clinton Hill? I'm definitely a beer guy. Going to see if we can try out Momofuku, but mostly into cheaper to intermediate places. Thanks guys.
Mendicant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xray wrote:

do you have an address for this Heaven Hill place? I'll be there in May and can't seem to find it listed
GHOAT

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frostjunkie wrote:
Check out Academy Records. The metal that they do have they seem to have absolutely no idea how to price. I remember getting D666 - Pheonix Rising orig LP for $25, Metallica - And Justice DLP for $3(there was no price on it so the guy found the tape version on ebay and charged me that), Sabbath Assembly CD for $1 to name a few...

Is this the place a few doors down from Public Assembly? I only had a few minutes to look around, but it was a decent shop. Bought a Superchrist record.
Climbatize311

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have any interest in weird jazz, contemporary classical, or experimental music, go here:

http://www.downtownmusicgallery.com/Main/index.htm

It's a bizarre, literally underground, buzz-to-get-in record shop in Chinatown. I spent like 3 hours in there.
God Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best metal store in the NY area is in Fords, NJ. Vintage Vinyl. Any other answer is simply incorrect. Worth the trip.
xray

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendicant wrote:

do you have an address for this Heaven Hill place? I'll be there in May and can't seem to find it listed

That would be because I'm an idiot and got the name incorrect. Embarassed

Heaven Street Records:
184 Noll St, Brooklyn, NY 11237

OK, Clinton Hill. It has been a long time since I was in Fort Greene/Clinton Hill proper, so I don't have good local recs. But you've easy access to the G train, which means that you can easily travel North-South. In that case, if you want good beer Oop North, try Spuyten Duyvil in Williamsburg: http://www.spuytenduyvilnyc.com/

Many so-called "beer aficionados" will tell you to go to dba. Fuck them. dba (both the East Village and Brooklyn outposts) has long been surpassed by others in quality and the people behind the bar are morons who don't know a thing about beer. They do not deserve your money.

Out by Heaven Street in Bushwick, we have Pine Box Tavern and Bodega. We go to these two locals when we want draught beer. Not a huge selection at each (not worth a special trip), but if you're in the area and need a beer, those are good. Bodega also has food.

Down by Prospect Park (G train to 15th Street) is Double Windsor. Always excellent tap list, plus good bar food. More pleasant during the day, as at night it gets really crowded. Also in this general area is:
The Gate -- dog friendly bar with a decent draught list
Bierkraft -- it's a beer shop, but it has a deli that makes tasty sandwiches and many beers on draught
Record store. That's what it's called. It is a used record store of the old school: dusty, only vaguely organized, and some of the stock has seen better days. Not great for metal, but a good selection of other genres. 5th Ave at 9th in Park Slope.

In Manhattan, I usually go to Blind Tiger Ale House, Gingerman, Rattle&Hum, Beer Authority or, if I need some raw meat with my Belgian sour ale, Cannibal. All five of these bars are intolerable at night (esp the bars Gingerman thru Beer Authority), as they swell to the rafters with frat-tastic assholes. Blind Tiger is more local, but still crowded. IIRC, all serve food (and almost all of it excellent).

For food, Momofuku is an excellent choice. I usually go to the Noodle Bar, as it's not as pricey as the other options, but still tasty. If you end up in Park Slope, maybe hit Bonnies on 5th. Good burgers and great wings. I've also been partial to Blue Ribbon (two doors down from Bonnies), as it's tasty and low-key (oysters and bone marrow!), but it's on the pricey side once you add everything up. If I want a cheap meal, I usually head to Chinatown and get pho or dim sum. I'll ask my coworkers today if they have any better recs for cheap eats.
BBQ Booking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I back HEAVEN STREET! Academy in the East Village is fantastic, as well, if you're into psych and heavy rock. Black Gold in Carroll Gardens is also nice, too, and they have awesome fucking coffee! They get some pretty cool metal collections in from time to time.
xxx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, will check some of these, since I will be going to NY this summer...
Mendicant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xray wrote:
Mendicant wrote:

That would be because I'm an idiot and got the name incorrect. Embarassed

Heaven Street Records:
184 Noll St, Brooklyn, NY 11237

OK, Clinton Hill. It has been a long time since I was in Fort Greene/Clinton Hill proper, so I don't have good local recs. But you've easy access to the G train, which means that you can easily travel North-South. In that case, if you want good beer Oop North, try Spuyten Duyvil in Williamsburg: http://www.spuytenduyvilnyc.com/

Many so-called "beer aficionados" will tell you to go to dba. Fuck them. dba (both the East Village and Brooklyn outposts) has long been surpassed by others in quality and the people behind the bar are morons who don't know a thing about beer. They do not deserve your money.

Out by Heaven Street in Bushwick, we have Pine Box Tavern and Bodega. We go to these two locals when we want draught beer. Not a huge selection at each (not worth a special trip), but if you're in the area and need a beer, those are good. Bodega also has food.

Down by Prospect Park (G train to 15th Street) is Double Windsor. Always excellent tap list, plus good bar food. More pleasant during the day, as at night it gets really crowded. Also in this general area is:
The Gate -- dog friendly bar with a decent draught list
Bierkraft -- it's a beer shop, but it has a deli that makes tasty sandwiches and many beers on draught
Record store. That's what it's called. It is a used record store of the old school: dusty, only vaguely organized, and some of the stock has seen better days. Not great for metal, but a good selection of other genres. 5th Ave at 9th in Park Slope.

In Manhattan, I usually go to Blind Tiger Ale House, Gingerman, Rattle&Hum, Beer Authority or, if I need some raw meat with my Belgian sour ale, Cannibal. All five of these bars are intolerable at night (esp the bars Gingerman thru Beer Authority), as they swell to the rafters with frat-tastic assholes. Blind Tiger is more local, but still crowded. IIRC, all serve food (and almost all of it excellent).

For food, Momofuku is an excellent choice. I usually go to the Noodle Bar, as it's not as pricey as the other options, but still tasty. If you end up in Park Slope, maybe hit Bonnies on 5th. Good burgers and great wings. I've also been partial to Blue Ribbon (two doors down from Bonnies), as it's tasty and low-key (oysters and bone marrow!), but it's on the pricey side once you add everything up. If I want a cheap meal, I usually head to Chinatown and get pho or dim sum. I'll ask my coworkers today if they have any better recs for cheap eats.

cheers mate - I always love insider advice - any opinion on Mugs Alehouse? it's only a block and half from my hotel and sounds OK
Climbatize311

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and for food: Shake Shack. Amazing burgers.
boogs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's three Academy stores, two in Manhattan (East Village is the better of the two) and one in Brooklyn (Bed Stuy). You may also want to check The Thing in Greenpoint but their whole stock is unorganized. Yet they're the biggest store with hundreds of thousand records, each $2 but you need time.
xray

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Mendicant -- I was there a couple of years ago. It's definitely quality, but their taplist almost never had anything that was worth traveling for on the subway. So, it'll be a good local while you're in town for sure. You won't be far from Spuyten Duyvil either, so it might be worth a crawl.

Up by Saint Vitus, there's a new beer place called Torst. It looks too fucking precious for words and involves the dude from Evil Twin Brewing. (As an aside, after drinking my fair share of Evil Twin and Mikkeller beers, I am of the opinion that these dudes are way overrated as brewers -- the Liturgy or Krallice of craft brewing, liked most-fervently by scene kids who don't actually like metal...or beer, for that matter.) I haven't been in, but will probably stick my nose in before the Absu show on Thursday out of curiosity. Will post an after-action report.

Re: Shake Shack does have some tasty food, but don't bother unless 1) you go at, like, 3pm or 2) you have hours to kill waiting in line. Especially now that the weather has only just gotten nice, every desperate officeworker in all of midtown is going to be lining up for lunch or early dinner. Confused So, yeah, have a plan B in case the place is overrun.

ETA: I haven't been to The Thing yet. Every time I've been in the area, I've had a schedule. Hoping to remedy that soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: